Is my sling's enclosure too humid?

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
I got a b. vagans sling recently. The walls of it's enclosure are completely covered in condensed water (mostly where the substrate touches). So much so that it's almost impossible to see inside the enclosure. I know slings need a lot of humidity, but is it possible for it to have too much? What do I do to fix it if it is too much?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Do you have any ventilation..?

If it's too cold, condensation will form. Up the temperature to at least 70.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
I have maybe 30 holes poked on the lid. Its about 68 in my apartment but I shine a lamp on it (just a regular lamp not a heat lamp)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have maybe 30 holes poked on the lid. Its about 68 in my apartment but I shine a lamp on it (just a regular lamp not a heat lamp)
That's plenty.

What kind of enclosure is it in?

Temps should be raised. Thats probably the issue.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
Is it an actual problem for the sling? I mean it seems comfortable. Just doing a lot of burrowing.

cold blood

Staff member
Temps for a sling should be at least 70 IME. A lamp or light is a poor way to heat, it has a drying effect. Either put it in a larger enclosure and heat the outer one with a mat, ot use a heat bath and heat with an aquarium heater...of course this assumes you don't want to heat a room or coset with a space heater.

Condensation is a red flag. Contrary to what's commonly preached, its not humidity they need as much as it is damp substrate. As long as you keep at least part of the sub damp, you should be ok. Ambient humidity and ventilation will dictate how often the sub needs additional moisture.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
Temps for a sling should be at least 70 IME. A lamp or light is a poor way to heat, it has a drying effect. Either put it in a larger enclosure and heat the outer one with a mat, ot use a heat bath and heat with an aquarium heater...of course this assumes you don't want to heat a room or coset with a space heater.

Condensation is a red flag. Contrary to what's commonly preached, its not humidity they need as much as it is damp substrate. As long as you keep at least part of the sub damp, you should be ok. Ambient humidity and ventilation will dictate how often the sub needs additional moisture.
So what do I do to fix it? I don't own a space heater and don't really want to turn up the heat in my entire apartment

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
So what do I do to fix it? I don't own a space heater and don't really want to turn up the heat in my entire apartment
Oh sorry. I've been told on this site not to use heat pads or to put slings in large enclosures. Also, If I put it in a sunny spot in my apartment could that help? Also what is a heat bath?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Oh sorry. I've been told on this site not to use heat pads or to put slings in large enclosures. Also, If I put it in a sunny spot in my apartment could that help? Also what is a heat bath?
I think what cold blood meant, is that you use a larger, second (!) enclosure to put the smaller one in and then heat the larger/outer one with a heat mat.
From what I learned do not expose your T to direct sun light, it could dehydrate your T very quickly.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
I think what cold blood meant, is that you use a larger, second (!) enclosure to put the smaller one in and then heat the larger/outer one with a heat mat.
From what I learned do not expose your T to direct sun light, it could dehydrate your T very quickly.
I figured that might be the case. I just would rather not need to buy anything

BC1579

Arachnobaron
A third, maybe less attractive option, is creating a new environment for the sling. Transfer the sling to a temporary container and then remove your soggy substrate from the present enclosure. You can spread it evenly on a tray or a pan and let it dry naturally in the sun. Then take another handful of substrate and remake your sling's enclosure taking care not to make it swampy. Transfer your sling back into its refurbished home and enjoy. Save your dried substrate for another project.

Of course this means you have to transfer a sling around which is something a lot of people don't like. It may not be the best option, but it would certainly get the job done.

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
A third, maybe less attractive option, is creating a new environment for the sling. Transfer the sling to a temporary container and then remove your soggy substrate from the present enclosure. You can spread it evenly on a tray or a pan and let it dry naturally in the sun. Then take another handful of substrate and remake your sling's enclosure taking care not to make it swampy. Transfer your sling back into its refurbished home and enjoy. Save your dried substrate for another project.

Of course this means you have to transfer a sling around which is something a lot of people don't like. It may not be the best option, but it would certainly get the job done.
would I remake the enclosure with the dried substrate?

BC1579

Arachnobaron
You could, I suppose. Is the only substrate you own the soggy stuff in the current enclosure?

castleforducks

Arachnopeon
no but the substrate in the enclosure came from the same bag, and I didn't add water to it when I made the
You could, I suppose. Is the only substrate you own the soggy stuff in the current enclosure?
no but the substrate in the enclosure came from the same bag, and I didn't add water to it when I made the current enclosure