1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is My Tarantula Too Fed?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Yuzan, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Yuzan

Yuzan Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I’m kinda worried whether I’m feeding my tarantula too much. I’m kinda new in the hobby and this is my first 1-inch or so tarantula and I was wondering if this one’s overfed or something. Thank you in advance for your responses!

Attached Files:

2. Keke713

Keke713 Arachnosquire Active Member

How often are you feeding? Also you really don’t have to mist the enclosure. Just keep one half of the sub moist so the T can choose which ever it prefers.

3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Looks like a healthy specimen to me, add a water dish in the enclosure though.

G.porteri are super slow growers, so one cricket a week is more then enough for a T of that size. You can feed more often, but this may induce a fast and very long pre molt phase.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yuzan

Yuzan Arachnopeon

I’m feeding it once a week. I will do moist the half like you said. Thanks a lot! This really helps me out.

I will add the waterdish asap. Thank you for the information this really helps me out. I’ll make sure to feed it once a week. I wouldn’t want a long premolt-phase. Just my own preference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Are we talking about a G. porteri here? If so it should be on DRY substrate and it definitely should not be sprayed with water. And, no, it doesn't look fat :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Otteresting

Otteresting Arachnoknight

France
    Even if it looked fat, you can just expect to a longer premolt. Being fat doesnt mean that your tarantula is in poor health, just that she'll eventually become more fragile to basically everything that would hurt her abdomen

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yuzan

Yuzan Arachnopeon

I read this a bit late but omg thank you for telling me that I’ll no longer moist his substrate then.

I see, if my tarantula will be in a longer premolt does it mean that its growth will be “slower”?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018
  8. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

Yes, long pre moults are inevitable with slow growing species.
    If you feed once a week like I do on my slow growing brachys I probably can expect 1-3 months of pre moult from that specimen.

A spider that size will probably moult on a 8-12 month cycle I would imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Slings require a bit more moisture though if I remember correctly?

@Yuzan
    Your spider looks healthy, not fat at all. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yuzan

Yuzan Arachnopeon

So... should I moist my substrate then?

11. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I would do half, and just a little bit. If the spider sits more on the dry half of the substrate, you can keep her drier. If she sits on the moistened half, you know you can keep her a bit more humid. This species hates too much moisture so she'll tell you exactly what she likes ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. dmac

dmac Arachnopeon

I use a small (3 mL) syringe as a dropper and avoid the water misting all over. But yeah, like the others said, you can moisten half.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

You don't need to moisten the sub at all for a juvie rosea, just be sure it has a water dish...you can overflow occasionally if you must.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Looks like a average T not overfed! Looks fine tho , I had a overly fat sling die once. I think due to cold winter temps. Went below 65 I think indoors. Had a window air leak GOt as low as 60 container was a little wet . It was first of that type I had.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

At that size they eat a lot and molt a lot. It looks fine.

Give it a small water dish. You can moisten a portion of the substrate as stated above.

• Like Like x 1