Is it actually possible to stop buying new Ts?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you were broke like me & cannot find a job that you dont think is a Stupid Job (useless Ex, loading semi trucks/ slave labor ).. yes.
Once you break 100+ Ts it takes much longer to feed the slings :cool:
your always gunna get males = which leads to buying more Ts so in the long run NO!

Reksu

Arachnopeon
I think it's hard.. I started this hobby 2,5 months ago and I have 20 at the moment. Well I had few T's couple of years ago, but this time I really got into the hobby..
My plan is to keep 25-30 T's max, but let's see how it goes. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Redapache

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first was an Avic avic and then a couple weeks later I had 6 more different species with multiples of a few of them and then even more things over the next few months until I had around 40-50 and babies I produced on top of that but then i moved and got rid of everything except my large adult female P.cambridgei always keeping her had her for around 4-5 years now but I am now building back up again and I am at 20 as of now and planning to get more as soon as I can.

Skeri

Arachnosquire
Nope. Its legit impossible. I started out with a G. rosea when I was 14. With the order I just made I will be owning 16 different species. This doesn't include doubles that I have. I still want more. XD Ontop of that now my fiance loves tarantulas and is starting to want more and now my grandmother wants one XD

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes it is possible. To be honest I wish I was allowed to complain that I can't stop buying them.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
I do think restraint is important when buying tarantulas. Unless you plan on a large breeding project or really have the time and money to commit to them long-term, a huge collection of tarantulas is not always practical. That said, I know as a beginner that I feel very drawn to buying new species. Right now I want to pace myself, because I have somewhat limited space, and I know that I will be moving at least every few years for awhile due to being in the middle of college, then going on to veterinary school (well, hopefully), and then a future job. The more animals I have to move, the more stressful the process is, and the more room there is for problems. I don't have unlimited finances either for this hobby. I love caring for tarantulas, especially my slings, and am finding them a cheaper and more practical option than owning a large collection of reptiles. Nevertheless, I will be buying with care, and not on impulse.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
Another way I'm planning on keeping my collection to 3 is to not visit tarantula dealers' sites. I got the ones I really wanted and will enjoy these as long as I can.
+1 I check those websites more often than facebook Hahaha

I just reduced my collection as well! I am a graduate student at OSU and I am starting to do more field work than previous years. I want to start traveling the world, but I can't because I own too many T's that require specific humidity requirements.

I kept my two favorites, but three is the perfect number for me as well! I am done with arboreal T's and the next tarantula I purchase that requires any humidity requirements will probably be the T. blondi :biggrin: But that won't be til sometime down the road...

All my T's are relatively hardy species and require little maintenance. I kept my E. campestratus and C. cyaneopubescens!

I am waiting to purchase a third T for my collection because I do not have the time to raise a sling at the moment. But the third and final T will probably be an OW.. :biggrin:

I had to keep my PZB because she was my first T ever! And the GBB was my first sling.

I am glad I am not alone! It was probably one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make all year!!!

~Dano

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I really have no reason to limit my collection otherwise I would. I've gotten just about everyone I know into them on some degree. My fiance even asks me to get certain Ts for the collection XD. I honestly think after this last order i'm content for a while unless I see some killer prices. I obviously still want more, but I like to take some time to enjoy and observe the ones I already have before I go about ordering more. I also usually take time to study the Ts, even the seemingly pointless (not really relative to keeping them in captivity) information. That makes getting them even more fun.

i3scorpion

Arachnopeon
the only reason why I stopped getting addicted from buying more and more tarantulas and scorpions is because of my multiple hobbies like guitar and video gaming, but every few months i start getting addicted again and buy more.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I remember JFB mentioning on my picture post that I won't be able to keep it down to a certain amount. He is right, but not completely. Personally, I only get those T's that I really want myself, not some that others have and say is a "must have" in any collection. Some I agree to because I like their looks, too. Others, I don't get since out of one or the other reason, I'm not that overly interested in them. My collection is to reflect my personal favorites, not someones elses ;)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember JFB mentioning on my picture post that I won't be able to keep it down to a certain amount. He is right, but not completely. Personally, I only get those T's that I really want myself, not some that others have and say is a "must have" in any collection. Some I agree to because I like their looks, too. Others, I don't get since out of one or the other reason, I'm not that overly interested in them. My collection is to reflect my personal favorites, not someones elses ;)
Hahaha. I remember that. I think you've shown more self-control than many of us!

I personally only started slowing down on buying tarantulas when I started feeling like feeding and watering them was taking away from the rest of my life. It seems that about 80-100 tarantulas is my absolute maximum limit. Anymore and feeding starts feeling like a chore, and I don't like that.

Like you, I'm only purchasing new T's that I absolutely MUST have. The list has grown considerably shorter of late.