Is My Tarantula Dead or Molting?

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
I ordered 3 adult A. Chalcodes that arrived at my home today. I noticed one was easily moved, even while inside the capsule. I pulled the T out and it wasn't moving. I could flip it over and it still hadn't moved. The tarantula doesn't seem to be in a death curl. Is it molting or is it actually dead?

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you tried a small drop of water onto it to see if it responds?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I ordered 3 adult A. Chalcodes that arrived at my home today. I noticed one was easily moved, even while inside the capsule. I pulled the T out and it wasn't moving. I could flip it over and it still hadn't moved. The tarantula doesn't seem to be in a death curl. Is it molting or is it actually dead?
A picture would be ideal but it sounds dead a moulting Tarantula will still move when touched

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you tried a small drop of water onto it to see if it responds?
I'll post a photo, yea I tried pouring water on it, didn't react at all.

IMG_0990.jpg

I finally
A picture would be ideal but it sounds dead a moulting Tarantula will still move when touched
posted a photo, would you mind taking a look and giving your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Unfortunately, I believe that specimen is deceased. They don’t sit motionless like that when they are alive. My theory is that it tried to moult and was too dehydrated and suffocated inside the old exoskeleton. May I ask what the packaging was like? Were the others that are okay packed the same way?

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
How long has it been in that position and is it reacting at all to anything touch or water ?
The tarantula has been in that position for about 5 hours since I had it and no it is not reacting at all.

Unfortunately, I believe that specimen is deceased. They don’t sit motionless like that when they are alive. My theory is that it tried to moult and was too dehydrated and suffocated inside the old exoskeleton. May I ask what the packaging was like? Were the others that are okay packed the same way?
The packaging was a large plastic capsule type container with small pin holes on the top, I'm assuming it probably died due to dehydration as the paper towels were fairly dry. The other two tarantulas were completely fine however and were quite active the moment I pulled them out of their capsules indicating the weather wasn't really to blame. I'm just assuming I didn't get to the package in time.

These capsules are around 5-6 inches tall.
IMG_0993.jpg IMG_0994.jpg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The packaging was a large plastic capsule type container with small pin holes on the top, I'm assuming it probably died due to dehydration as the paper towels were fairly dry. The other two tarantulas were completely fine however and were quite active the moment I pulled them out of their capsules indicating the weather wasn't really to blame. I'm just assuming I didn't get to the package in time.
Were the paper towels fairly thick though?
Good packaging is all about providing the best possible shock absorption. In transit, a well packed tarantula shouldn’t need air holes as you want to cocoon the spider in paper towels on all sides. The packaging should be fairly tight. There should also be a top capping layer of paper towel between the plastic lid and the spider.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
Were the paper towels fairly thick though?
Good packaging is all about providing the best possible shock absorption. In transit, a well packed tarantula shouldn’t need air holes as you want to cocoon the spider in paper towels on all sides. The packaging should be fairly tight. There should also be a top capping layer of paper towel between the plastic lid and the spider.
I could see the tarantula from outside of the container, that was the reason I first started to worry when I shook it lightly and the spider jostled along. There was, however, layer of paper towel at the top and bottom of the capsules.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I could see the tarantula from outside of the container, that was the reason I first started to worry when I shook it lightly and the spider jostled along. There was, however, layer of paper towel at the top and bottom of the capsules.
Yeah that’s really unfortunate man. It’s not on you it’s on the seller for not making sure the tarantula was secure in between the paper towels.