Is my tarantula still in pre-molt? How much should I step back?

BobaT

Arachnopeon
Hi y’all! Back again about my Avicularia T, last time I posted a thread it was confirmation that my T could be entering premolt after hunting constantly for about 2 months and having stopped in September. Returning to her web and staying up there for the most part, no sitting on the wall with head faced towards the ground or wandering from what I’ve seen these past 8 months. I understand that this process can take a year but I’m noticing for abdomen is now significantly smaller, than when she stopped eating.
would she still have enough energy to molt? I’ve tried not to stress her out, the only other sign I assume she’s in premolt is she’s closed up an entrance partially but not the other. I change her water still and she has two dubia roaches that are my clean up crew on the bottom floor. Today I decided to rub down the walls of the enclosure for skat and she came out- that’s when I had noticed her little abdomen and decided to reach out to yall again! Any problems here? Am I creating stress for the process of premolt by wiping down the walls? Thank you all so much for previous help you’ve offered.
Current pictures, trying to catch the abdomen size, let me know if you need to see anything else! IMG_5379.jpeg IMG_5380.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
but I’m noticing for abdomen is now significantly smaller, than when she stopped eating.
If this is true, it means the t molted.....molting is the only time in which the abdomen will see a reduction is size.

Is that a molt behind it in the first pic??
Today I decided to rub down the walls of the enclosure for skat and she came out- that’s when I had noticed her little abdomen
An avic in pre molt would not come out of its web tube to investigate anything, in fact it would remain hunkered down as the molting process is the most vulnerable time for it.
Current pictures, trying to catch the abdomen size
Poor pic, but from what I see, the ts abdomen looks plump.

MingoArt

Arachnopeon
From what I have noticed for A. avics, when they web up extensively and also begin to refuse food, they tend to be in pre-molt.
I have purchased a WC specimen a while ago where they refused to feed ever since I got her, and never fed within my care for 2 months. The abdomen wasn't particularly large or small. She was fine and feeding after molting.
I think their pre-molt period takes longer if they are stressed. Since other avics I have tend to go through pre-molt quite quickly when compared to that.

BobaT

Arachnopeon
Can’t tell- bad pics
IMG_5394.jpeg
im sorry, she’s been holding her legs pretty close together lately. I don’t know if I jolted her a bit when wiping her enclosure yesterday. She’s been moving around a lot lately, going from side to side around the entrances of her web. Now she’s out facing down at the very top of her enclosure by the entrance, I haven’t seen her like this. This is hopefully a clearer shot of her smaller abdomen. Should I be a bit worried?

If this is true, it means the t molted.....molting is the only time in which the abdomen will see a reduction is size.

Is that a molt behind it in the first pic??
An avic in pre molt would not come out of its web tube to investigate anything, in fact it would remain hunkered down as the molting process is the most vulnerable time for it.

Poor pic, but from what I see, the ts abdomen looks plump.
She has not molted, but it’s been a long time since she has come out her web completely till now.

From what I have noticed for A. avics, when they web up extensively and also begin to refuse food, they tend to be in pre-molt.
I have purchased a WC specimen a while ago where they refused to feed ever since I got her, and never fed within my care for 2 months. The abdomen wasn't particularly large or small. She was fine and feeding after molting.
I think their pre-molt period takes longer if they are stressed. Since other avics I have tend to go through pre-molt quite quickly when compared to that.
When I got my Avic, she was in premolt too and molted after I had her for 2 months- so this 8 month period along with signs of her abdomen shrinking is getting me a bit worried something else is at play.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 473243
im sorry, she’s been holding her legs pretty close together lately. I don’t know if I jolted her a bit when wiping her enclosure yesterday. She’s been moving around a lot lately, going from side to side around the entrances of her web. Now she’s out facing down at the very top of her enclosure by the entrance, I haven’t seen her like this. This is hopefully a clearer shot of her smaller abdomen. Should I be a bit worried?
You can worry all you want or not- meaning if there’s something going on- there’s nothing anyone can do generally.

I wouldn’t be worried yet

BobaT

Arachnopeon
You can worry all you want or not- meaning if there’s something going on- there’s nothing anyone can do generally.

I wouldn’t be worried yet
Is it normal for her not to eat for 8 months with a smaller abdomen if she’s not in pre molt?

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 473243
Looks like She's trying to figure out how to squeeze through the Air Hole and make Her escape.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Is it normal for her not to eat for 8 months with a smaller abdomen if she’s not in pre molt?
it’s hard to say from an underside view but I got one t that looks skinny , but it just doesn’t eat much . Are you feeding crickets?

BobaT

Arachnopeon
it’s hard to say from an underside view but I got one t that looks skinny , but it just doesn’t eat much . Are you feeding crickets?
Yes, ive fed her crickets, she won’t eat roaches but September she started refusing the last few and stayed in her web for a while. I was told she could just be going into premolt because her abdomen was large and she had been eating a lot prior. So I haven’t tried feeding her for a while because she’d usually venture closer to the ground if she wanted to eat.

no- unless it's a MM
What’s an MM?

Looks like She's trying to figure out how to squeeze through the Air Hole and make Her escape.
I was wondering if the constant roaming in her web and coming out by the door when I was wiping the walls was an escape attempt but I don’t know what would be the problem in the enclosure. Nothing’s changed, I haven’t taken out the wood pieces to clean off skat in a while because I didn’t want to prelong any possible molting but I didn’t know if that’s a possible reason.