Invert Drying

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Lately I’ve been getting into making “ambers” using UV resin and deceased inverts or molts.
I was told to do this correctly and avoid the resin potentially exploding I need to make sure the specimen is completely dry and was wondering what would be the best way to completely dry the specimen?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I would recommend desiccation in silica! That's how I plan to preserve my recently deceased tarantula.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
I would recommend desiccation in silica! That's how I plan to preserve my recently deceased tarantula.
Thank you! Would it work best in a fully sealed deli cup or would it be better if it had some ventilation along with it? Is it alright to reuse?

kadupul

Arachnosquire
I was looking into silica a while back and I read somewhere that you can microwave the silica to desiccate it again for later use.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I was looking into silica a while back and I read somewhere that you can microwave the silica to desiccate it again for later use.
Yes indeed! Oven or microwave depending on manufacturer recommendation.
Thank you! Would it work best in a fully sealed deli cup or would it be better if it had some ventilation along with it? Is it alright to reuse?
I would do something air tight, you want the silica to be dehydrating the specimen, not just pulling water from the air. Most silica beads/sands are reusable, usually you bake or microwave it. I'm actually going to be pinning my specimen and placing it in silica tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Thank you guys! Roughly how long would it take for something to get dry? I currently have a 1” Scorpio maurus and an adult Heterometrus. There’s nothing wrong with leaving it in the silica for longer if it’s already dry?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Thank you guys! Roughly how long would it take for something to get dry? I currently have a 1” Scorpio maurus and an adult Heterometrus. There’s nothing wrong with leaving it in the silica for longer if it’s already dry?
I'm planning to err on the side of caution and let it sit for 3-4 months. I've used silica to dessicate flowers before, and they typically took 2-3 weeks. I'm assuming that something larger and with an exoskeleton will take more time. If I were you I would dry the smaller specimen for 5-6 weeks, and the larger specimen for 2-3 months (note: I live in a very dry climate and your milage may vary). I don't think there's any risk to playing it safe and letting it sit for longer, especially since your planning on using resin after the fact.

While I don't recommend this channel for husbandry advice, Tarantula Kat has some videos on drying and preserving tarantulas that may be helpful.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Pinned her last night, I just used sewing pins that I already had. I didn't need nearly as much silica as I thought I would, if you have the option to buy a smaller quantity I would do so. Not much else to say until I take her out in a few months and see how she's doing!

Attachments