is a Avicularia avicularia a good beginer T

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
the only other T i have is a 0.5" brachypelma albopilosum and i found a decent sized avic for sale so is it a good beginner T

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
They are for the most part, would I recommend them as a second tarantula, if it's still in the sling stage, no, but if it is a juvenile, then yes.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
the only other T i have is a 0.5" brachypelma albopilosum and i found a decent sized avic for sale so is it a good beginner T
What species is the Avicularia - this really is important, some Avics are more susceptible to poor husbandry, others more forgiving, you want to offer a tall arboreal set-up, appropriately sized of course, a piece of cork bark leant against the side of the enclosure, also some fake plants around the top of the enclosure for anchor points, these are essential for Avicularia spp. dry substrate with a water dish and plenty of ventilation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What species is the Avicularia - this really is important, some Avics are more susceptible to poor husbandry, others more forgiving,
This is interesting, which species have you found more delicate? I've raised several localities, one no more hardy than the other.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
What species is the Avicularia - this really is important, some Avics are more susceptible to poor husbandry, others more forgiving, you want to offer a tall arboreal set-up, appropriately sized of course, a piece of cork bark leant against the side of the enclosure, also some fake plants around the top of the enclosure for anchor points, these are essential for Avicularia spp. dry substrate with a water dish and plenty of ventilation.
its a pink toe i thought that avicularia avicularia was the scientific name. guess google was wrong

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
its a pink toe i thought that avicularia avicularia was the scientific name. guess google was wrong
There are numerous species and localities called Pink Toe. A.a. is but one species of "Pink Toe". Think of Pink Toe the equivalent of Poison Dart Frog

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
There are numerous species and localities called Pink Toe. A.a. is but one species of "Pink Toe". Think of Pink Toe the equivalent of Poison Dart Frog
look i know im about to be shunned for saying this but i have no idea pets mart doesnt have its scientific name on the label. i know im not supposed to buy from them but i dont have the kind of money to buy all my Ts online and i figure its saving the T as well so i decided i wanted to buy it

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Personally I don't view genus Avicularia as a good beginner one at all. Yes, temperament talking, they are, hands down. But they aren't, however, so 'tolerant' and 'friendly' like other Theraposidae are (other arboreals included as well, and perfect example, a P.cambridgei) when it comes to the hypothetical keeper care errors.

I'm not saying that they are hard to care, don't get me wrong.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I had an avic avic as my first T and it was absolutely vicious. I have a video somewhere of it jumping off the glass of the terrarium to grab a cricket I was holding in my tongs. That spider never hesitated to attack anything that caused the slightest vibrations and it gave me more than one heart attack. I know that's not how most avics are supposed to be but I now believed that was a wild caught specimen so if you're going to get a T I'd recommend you try to make sure it's captive bred. Other than that I think avics are a fair beginner but you might want to look into what other species are more forgiving with their care requirements and might be a little bit slower than an avic. Those are just my thoughts.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
This is interesting, which species have you found more delicate? I've raised several localities, one no more hardy than the other.
Sorry, the sentence did not mean to single out any one spp. - all Avics are susceptible to poor husbandry is what was meant. I did have more success with an Avic. avic, over a C. versicolour, is the only two I have kept, the Versi died through a wet molt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im not looking to breed any i just want one
Disposition-wise, A. metallica (which is really a morphotype, not its own species) has the best disposition IME. The smallest is A. minatrix, they are flighty though.

If you are concerned it might die because you are new to them, just get a standard A. avic.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
My first T was a 0.5" B. albo, second T was an A. avic and I got two C. versicolors soon after, along with other sp. As long as you have researched their care (I don't have links saved to the avic threads by @viper69 and @Venom1080, but they are loaded with info on proper avic care) then I'd say get one, even a sling. Yes, slings have a more narrow husbandry needs, but they are still easy to care for. They are awesome Ts and really simple to care for as long as you know what you're doing.

I would say, if you haven't already, read the threads I mentioned. I'll look for links to post here for you, but someone else may beat me to it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My first T was a 0.5" B. albo, second T was an A. avic and I got two C. versicolors soon after, along with other sp. As long as you have researched their care (I don't have links saved to the avic threads by @viper69 and @Venom1080, but they are loaded with info on proper avic care) then I'd say get one, even a sling. Yes, slings have a more narrow husbandry needs, but they are still easy to care for. They are awesome Ts and really simple to care for as long as you know what you're doing.

I would say, if you haven't already, read the threads I mentioned. I'll look for links to post here for you, but someone else may beat me to it.
Don't mean to be rude. But if people could stop tagging me for that, it'd be great.

Kiraral

Arachnopeon
Avicularia avicularia is commonly called a pink toe.

And adult Avic avic was my first T. Just don’t underestimate it jumping! I can’t add anything regarding care, the best info has been linked.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
first of all BUMP!
second of all this is the spider im going to buy
GettyImages-178947057-5816ba5b5f9b581c0b810547.jpg
third of all i was right it is in fact called an Avicularia avicularia according to google
fourth of all is this a good beginner T

cold blood

Staff member
Avicularia avicularia is commonly called a pink toe.
All members of the Avicularia genus are commonly referred to as pink toes. Avicularia avicularia is commonly referred to as the common pink toe, or the Guyana pink toe.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
My first tarantula was an A avicularia named muffin. He was a perfect first t. My only concern for a beginner would be finding a suitable aboreal enclosure.