Is spraypaint bad for t's?

Darkmacheen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had an idea. I found these little steel dishes that would work great for water dishes. i did not want them to rust so i figured i could just spray paint them to seal the metal. my question is has anyone had experience with spraypainted items in with a t? and if so was there any adverse reaction?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aren't they stainless steel? :confused: :? Most "dishes" are, so you probably don't have to do anything.

metallica2501

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would try and spray paint them but let the paint cure for at least a week to ensure that no toxic fumes dissipate from the surface. i see no harm in using to the extent that there must be no solvent residue build up in the enclosures

Darkmacheen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no these are just steel, there not like a pet dish but actually an automotive part lol. they are just cheap, and just the right size

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no these are just steel, there not like a pet dish but actually an automotive part lol. they are just cheap, and just the right size
Oh

After you spray them, you should use a clear coat to seal it. After it's cured, haveing water in it should not release any of the chemicals from the paint.

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for the price of a water dish I dont recon its worth it, imagine if it kills the tarantula

Darkmacheen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how about brass????? i can get them in brass also

When you have 42 t's water dishes get expensive lol

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how about brass????? i can get them in brass also

When you have 42 t's water dishes get expensive lol
for my smaller Ts I use lids from food jars there bound to be ok because food comes from them and most people have loads laying around

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i've spray-painted my neon green critter keeper covers to a more palatable color (black). no noticeable adverse reactions so far (almost a year now).

i used acrylic paint, dried the painted tops for a few days in the sun and then soaked them in water overnight for good measure before using them (hopefully to leach out as much toxic stuff as possible).

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i've spray-painted my neon green critter keeper covers to a more palatable color (black). no noticeable adverse reactions so far (almost a year now).

i used acrylic paint, dried the painted tops for a few days in the sun and then soaked them in water overnight for good measure before using them (hopefully to leach out as much toxic stuff as possible).
That's good but I wonder if the T actually drinking from the container that got painted would show side effects that a T just being around something that got painted wouldn't?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I use juice lids..
loads of other things I know are safe..

ask the question.. is it worth it?

Do a test on the steel..
if they are THAT cheap..

but after paint and a clear coat.. how cheap will they be??

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's good but I wonder if the T actually drinking from the container that got painted would show side effects that a T just being around something that got painted wouldn't?
I would not risk experimenting with my Ts' water dishes to find out :)

I just use plastic caps from empty Tetra (its a brand of fish food) cannisters as water dishes.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to say that paint is bad and using steel for water dish's also.I would stick too the ones that you buy at the pet store.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If any of you have ever had a drink called, Crystal Light. IT comes in a package with like 6 containers that have powder in them, and after you use them to make the drink(which is really good btw) you can then use the dishes for your Ts, ive been using them forever now. Work great, they arent expensive either, plus you get your thirst and your Ts thirst down with one stone.

Heres some pics...
Package it comes in:

Filled with powder:

Washed and Rinsed:

In Use:

Darkmacheen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i have been using snapple caps all along i was just more leaning towards something larger for my bigger t's. these steel caps i can get are 2" or better. is a snapple cap ok for all size t's? i was under the impression that the t needed to be able to fit its whole front into the watering source