Is my sling's enclosure too humid?

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Heat it up. Stovetop, cigarette lighter, candle, something. I bet if you add some cross ventilation you'd see a huge drop in condensation.

Be sure to remove the T, of course. Don't want to sizzle the little guy.

Generally, a hole should be no larger than the carapace of the tarantula. Any larger and it may be able to escape. Err on the side of caution, but definitely get cross vents in there. Some of us like to use soldering irons, if you have one of those. Tiny drill bits work...even barbecue skewers.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
Heat it up. Stovetop, cigarette lighter, candle, something. I bet if you add some cross ventilation you'd see a huge drop in condensation.

Be sure to remove the T, of course. Don't want to sizzle the little guy.

Generally, a hole should be no larger than the carapace of the tarantula. Any larger and it may be able to escape. Err on the side of caution, but definitely get cross vents in there. Some of us like to use soldering irons, if you have one of those. Tiny drill bits work...even barbecue skewers.
thanks for the help!

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Hope it works out. I'm sure it will. Is the sling otherwise doing well? Eating, moving, etc.?

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
yeah it seems ok. it ate like an hour ago and took it pretty aggressively. it's never left its burrow but it moves around a lot in the burrow and does a lot of digging. I'm told it's fairly common behavior for a terrestrial sling

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Yup. Good for him. Give him some breathing holes and I bet he'll be just fine.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
Yup. Good for him. Give him some breathing holes and I bet he'll be just fine.
In case you're curious. It's definitely a ventilation thing. I took the lid completely off for 2 hours while working (keeping an eye on the enclosure of course) and most of the condensation went away. I guess I just need to figure out how to get holes on the sides for cross ventilation

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Good deal. At least now you know.

A candle and that needle will get the job done.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
In case you're curious. It's definitely a ventilation thing. I took the lid completely off for 2 hours while working (keeping an eye on the enclosure of course) and most of the condensation went away. I guess I just need to figure out how to get holes on the sides for cross ventilation
Fire + needle.

I'd recommend any keeper to invest in a soldering iron. Essential. Couldn't imagine making cages without it.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I'd recommend any keeper to invest in a soldering iron. Essential. Couldn't imagine making cages without it.
Truth.

I know money doesn't grow on trees, but Home Depot has Weller irons for as little as $20 and Weller is a solid brand. I imagine Harbor Freight has serviceable irons for less than $10. That's right in line with a decent a pair of tongs (which is also a must-have, in my opinion).