Is my Pamphobeteus Sp.Machala playing with its food?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I fed my Pamphobeteus Sp.Machala sling a small dubia roach and like all dubias it started playing dead when it noticed danger but after my T had already noticed the roach.

I haven't seen this behavior before but for some reason my T started flipping it over and pushing it around as if to antagonize the roach. Finally while the roach was on it's side, moved to re-position itself, and THEN the T bit it.

Has anyone else had Ts act this way?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Every one of my tarantulas does this when fed dubia roaches. They act confused when they grab the roach and the roach stops like they lost their lock on it. My theory is that dubia roaches don't produce a smell, or produce a smell not recognized as food, so the tarantula stops recognizing it as a prey item until it starts moving again. It is as if a tarantula's primary mode of detecting prey is by movement and smell as a secondary sense. I have spiderlings that won't recognize a small dead dubia roach as food unless it is cut in two pieces which supports my theory that smell is a factor in prey determination.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Psalmos will stamp on their webbing to get a prey item to move if it freezes so that they can snag it

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Psalmos will stamp on their webbing to get a prey item to move if it freezes so that they can snag it
I’ve got a few psalmos and I haven’t seen this yet, it’d be awesome if I could catch it.

Do u just feed roaches or chrikets and worms as well??