is she pregnet or is she not

sarahpede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hay people my m and f mated and the male is still trying but the f ignores him. does it mean the girl is pregnant? as i type he is trying but she walks on and ignores him
they are AGM.
:wall: :confused:

Last edited:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why type of centipedes are they?

took me a minute to understand what you were saying, please forgive me :)

-dan-

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why type of centipedes are they?

took me a minute to understand what you were saying, please forgive me :)

-dan-

I think that "AGM" might mean African Giant Milli.....but I'm not sure.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my m and f mated and the male is still trying but the f ignores him. does it mean the girl is pregnant? as i type he is trying but she walks on and ignores him...
Not necessarily pregnant. Its just the way women are.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed with Buthus. Mine mate routinely, and sometimes the females just reject them. "Not tonight honey, I have a cuticleache."

I've yet to see babies after several years of keeping them.

By the way, the most commonly used abbreviation for giant millipedes is AGB -- African Giant Black. More people will know what you mean if you use that acronym. :)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in her original post, she didn't state that they were millipedes. notice that she went back and edited it and put more info.

anyways.. i have no idea about millipedes :D not my thing (tho i'll admit, some sp. sure are nice!)

sarahpede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, for mistakes I'm only 10 and just learning. My mom put AGM in (I told her!) They are African Giant Black Millipedes. :)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No worries. :) I figured you meant Archispirostreptus gigas when you said AGM, but more people pick up on AGB than the other abbreviations. Just for future reference.

Welcome to the hobby! By the way, I'm assuming you're sure you have a male and female as you've said you saw them mating . . . is this correct?

sarahpede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya it is I had the girl longer so I gand her trust then I got the boy and a week
or two had gone by and they mated

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A week or two? My male was . . . er, getting busy . . . within 20 minutes of introducing him to my females.

sarahpede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think he was a litel shuckon up I got him with my frend he peed on us and we drop him

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it's coming out his butt, it's millipede-diarrhea (I don't see that too often -- usually it's nice little pellets). If it looks like it's coming from everywhere, it's probably a solution of benzoquinone that he's secreting from glands along the side of his body. This stuff looks a bit like iodine and smells very salty.

This is what giant millipedes secrete when they feel stressed (a species native to where I live secretes hydrogen cyanide). Be sure to wash your hands after getting any on you. This just means that your male doesn't like being handled too well. I had a female like that once -- my male, however, has got to be the most social pede I've ever encountered. :)

By the way, did you see the picture I linked to in post #8? That's mine mating.

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my 2 cents worth in this subject. My knowledge is very limited since I've only kept them for awhile but from what I see, they're almost always pregnant after a certain age/length. It means they carry the eggs inside them but fertilization and getting ready to lay the eggs are another thing.

From what I read around, if you give them an ideal condition, it should be about 1-2 month after mating or so until they lay their eggs.

ANother thing I noticed about my pregnant (i'm very very confident she's pregnant) AGB is the area near the middle but more towards the end of her. Its a bit bigger and rounder and her segments seem to be larger around that area....where else my males dont.

Its just so easy to tell my females from my males because of this...shrug.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My females always seemed "beefier" than the males, so I'm not sure if that's a sign of being gravid or not. Especially considering how tiny the eggs are -- I spotted some a while ago and they're only about 1mm in diameter.

I still haven't quite got the "ideal condition" thing down. Layers of my substrate dry out when I don't pay attention (probably killing any eggs or hatchlings), and I only have oak leaves on the surface. There's oak branches going into the soil, though.

I probably need to try burying food items as well. I've heard that helps.

Oh, just remembered -- I heard somewhere that the babies do better on a more fruit-oriented diet. I mainly feed my adults veggies, so that could be another source of my problems.

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I probably need to try burying food items as well. I've heard that helps.

Oh, just remembered -- I heard somewhere that the babies do better on a more fruit-oriented diet. I mainly feed my adults veggies, so that could be another source of my problems.
Oh yeah that brings up my question....does that attract a lot of bad stuff though like mites and flies? I keep having to take out the left overs after awhile because it just gets nasty and very unsightly, all moldy and stuff...

So...I don't know about burrying food items in the substrate....

Also, the oak branches and leaves tend to get slightly moldy as well...

Is this okay?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slightly moldy is fine. It's when you have a colony of mold taking over the whole tank that you need to clean some things out.

The only stuff I've found attracted to my tanks is fruitflies, and they're not too bad to deal with.

sarahpede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think she mite cuz he cuerls up in my handes she has not done that sines
we got her{D :D