Is my Nhandu Colloratovisillus in pre moult

Barry67

Arachnopeon
20190428_141721.jpg Hi another quick question ?
is this spider in pre-moult its the dark spot on the Abdomen that's causing the query.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
No....when in pre molt, that dark spot will take over the entire rump and will get a stretched out shiny look

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That dark spot is a patch of urticating hairs, it's particularly prominent with some NW slings.

It's there even right after a moult:
not in premoult.jpg

A sling in premoult looks like this (same T):
heavy premoult.jpg

Barry67

Arachnopeon
Understood and thanks, i saw a couple of threads down a similar thread where obviously this is academic as all spiders are in pre-moult after the moult, for me i worry a bit about feeding or disturbing the spider when i should not do so. i should just relax a bit... :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Premoult means the period where new cuticle is beginning formed and the spider stops eating and things like that. But i have said that technically they are always in postmoult and in premoult, if one think of the meaning of the word. NW slings are easy to see the premoult. Not beginning of premoult, but when they gets shiny and black. Just stop feeding if slung is plump and the apetite has dissipeared. It is not as they will die when in premoult and if disturbed, but best thing is to leave them alone! So yes, you can relax!