Is my tarantula eating too much?

Meebles

Arachnopeon
Hello, I just got my first tarantula. I've been doing lots of research, and it seems that tarantulas don't eat much. My tarantula is actually a pig. I've dropped 2 crix in this week and last week. This week she seemed hungry, so we dropped in 2 more. She finished it all in one day, so we dropped in another one today. So far, she's had 7 crix in 2 weeks! Should I be worried? Is it too much?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello, I just got my first tarantula. I've been doing lots of research, and it seems that tarantulas don't eat much. My tarantula is actually a pig. I've dropped 2 crix in this week and last week. This week she seemed hungry, so we dropped in 2 more. She finished it all in one day, so we dropped in another one today. So far, she's had 7 crix in 2 weeks! Should I be worried? Is it too much?
What type of tarantula is it, how big is it, how big are the crickets?

My L. parahybana would eat adult dubia every other day if I let her and she's only 3.5-4".

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
depends on its size.a tarantula of any size will pretty much eat as much as you feed it. so no worries!

Meebles

Arachnopeon
What type of tarantula is it, how big is it, how big are the crickets?

My L. parahybana would eat adult dubia every other day if I let her and she's only 3.5-4".
My tarantula is a Chilean Rosehair and she's around 3". The crix I feed her are around 3cm.

guywithaspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
enjoy it while you can. Unless you have a very unique rosie, at some point she's going to stop eating that well and fast. Then you'll be wondering when she'll finally eat again. I've seen my rosie fast for 5 months before. That appetite is no issue though. Get her nice and plump :)

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
They usually eat whenever they can. Just watch the abdomen and don't overfeed it and it should be fine

cold blood

Staff member
Your schedule is just fine, but there's really no need to offer more than one cricket, unless of course they're small, but most rose hairs like a little bigger prey. The more you feed, the more often and longer it will fast. By reducing the regular intake, you can also reduce the number and length of the fasting episodes...winter is a common time for fasting rosies.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
It all depends on how much you like to see your spider eat :) G. roseas can be garbage disposals and then not eat for a year.

cold blood

Staff member
Personally I would just stick to a single cricket per feeding, but its up to you, you have the right to feed whatever schedule you see fit. I will say, when the t starts to plump up, I would recommend backing off and feeding less, less often or you could quickly end up with an obese rosehair.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I used to give my adult rosie 2 large crickets a week (1 at the weekend and 1 mid-week) until she started to fast. That was February last year :).

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
The more you feed her in a short period, the longer she'll fast and the less active she'll be.

They're most active when looking for food so if you don't want more of a pet rock, you're better off not feeding her too much.
As other said, they grab as much food as they can so that they can last for an extremely long time without eating once they're completely full since they never know when their next meal will be in the wild.

I personally don't feed mine more than 3-4 crickets a month unless she's potentially gravid.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Personally I would just stick to a single cricket per feeding I'm just too miserly to buy cheap crickets for my cherished pets. I tend to implement a Nazi feeding regime after all they don't eat that much anyway!
Man, I tell you CB, if you would just feed them a bit more, you wouldn't have 200 slings, you'd have some Adult Females for a change. :wacky:

nunoskii

Arachnopeon
If shes a 3" Rosea you have nothing to worry about. I would recommend feeding 2 or 3 crickets a week. And at some point shell stop eating for a while so really enjoy her hungry side bfore she goes on a hungry strike :) hope this helps!