introducing emperor scorpions to be housed together?

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Hi I recently bought another emperor who is about an inch bigger than my other one. one is 3 inches and one is 4 inches. Can/should i risk introducing them together? I want them to be in the same enclosure to possibly breed when theyre older. does this sound fine?

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
They are a communal species so you shouldnt have any issues, just ensure your enclosure is large enough for both of them to venture around, I'd say 10+ gallon tank or an improvised enclosure the provides plenty of floor space. Provide plenty of hides and deep substrate. :)

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
They are a communal species so you shouldnt have any issues, just ensure your enclosure is large enough for both of them to venture around, I'd say 10+ gallon tank or an improvised enclosure the provides plenty of floor space. Provide plenty of hides and deep substrate. :)
ok i just put them together and going to watch them

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
they started to grip up and fight so i seperated them! any advice? i got scared i didnt want the bigger one to kill the smaller one. I think its the size difference its like 2 inches bigger thgan the smaller one

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
they started to grip up and fight so i seperated them! any advice? i got scared i didnt want the bigger one to kill the smaller one.
Sounds like they are not the same species. Post pics of both and im sure eventually someone will tell you what they are for sure. You need to have patience and give the new 1 time to settle in before they are put together even if they are the same species

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Sounds like they are not the same species. Post pics of both and im sure eventually someone will tell you what they are for sure. You need to have patience and give the new 1 time to settle in before they are put together even if they are the same species
ok ill try to introduce again in a week. im sure they are same species

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
ok ill try to introduce again in a week. im sure they are same species
To the untrained eye alot can appear to be same species but if you truly want expert opinion post pics of both specimens here and wait for a response from either @Collin Clary or @Galapoheros. They may not answer in 5 mins flat but they will eventually respond.... they have been summoned !

stephen sav

Arachnopeon

This is the second one. the first was from a breeder and i already know its an emp. this is the one in question

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel

This is the second one. the first was from a breeder and i already know its an emp. this is the one in question
I know but it isnt a good enough pic to make a positive ID from and just because a " breeder " sold you 1 that is claimed to be an emperor - it doesnt mean it IS an emperor lol. Many "breeders " will claim to sell you an emperor and not know their earhole from that other hole they possess :) now if you said the breeders name and we all knew this person to be a legitimate breeder who knows his stuff i might not question it then. Just my 2 cents

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Very true. Especially with the heterometrus and pandinus type genus having such subtle differences in species it is common for one to mistake their own scorpions. Not saying you dont know what youre doing... but definitely be sure first.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
And also id like to add that no matter if either is a pandinus or heterometrus it is way too dry in that tank for them.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The picture posted is almost certainly a Pandinus imperator. There are a couple other species it could be, but they're not currently in the pet trade. Post picture of the other specimen to make sure it's the same species.

One thing you may consider doing is rearranging the enclosure and change the substrate before introducing a new specimen. Sometimes they can get a bit territorial, so it's best to start from square one. Behavior where they push and shove each other with their chela is normal. As long as they're not grabbing and trying to cannibalize the other, I wouldn't worry too much.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah if one has been alone for a long time, they get selfish haha. Especially a gravid female often won't let a male under the same rock when she has been there a while alone. I've watched entire broods grow up together, they try to thin it out as they get bigger. I don't know how they go about it but certain ones tend to get kicked out.

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
The picture posted is almost certainly a Pandinus imperator. There are a couple other species it could be, but they're not currently in the pet trade. Post picture of the other specimen to make sure it's the same species.

One thing you may consider doing is rearranging the enclosure and change the substrate before introducing a new specimen. Sometimes they can get a bit territorial, so it's best to start from square one. Behavior where they push and shove each other with their chela is normal. As long as they're not grabbing and trying to cannibalize the other, I wouldn't worry too much.
Thgank you!!!!.
I believe theyre both male i looked at their comb like structure and they look both to be male, darn i was hoping for a female to breed. but thank you for your help and the other posters help
this is the other one i got earlier last year:

Last edited: