Interesting hide material question

Malevolus

Arachnopeon
Not specifically for scorpions, but, I had an interesting idea that I'm experimenting with, and before I put it in his tank, I wanted some input.

I've had my Emp(now i'm hooked and want another, and more species. lol These lil buggers are worse than tattoos) for about 4 months now and things have gone pretty good. Only had two problems with him, not eating for a few days, and he keeps destroying his hides.

That got me thinking about a sturdier, sounder structure for him that could be set in the substrate. I thought about using wood, acrylic, and several other materials, but then I had a possible stroke of genius. That green florists foam. it's be easy to sculpt into a burrow shape, it's absorb moisture helping retain the right humidity level, and green wouldn't detrade too much from the rest of the cage.

My big question is has anyone ever tried this before and have they ever tried it with just straight foam? I'm worried my emp will start tearing into the foam and collapse it and or start eating the foam. In the morning I'm going to experiment coating the foam with sculpey and or resin.

This way too I can add a few of the bones I found today out in the woods to his habitat lol :D

Thangs Guys

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi, this foam is used, not sure if anyone uses it for scorps, but its definatly used for Terantulars. What sort of sub do you use? and why dont you encorage your scorp to dig his own burrow? I have hides, but my Emps have dug their own hid, and always do, regardless of the hides i use

Malevolus

Arachnopeon
I've encouraged him to burrow, and he will with no problems, like I said, he tends to destroy his burrows (twice he's had them collapse in on him and i've watched him dig his way out)

Plus the hide I was going to set up was gonna have a little red LED so I could tell if he was in his hide or not.

The foam was just a thought. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something poisonous that if I put it in I'd wake up to a dead scorpion

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you want to use foam thats completely safe heres a link http://www.reptiledepot.com/foam.html this should give you an idea of some premade set-ups...
the green molding foam for floral arrangements do contain some chemicals not sure which but im sure if you do a search you can find out what exactly they are made of.....i wouldn't suggest using it until i was sure , since they will be moist most of the time!!!

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey have you ever thought of cutting a coconut open and hollowing it out for your emp? he might like it a little better but I have used green foam a little it works good just the coconut is a little more pricey but nicer. How damp is your substrate and what is your substrate anyways?

GanjaTaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a medium sized bit of slate and 2 moderate sized stones and constructed a "mine" entrance into the gradient of the substrate. My Emps used this as a starting point for a massive earthworking excavation and now have a pretty hefty sized tunnel system witht he safety and shelter still of the slate cave entrance.

2 of my Emps pretty much live under the slate mine entrance section while 3 of the others live in the tunneled out section they created. One lives at the back exit they made and the other 2 just seem to stay put inside the tunnel complex.

Count Chocula

Arachnopeon
I got a medium sized bit of slate and 2 moderate sized stones and constructed a "mine" entrance into the gradient of the substrate. My Emps used this as a starting point for a massive earthworking excavation and now have a pretty hefty sized tunnel system witht he safety and shelter still of the slate cave entrance.

2 of my Emps pretty much live under the slate mine entrance section while 3 of the others live in the tunneled out section they created. One lives at the back exit they made and the other 2 just seem to stay put inside the tunnel complex.
Sounds awesome, have any pics?

GanjaTaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Overhead shot of main colony mining project system.

Front view of Mine shaft entrance with Emperor Scorpion on guard duty.

I had to take these by red light as my scorps were hanging out at the cave entrances so didn't want to freak them out with the big overhead white light. I will grab a few shots tommorrow when they are stashed away inside so you can see properly the way they set it up.

The front entrance is where I keep the cricket food so the crix have to venture close to at least one of the entrances if they want to feed. & if they want to get to the corkbark they have to walk past the other entrance. So the Scorps have got it pretty sussed out for how they want it so they have to do the least amount of work to feed if they can't be bothered to hunt. I did have an Exo Terra cave in the Enclosure but the Scorps didn't bother with it and all the crickets kept hiding in it so I removed it the other day.

All I did was set up the stones that are the supports into the substrate so it can't sink or get dug under, then added the top slate section and back filed it making sure the peat I used was heavily compressed to give the best chance against tunnel collapses. I then just kept piling the peat up so they have a good 6 inches+ of peat to create their own cave system, with a few inches of Vermiculite under the peat so I know when they have hit the bottom of the substrate layers. So far they have dug out a fair sized cave, but have not yet hit the glass so I can't see in that far really, but I probed it the other day with my forceps and I was suprised how big it actually was I initially thought they had just dug around the back of the support rock but they have bored the whole area out pretty heavily. Industrious little buggers they are.

In my nursery tank I have a similer set up but on a smaller scale, however mum dug all the way up to the glass and you can see into her little hidey hole which has been great for watching what was going on, it makes feeding times with the Scorplings must see viewing.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the morning I'm going to experiment coating the foam with sculpey and or resin.
Sculpy is toxic for people to eat off of, so I wouldn't feel comfortable using It with scorpions.