Iomacus politus and Rieppeleon brevicaudatus

:wumpscut:

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am pushing a multi species habitat idea to an old client who feels it might woork. I know it will work. The habitat will house Iomacus politus and Rieppeleon brevicaudatus together. they both occupy different niches and are active at different times. My only question is where exactly are the Iomacus politus found in the wild. I don't mean what country, i know that. i mean what area. I can't go forward with out knowing this accurately. does anyone here know what their locale is as well as their typical micro-habitat?

Thanks,

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why do you say that? okay...??? are you familiar with Rieppeleon brevicaudatus? do you know their behaviors and the same for the Iomacus politus? just passing through and dropping comments huh. sounds good. it's not about luck though it's about knowing each species and thier captive needs compared to their natural habits and providing those in a natural habtitat to better understand the relationship of each and perfect the balance with habtit design and husbandry to exemplify nature in all possible manners with in the model of captivity, thus a multi-specises natuarlistic vivarium.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
unless they NEVER EVER come into contact you are taking a big chance on one of both getting killed/injured, hence my earlier comment.

and the only way to ensure they NEVER EVER come into contact is to house them separatey.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah. I know many species of reptiles have been found in the same burrow as scorpions living just fine. why do you say one or both could get killed? i've seen hungry brevs but to say one would kill a scoprion is not realisitic.
secondly, no insults ment, but brevs dwel in leaf litter during the day from time to time, mostly though we've doc'd them more then 4" above ground on branches of about 1/4" dia. and at night will sleep more then 12" off the floor in bushes. the I.p. i don't think would first, consider these as a food source, two, come into their niche, three, feel strongly that if they are found in proximate locales that building their microclimates accurately, providing their landscape; hardscape and flora needs they will be just fine. don't worry about that. our darts live with boas, live with geckos. our uroplatus live with brookesia, millipedes and a madagascar ground boa. our ... anyway. this is what i do so believe me, i've done my due diligence. I just can't find anything that will tell me where they come from, the I.p.. I'm trying to contact our importer who can contact his exporter but that most often isn't good enough.

Does any one know what towns or areas the I.p. are found most often? that's the only question i have, thanks for the concerns though but i'd already measured those last week.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
do you KNOW that these are found together in the wild?

this experiment will only end up in them both being stressed. :(

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wumpscut,

I don't have the papers here before me but the holotype male was described from Mombasa, Kenya by Reginald Innes Pocock in 1896. They're typically distributed throughout Eastern Africa from Ethiopia southward to Mozambique.
One of the best arboreal scorp species in my opinion.

Luc

Mithrandir

Arachnopeon
I hoped that Rieppeleon brevicaudatus was another animal than Rhampholeon brevicaudatus... and that it was a kind of scorpion or something, but no... I'm getting interested in these animals and reading a lot about them now. A very good book is "Stump-tailed Chameleons, miniature dragons of the forest" by P. Necas.
They both live in rainforests in Tanzania (although R. brevicaudatus only in NE Tanzania according to Necas).
If you must do this kind of experiment I hope you've got a big vivarium...

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay so the I.p. are or aren't from tanz?
i've been breeding the r.brevs, R. temps and some others for a while, loved them for longer.
I don't think they would, the chams would stress. they indicate stress quite well and i'll be watching closely both animals.
Necas states NE? i thought it was stated SE, or maybe that was spawls i was reading. 245 i believe.
Is there any things else that states if I.p. are from some place else?
large is up to the designer or viewer. a 60"L x 30"d x 30"H might be large to some but to others is average and a 20'L x 4'D x 6'H is large. just know it's not a fish tank...the smallest we build is 30"L d 24"H x 24"D but this is too small IMO.

Mithrandir

Arachnopeon
I don't have experience with I.p, just searched the scorpion files and that said Tanzania ( and a few other nations).
And indeed Necas states NE for de brevi's.