Introduce Yourself

scrip7ki77y

Arachnopeon
Hiya everyone!
I'm M, and I've just been introduced to the awesomeness of arachnids. I used to have a slight arachnophobia, but after learning about them, I've gotten more comfortable around them ^^ I'm not allowed to get a tarantula yet, but I caught a P. Regius recently, and he's doing great!

mogur

Arachnopeon
Hi all, my name is Ivan, I´m from Brazil. I am 30 years old.

I´m biologist and work on the Secretary of Health from Belo Horizonte - Minas Gerais. I keep a female Grammostola pulchra, a female Latrodectus geometricus and a couple of Corn Snakes (snow female and amel male).

I would like to learn a little more with you, and to collaborate on the forum anyway.

Best regards.:)

firfly

Arachnopeon
Hello, I am new to this forum, I am a 31yr old firefighter, and college instructor. I am really kind of new to the T hobby, but found it well for lack of a better word addicting. I look foward to meeting and learning from all of you.

davefoc

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I'm a 59 year old retired electrical engineer. I'm renovating an old apartment building. I hike, mountain bike and play a little racquetball.

I've been taking pictures and following the brown widows in my backyard for several months. One of the reasons that I came across this board was I was looking for answers about some of the things I have noticed.

I've also done a little editing of the spider pages in wikimedia and I have made a small addition to the wikipedia latrodectus article. (I wrote the section on Latrodectus silk strength).

I've taken pictures of a variety of spiders besides the brown widows including some western black widow male pictures that I posted to wikimedia here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_hesperus

I have seen some of the pictures that were posted in the Latrodectus thread here. Wow. They were amazing.

Alienmarky

Arachnopeon
Just got around to saying hi..
I'm Marky from Trowbridge, Wiltshire in the UK. Only been keeping T's for about 5 months, but got into them in quite a big way. Despite that, my main interest will always be phasmids, but T's come in a close second. Hope that doesn't get me too many enemies...

hope to learn alot from the board and hopefully contribute something as well! :)

ScottF

Arachnopeon
New here, not a Tarantula owner, but fascinated. I find some of the species quite beautiful, the P metallica in particular. Though, I can't seem to bring myself to buy a Tarantula as a pet. I do have a pet though, his name is Mr Jinx. Yeah, he's a cat. Anyways, I don't know where my fear of spiders comes from. Maybe its the getting bitten thing, I am allergic to wasps so perhaps that has something to do with it. Anyways, Mr Jinx is the only pet I can handle at the moment, he is a little gray whirlwind of mischief most days.

Perhaps I can start becoming more comfortable around Tarantulas, but I dont know if I could let one crawl on my arm, and they don't seem like the kind of pet you can cuddle up with. Mr Jinx is like a teddy bear, lol.

Anyways, I am not a troll here, just trying to overcome some fears in my life.

spiderpixie

Arachnopeon
^.^

Hi! I'm here because my boyfriend is a arachnophiliac, soooo... I came here for advice on a Christmas gift, now I'm back for ideas on a valentines gift! I really have no idea on what kinda of "romantic" gift can involve hairy spineless things lol but if you don't understand, and I unfortunately totally don't understand, then ask! So here I am I got him a specialty tank for Christmas, and before you dismiss this post view this post as a challenge, he has over hundred different species already.... so this might be difficult. If you want some insider info on him you might know him as codewilster ;)
Thanks a bunch to anyone who took the time to read this!!! :clap:

Last edited:

basuca

Arachnopeon
Hi guys I am new here! My name is Erick W. I am originally from Puerto Rico but I am studying Entomolgy and Biology in Iowa State. I work at the insect zoo in my university and I am the Tarantula guy there. We have a lot of different insects from white eye assassins to puerto rican giant centipede. Looking forward to meting every one were :D

ca.ff.ers-83

Arachnopeon

Hi all

My name is Gemma...I am 26 yrs old and live in Southampton, uk. I currently have two tarantulas, a chilli Rose called Charlie and a mexican flame knee called Chelios... I adore them....and will be increasing my collection!

I am however concerned about the whole molting process....I am yet to experience a molt with my two although I get the feeling my chilli may well be due for a molt soon. And my Flame knee is certainly due several sheds yet!

