Is Hot Glue Safe for my sling?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I upgraded my A. versi sling to a bigger jar. To help keep the sticks from getting moldy I covered them in hot glue. They now have a rubber seal over them. However, they feel slightly tacky to the touch and they have been in her enclosure for a day. I havent seen her standing on them. There is also the smell of hot glue in the enclosure. Is this safe or should I remove it?

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should definitely remove it. You are supposed to wait at least 24 hours after you have hot glued something before putting it into the enclosure. The fumes are very detrimental to the sling. Also, if you hot glue sticks you may want to cover them with substrate when you do it. I can't imagine the sling wanting to climb directly on dried glue.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've used hot glue to hold things in place for multiple enclosures and have never had a problem with it. That being said I always waited for the hot glue smell to dissipate before putting anything in it so I can't really comment on the vapors being harmful or not.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have never had problems with it after it cools down and no longer smells which is about 30 mins after I use it.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
I have never had any problems with hot glue...... usually the fumes are gone in 20 minutes or so. I agree tho.... I doubt the slings like crawling on dried hot glue.

I have another solution for "waterproofing" your sticks..... Use silicone. I use the same stuff as i do for my backdrops ( ROBC style). Just coat the area of the stick that will be in contact with substrate. Then coat the silicone with dry ECOEARTH. Then Let Cure for 48 - 72 hours before putting the stick into the enclosure. It prevents the stick from getting wet, rotten, and moldy. I have also made "jungle vines " using this method with felxible rubber tubing.

lotusracer

Arachnopeon
If you're seeing that much mold it seems like your humidity is way too high.

Why would you cover a perfectly good piece of wood with glue/plastic? Just skip to the endpoint and put in plastic foliage or equivalent; plastic forks, spoons, and knives seem like better options.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're seeing that much mold it seems like your humidity is way too high.

Why would you cover a perfectly good piece of wood with glue/plastic? Just skip to the endpoint and put in plastic foliage or equivalent; plastic forks, spoons, and knives seem like better options.
Avic slings need high humidity. We cant afford fake plants, but Im trying to save for some to put in all my enclosures. Never thought about the spoon idea, I might do that.

lotusracer

Arachnopeon
Anything plastic will not mold; you could even cut up strips of coke bottles to be your 'fake plants'. Spiders don't demand great expenditures to care for.

While they may require 'high humidity', my observation in reading is that a lot of posters on this board are overzealous in applying moisture. If you are a fan of "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" you'll find them listed as arboreal, not swamp dwellers; that much humidity to rot branches seems beyond 'high' maybe even for 'swampers'. I have a number of different avics that get along just fine without environments prone to molding.

Buggylookslikeyou

Arachnosquire
Avic slings need high humidity. We cant afford fake plants, but Im trying to save for some to put in all my enclosures. Never thought about the spoon idea, I might do that.
If you can’t afford the fake stuff dollar I’ve raised 30 or so slings and had 7 adults also yard sales and curb alerts on face book you don’t know how much fake plants people chuck out and stuff in general the other day my neighbor threw out 20 planks of wood flooring no mold no nothing. We have gotten just about anything you can think of from Facebook or just driving around on errands keep a look out !

Last edited:

Buggylookslikeyou

Arachnosquire
If you can’t afford the fake stuff they have it at the dollar tree or any dollar store. I’ve raised 30 or so slings and had 7 adults so spending a lot on one enclosure is not possible . Check yard sales and curb alerts on face book you don’t know how much fake plants people chuck out and stuff in general the other day my neighbor threw out 20 planks of wood flooring no mold no nothing. We have gotten just about anything you can think of from Facebook or just driving around on errands keep a look out ! My spoods love their dollar tree flowers! And the ones that are in cloche’s enclosures (the domes run run rudolph,pikachu, and rarity those were purchased at dollar tree so always check around! /QUOTE]