Is my GBB actually a GBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtnspdr

Arachnopeon
Hi,

First of all, I'm glad to finally post something on this wonderful board, I hope it's in the right forum.
It's a classic "I bought something from the local petstore" post, I'm so sorry in advance... :zipit:

Recently I was buying some tarantulastuff in the local petstore, moss, coco fibre etc, always good to have some of this in reserve.
Anyways, I saw that they have GBB slings available, usually I stay away from buying any animal in a petstore but I always wanted to have a GBB, so I got it. I checked it out fast before buying it and it looked alright to me. (tbh I just trusted them, shame on me)
At home I took at closer shot of it and damn, could it be, that it's actually a Davus Pentaloris?

I mean, when I'm now looking at comparison pictures, it obviously is one. Sooo... kinda a 1000th reminder, that you really have to be careful of what you're buying at petstores. :confused:

my spider is in the attachment

I feel like the biggest idiot ever, gonna checkout if my enclosure is ok for a D. Pentaloris, I kept it pretty dry (with a watercup) for the "GBB".

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes it is. If it is in the 3 first picture??? Gbb slings look totally diffrent from adults. When they are large juveniles they start to change into adult coloration. If your spider is in the first 3 pictures.
If it is the attatched picture is a Davus. And you got the wrong spider

Last edited:

mrtnspdr

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your reply, it's indeed in the attached picture, so I guess mine is a Davus. The GBB sling pics are just for comparison :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, well personally i like Davus so i would not see it as a con. I think they ate worth more in the pet trade also? But of course, one should get the spider that one buys

mrtnspdr

Arachnopeon
I have absolutely no problem with the tarantula itself, I just hope that I can care accordingly for it. :) Its just another wild petshop-story imo. The guy that worked there wanted to give me an OBT first, after telling him that I want the specific tarantula labeled as a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens he just told me "tarantulas are all the same, don't act weird", lol.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is why you shall buy from a breeder and not from pet shops. They wanna sell and often gives false informations. And they often buys in WC tarantulas, and that should not be supported

mrtnspdr

Arachnopeon
This is where you should have understood you was in the wrong place
This is why you shall buy from a breeder and not from pet shops. They wanna sell and often gives false informations. And they often buys in WC tarantulas, and that should not be supported
I agree with both of you. I messed up and learned my lesson, I'm still a beginner and naive. Just happy that my T is still alive and healthy, will care for her accordingly now.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I have absolutely no problem with the tarantula itself, I just hope that I can care accordingly for it. :) Its just another wild petshop-story imo. The guy that worked there wanted to give me an OBT first, after telling him that I want the specific tarantula labeled as a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens he just told me "tarantulas are all the same, don't act weird", lol.
I only buy from one pet shop here in Florida. They carry a wide variety, always have someone that kind of knows what they are talking about and will give you the names and order sheets of all the breeders they get T's from. As far as I know they only deal in captive bred specimens.
I still lose my mind when some of the people that work there look at me crazy for using scientific names though. As good as it is, it's still a pet shop.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I only buy from one pet shop here in Florida. They carry a wide variety, always have someone that kind of knows what they are talking about and will give you the names and order sheets of all the breeders they get T's from. As far as I know they only deal in captive bred specimens.
I still lose my mind when some of the people that work there look at me crazy for using scientific names though. As good as it is, it's still a pet shop.
Which shop, if I might ask? I'm in south Florida.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have to say...I've kind of developed a distaste for pet-shops. I loved them as a kid, would always go into them and ogle all the animals. But these days I've come to realize that money is the driving force...not the animals...not the acquisition of knowledge.

I've come to see pet-shops in a very different light.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I have to say...I've kind of developed a distaste for pet-shops. I loved them as a kid, would always go into them and ogle all the animals. But these days I've come to realize that money is the driving force...not the animals...not the acquisition of knowledge.

I've come to see pet-shops in a very different light.
Yes... This yes.. I dreamed of working for them as a kid, now I've worked for my childhood reptile store here in Ofallon Illinois, and my god... My opinion has been destroyed, and they sold almost all wc Ts. I did my best to share the best knowledge and care for the Ts most of which I learned here and some experience+ fish which I've kept since 5 and my dad also kept since he was 15. But I have to say, the majority of the time pretty much every employee did not give a crap about the animals. And those who did like me were overshadowed by the boss who wanted money so he could take more vacations

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Yes... This yes.. I dreamed of working for them as a kid, now I've worked for my childhood reptile store here in Ofallon Illinois, and my god... My opinion has been destroyed, and they sold almost all wc Ts. I did my best to share the best knowledge and care for the Ts most of which I learned here and some experience+ fish which I've kept since 5 and my dad also kept since he was 15. But I have to say, the majority of the time pretty much every employee did not give a crap about the animals. And those who did like me were overshadowed by the boss who wanted money so he could take more vacations
Been there, done the worked for, managed, started etc. pet store routine at various levels and times and places of vastly differing quality and specialties over the decades; unless you have top-down dedicated hobbyists or the room to do things right by higher up that gives a damn... ouch.

The good ones tend to stick around at least I found, at least until the knowledge base moves, retires etc. but seeing them after their glory days is usually a very, very sad affair when those are gone. When you get a bad owner/manager it usually isn't long before the folks that do care and do know their stuff vacate anyhow vs fighting a losing battle regardless.

The rude joke stores tend to trade owners like musical chairs without having a particular monopoly in an area too I find (only to inevitably end the same way, because nobody in the right mind, experience or knowledge base wants to take up the store knowing it's prior reputation and practices...), or just going out of business when a big box option rolls in selling cheaper to the folks who don't give a damn beyond "cheap. Screw proper care, animal health etc." anyhow.

Best one can do is support the stores doing things right, willing to improve or otherwise with a passion, or start one's own if one feels capable of filling in a gap. They exist, but sadly it can be a real needle in the haystack in a lot of places, and many bad ones will taint the well to keep business coming their way including giving out outright wrong/harmful information to erode the customer base of other competitors, to hell with the animals health. Seen that too sadly, especially among generalists without a wit of a clue on something more exotic (including the very easy tarantula). Very frustrating if you don't have a good option and are unaware of reputable breeders that might be an option.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Davus pentaloris, definitely. Beautiful species, easy to care for. I only hope it is not a male. A Gbb also is more expensive (here they are, at least) so they may have conned you in the money department.
Keep slightly more humid than Gbb, provide lots of anchor points for webbing and watch the webcastle emerge :happy:

justLaci

Arachnopeon
oh gosh, this made me laugh :D thank you. and that's why I woud never want an advice from a pet store.. friend of mine had the same problem.. he bought two Ts in a pet store and both of them were different species from what the employee said to him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.