Is it common for Aphonopelma hentzi to fast?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
My little juvie hasn't ate for me in a few months. I know Ts do this but are they more likely?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a couple A. hentzi and one is ALWAYS hungry; it attacks the water dish when it's being filled. The other is very defensive and rarely eats. It just depends on the spider.

That being said, Hentzi are native to America and thus may go through a sort of "overwintering" phase where their metabolism slows more and they will start to eat less regularly. I've noticed that with mine, at least.

How big is your spider?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
He's about 2" DLS. He's a good boy, very skittish, but non-agressive to a fault almost. He's the most gentle T I've owned. Maybe it is the winter phase and he'll pick back up. Oddly he ate like a king february.
I was thinking of switching to roaches from crickets. I wonder if that would do the trick

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is its abdomen still plump? Sometimes these go through long pre molts. I have one right now that's not eating for 2 months now she is still plump looking for her darken up pretty soon. This species take there time doing anything.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Could be premolt. He looks plump and like he hasn't missed a meal. I'll offer him food again tonight, but take out crickets he doesn't eat.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If he's plump I wouldn't worry to much. When they get real plump I feed most of mine every other week twice a month. All of my Aphonopelma hentzies look healthier than there wild counterparts . In the wild they sometimes they go long a time between meals. Even as slings they have a slow matabalism I have seen trees grow faster than these tarantulas .

cold blood

Staff member
Pretty common for all slower growers to fast more frequently and for longer periods of time.....even as slings.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
If he's plump I wouldn't worry to much. When they get real plump I feed most of mine every other week twice a month. All of my Aphonopelma hentzies look healthier than there wild counterparts . In the wild they sometimes they go long a time between meals. Even as slings they have a slow matabalism I have seen trees grow faster than these tarantulas .
Thanks! So he's probably filled up and just letting himself get hungry again.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just keep an eye on the abdomen if it starts looking to small then worry. Make sure he has access to water. When they are hungry in a established enclosure they usually hit prey pretty hard so if its hungry he will usually take prey pretty quickly . If he ignores the prey take it out and wait a week. This species is very hardy. If it wasn't for there slow growth rate I personally think this species would be perfect for beginners mainly because they are so hardy.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
My gf has a 3/4" A. hentzi sling and it normally eats a small roach every other week. The longest 'fasting' period it had was right after we got it. It went almost a month before it ate anything.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Pretty common for all slower growers to fast more frequently and for longer periods of time.....even as slings.
+1. Any species from an area with pronounced dry and/or cold seasons is more likely to fast. If they keep eating and growing continually, they're going to run into a problem when they're freshly-shed and the water and food is gone.