Any advice?

Cheers :)

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone,
My name is Cori. I'm 40yr old with 2 kids (18yr old girl and 14 yr old boy) and I am a tarantula addict lol. The first tarantula I got (Gramastola rosea) was about 5 years ago. I thought he was a she until he died in August of '08. He was about 1 yr when I got him so he lived a good 5 1/2 to 6 yrs. I was heart broken when he died and felt I had to have done something wrong because females live for 15-20 yrs ?. But when I went to take him out of his enclosure low and behold, the hooks on the pedipalps popped open. I just about fell out of my chair. In one way I felt slightly better because I realized I didn't actually kill him, it was just his time but boy did I cry. Well, since then I have been reading quite a bit and in the last 2 months I have collected 17 in all. By this time next month I'm sure I'll have another 10 or so. My favorite honestly are the Avicularias. Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning more on this site and getting to know all of you.

Varulven

Arachnopeon
Hallo!

I got bitten by the spider-bug a year ago, and my little zoo has expandend rapidly (particularely when the Tegenaria atrica my neigbour gave me suddenly became a mother of about 200 creepy crawlies...). Here the other day as I visited my spider-pusher, I got home with a Cupiennius getazi and a Thelcticopis modesta among the catch. The araneomorphs are a very different kind of spiders to the mygalomorphs I was used to, but they are just as cool!

Now I'm housing not just 10 species of spiders (I'm a neophyte), but also an assortment of crickets, mealworms and cockroaches. The neigbours have started to call me "the Bug Lady". My hubby complains that we have very few visitors these days... :p

Kraftykid

Arachnopeon
New to the Arachnid world

Just pick up a Chilean Rose Tarantula from the local pet store and came here for information. Hello to all, and I hope to learn a lot!

spiderman-dan

Arachnopeon
Hello

Hi,
My name is Dan , my wife Carol and I have four ts. We have a Rose Hair, a Costa Rican Tiger rump, A Green Bottle Blue and just yesterday we added an Guyana Pink-Toe. We have named our spiders after sweet teats : Marshmallow, and Skittles but we need a name for the Tiger-rump and the Pink-toe. We have kept tarantulas for the last 7 years. I am a teacher and Our Rose hair has been a classroom ambassador. Our Green Bottle Blue is nervous and shakes her leg a lot but thats it. Our Tiger Rump is shy. We love our spiders. I have always believed tarantulas are just hamsters who happen to be spiders.

Last edited:

BAMFinCali

Arachnopeon
hello fello Arachnoboarders

Hi,
my names Tony, im new to the Arachno world ,about 2 months ago i decided to get a few Ts. i did my reserch and BAM on the 1/25 i got my order from www.swiftinverts.com (very good packing by the way) i started with some Ts that most newbies should stay away from l:embarrassed: i got: P. Ragalis 1" x2, P Irminia 1" x3, and they tossed in a 1/2" G. Rosea. OMG im in LOVE these little guys are so cool. i dont know why iv never got a tarantula before this, iv had lizards,snakes,fish,ferrets and a mantis here and there iv been missing out this whole time.:wall:

On 1/30 started a Blaptica Dubia roach colonry i started with 7 pairs got them from www.buyroaches.com should take about 3 months before i can start feeding out of it. on 2/1 the Dudia started to breed i found a pair mating and noticed that there were about 25-30 nymphs running around. they came ready to start poping out little nymphs.

i was thinking i need more variety so got a few more Ts from www.kenthebugguy.com here they are: P. Murinus 2", H. Lividum 1" and 2 H. Incei 1" this little Murinus is the coolest T it was only bity when i pulled it out of the vile it was in. its very active and very hungry. BUT WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP MAKING VIDS ABOUT THEM STRIKING AT THERE CHOP STICK OR WHAT NOT BEING POKED AT THEM:embarrassed:

ok so crickets the only reason i dont have mantis right now is i hated the smell/sound of them all night so i have crickets again =) . here we go again, got some mantis iv bread before P. Paradoxa x3 L2, C Pictipennis x3 L3 and P Vireseen x 2 m/f L5 from www.mantisplace.com

see you all later

Last edited:

