Interesting mantis

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just thought i would share something.

At work i go outside looking for bugs, snakes, frogs, etc. all the time. It blows time and i enjoy it. The other day i found 150 baby toads, a L. variolis and a mantis species i have never seen before.

In the grass was a little mantis about 1" long. It was neon green and had red legs. I have never seen one like this before. It was really cool though. At first i put it on my arm and it immediately wanted off. I kept doing this and letting it crawl on me and then it was hell getting the thing off me. I dont know if it became accustomed to me or what but it made the decision it liked where it was at... my arm. So then i walked inside and got a styrofoam cup to put it in, turns out they do NOT like styrofoam cups, it freaked out. Anyways i got it in the cup and then i let it go later in the woods where it wouldnt be ran over or walked on.

I feel there is probably much more of these around my plant. I will keep looking and trying to find them. I would like to see what the adults look like. This things legs were blood red, it was really pretty.

There is so many species of insects and animals around the shop i work at. The problem is that it was once a garbage dump and then now its a factory area where there is a lot of pollution. They constantly dump phospheric acid outside over the ground, usually around 300-500 gallons of it (which im sure the corn fields, cow pastures, and the fact that people around that area have well water appreciate). I think if i see another one i will keep it and take pictures.

Cheers

MooSmoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never been sure about collecting stuff from the wild, mainly because I live in England and there are no mantids / scorpions (well one type) but I know that if I was to go to somewhere with a variety of stuff I like and don't see here, I'd want it lol, but at the same time I wouldn't want to take it out of its home.

As for handling mantids, I've found they always want to go up. I have a pale green mantid who reached his adult stage a few days ago, I got him out to take a few photos and hes a pretty speedy little guy, and soon ended up on my head. Didn't seem too keen on using his wings though.

Sounds like a cool little mantid you found though, would like to see some photos if you ever find another!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, i have seen the regular green ones all the time, and occasionally you see the brown ones. Never seen one with such bright colors or red legs even. Maybe its a juvenile thing or something im not sure. If i catch another ill be sure to post some pics of it.

MooSmoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When we recieved our little australians we had mostly green ones, and one brown / dark red, looked really nice, but over time and molts turned green along with the rest lol