VrIgHtEr

Arachnopeon
hey! I'm Cedric, 18yo and i'm from Malta. I have just bought an A. Geniculata. This is my first tarantula. When I become accustomed to this maybe I'll get some different species as well

gpsling

Arachnopeon
hello all

My name is Greg Peters and I have many tarantulas and just recently started some importing. I am just starting to get into the online thing so I look forward to talking to more of you. My favorites are the larger ground spiders like Blondi and phamphobetus plus I like the pokies...
Regards,
GP

crayon420

Arachnopeon
hi
My name is Donovan and im from mass. I just got into the hobby and i cant get enough of it. I have a few diffrent tarantulas and i got 4 Scorpions i have 2 Citharischius crawshayi 1 Selenocosmia hainanam 1 Haplopelma lividum 1 G.rosea 1 Hysterocrates gigas 2 Babycurus jacksoni and 2 Pandinus imperator. I look forward to learning a little more about what i have and and any info that might help me in the long run.

I also had a question about getting rid of mites if anyone could help that would be awsome - thanks

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there,

Firstly, apologies to all the advocates of using real names on the internet. I have my reasons to remain anonymous, so I hope people can respect that. =)
That said, I'm a 20 year old male from England. Best you're getting for now ;)

Anyway, I got my first spider about 4 months ago, what I've now realised is P.Chordata (yeah, jumping in the deep end) as my girlfriend works in a pet-store. I'd always been interested in spiders, but never been able to own one. As I'm at uni now, I have my own place and have gotten a further 6 spiders;
  • P.Murinus
  • B.Auratum
  • B.Smithi
  • H.Albostriatum
  • G.Rosea
  • "Hermit Web Orb Weaver"

I have handled all, except the P.Chordata and H.Albostriatum.

I'm an avid spider-fan, and like to assimilate as much knowledge on these beautiful and fantastic creatures as I can. To that end, if anyone has any knowledge of P.Chordata, I'd be interested to hear it in a PM or in the topic I started in the Questions Area, cheers ;)

As a final note, does anybody else get really annoyed and a little upset when people assume tarantulas are evil killers? I was picking up some hoppers from my local store yesterday when some guy butted in and asked why I was buying them. He proceeded to question why I would keep a pet that could kill me, saying he'd never have something that would try to eat him. He also made mention that apparently urticating hairs are lethal if inhaled, and made it sound like the spider kicks them in a cloud about 6-foot radius.

I spent the next thirty minutes re-educating him... >_>

EDIT: I am aware that nobody has ever been documented as dying from a tarantula bite, and I am also aware that urticating hairs are non-lethal, but can irritate. The poor guy was just horribly mis-informed.

Last edited:

tom cabuy

Arachnopeon
I'm new here

Hello,

I'm new here. I'm Tom and I am keeping tarantula's for 3 years now.
I'm from Belgium.
My English is not very good. I can understand almost everyting. But I'm not very good in writing without faults.

At home I have:

2.1.0 Therphosa blondi (I'm trying to breed this species)
0.2.0 Avicularia versicolor (In spring I buy a male to breed this species too)
0.1.50 Tapinauchenius gigas (As you can see, succesfull breed, still spiderlings for sale!)
0.2.0 Lampropelma violaceopes (before Cyriopagopus spec. blue) (In spring I buy also a male to breed this species)
0.1.0 Poecilotheria rufilata (In spring I will try also to breed this species)
0.0.5 Poecilotheria regalis ( 4 cm bodyspan, communal)
0.0.5 Poecilotheria fasciata (3,5 cm body span, cummunal)
0.1.0 Brachypelma smithi
0.0.3 Heteroscodra maculata (3,5 cm body span)
0.1.0 Chilobrachys huahini (6 cm body span, for sale!)
0.0.13 Holothele incei (2 cm body span, for sale!)
0.0.5 Stromatopelma calceatum (2 cm body span)
0.1.0 Paraphysa scofa (2 weeks ago she makes an aggsack but she doesn't close her sack good, so I need it to take out and close hem myself but the eggs were already dry out )

+- 1500 B. dubia

smokey progg

Arachnopeon
hi all im just here to say hey i dont have any arachnid yet but might be getting emperor scorpion soon
Dean:drool: