Insects that can be kept with millipedes?

raeanna

Arachnopeon
No - there are flightless or wingless varieties you can get. I have heard people say they occasionally find one with wings, but I have never seen one fly! It's a staple for dart frogs.
Ohh perfect, okay! That will definitely work then. Now I just have to find the Mantis somewhere and I am still trying to find the appropriate mulch haha. Thank you!

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
A fairly active surface dwelling millipede is Brachycybe lecontii (Feather Millipedes). They are very unique looking as well. They look like little pink feathers, nothing at all like most millipedes (google image them). They max out at maybe 1 to 1-1/2 inches so you could keep a good number of them in a 10 gallon tank. They eat rotting wood and leaves almost exclusively though, so you have to have access to those if you want to keep them.

Personally, I think that a really neat communal setup with millipedes would be Millipedes, Springtails (any species really), Earwigs, and Harvestmen. They all like the same basic conditions; room temp with moist substrate, leaf litter/bark and rotting wood, moss, etc. The Springtails would keep the enclosure clean and provide the Harvestmen and Earwigs with a source of protein. The Earwigs would feed on deceased Millipedes and Harvestmen. All you would have to do to ensure that everything ran smoothly is add rotting wood as needed, and add in some pre-killed crickets or mealworms to keep the earwigs from eating baby Millipedes or Harvestmen. I'm not sure that all that could comfortably co-exist in a 10 gallon though. I suppose with deep substrate and plenty of hiding spots it could work.

Don't stress too much about it though. If you find that everyone's opinions and suggestions are making it too difficult to make a decision, go with what makes you happy. Just make sure that all the needs and temperaments are matched up before you commit to anything.

raeanna

Arachnopeon
A fairly active surface dwelling millipede is Brachycybe lecontii (Feather Millipedes). They are very unique looking as well. They look like little pink feathers, nothing at all like most millipedes (google image them). They max out at maybe 1 to 1-1/2 inches so you could keep a good number of them in a 10 gallon tank. They eat rotting wood and leaves almost exclusively though, so you have to have access to those if you want to keep them.

Personally, I think that a really neat communal setup with millipedes would be Millipedes, Springtails (any species really), Earwigs, and Harvestmen. They all like the same basic conditions; room temp with moist substrate, leaf litter/bark and rotting wood, moss, etc. The Springtails would keep the enclosure clean and provide the Harvestmen and Earwigs with a source of protein. The Earwigs would feed on deceased Millipedes and Harvestmen. All you would have to do to ensure that everything ran smoothly is add rotting wood as needed, and add in some pre-killed crickets or mealworms to keep the earwigs from eating baby Millipedes or Harvestmen. I'm not sure that all that could comfortably co-exist in a 10 gallon though. I suppose with deep substrate and plenty of hiding spots it could work.

Don't stress too much about it though. If you find that everyone's opinions and suggestions are making it too difficult to make a decision, go with what makes you happy. Just make sure that all the needs and temperaments are matched up before you commit to anything.
I had seen those! I love them! Wasn't sure if they were beginner though. Can they co-exist with ivories?

Ahh I never liked earwigs. They're freaky LOL. I will definitely do springtails though. I'm thinking those, millies, melanogaster fruit flies, and ghost mantis. :astonished:

Yeah definitely! This part is okay. I am just having a problem finding substrate stuff. Everyone I have talked to says something different :(

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I had seen those! I love them! Wasn't sure if they were beginner though. Can they co-exist with ivories?

Ahh I never liked earwigs. They're freaky LOL. I will definitely do springtails though. I'm thinking those, millies, melanogaster fruit flies, and ghost mantis. :astonished:

Yeah definitely! This part is okay. I am just having a problem finding substrate stuff. Everyone I have talked to says something different :(
Yup. Don't I know it. The bottom line is that everyone has a different experience with substrates and therefore has a different opinion. Personally, I swear by cocofiber, eco-earth, fine ground coconut husk; whatever you want to call it. Basically it's just finely ground up coconut husk that retains moisture well. Things can be added to it to match the specific needs of pretty much any species. In particular dead leaves, sphagnum moss, rotting wood, sand, and a plethora of other things can be added to it to ensure that whatever will be living on or in it is well taken care of.

As far as them co-existing with Ivories, I'm honestly not sure, but they're native ranges overlap so I think it would be safe to assume that they could live together in harmony.

raeanna

Arachnopeon
Yup. Don't I know it. The bottom line is that everyone has a different experience with substrates and therefore has a different opinion. Personally, I swear by cocofiber, eco-earth, fine ground coconut husk; whatever you want to call it. Basically it's just finely ground up coconut husk that retains moisture well. Things can be added to it to match the specific needs of pretty much any species. In particular dead leaves, sphagnum moss, rotting wood, sand, and a plethora of other things can be added to it to ensure that whatever will be living on or in it is well taken care of.

As far as them co-existing with Ivories, I'm honestly not sure, but they're native ranges overlap so I think it would be safe to assume that they could live together in harmony.
That is what I originally thought. Someone said that coir lacks any nutrition. But I kinda thought it was just used as a binder? I am just getting so frustrated that I can't find any wood-type substrate. I have coir, moss, and aspen shreds bookmarked but that's not enough.
Someone else said they just use regular soil because it contains more nutrients than the coir.

Oooh. I think I will start with one species to make it easier on myself lol.

raeanna

Arachnopeon
maybe you could look into some of the more designer "cute) roaches like domino roaches (Therea petiveriana).
Aw those are kinda cute! The cuban cockroach is pretty too... I guess it's just the brown ones I don't like... lol.

raeanna

Arachnopeon
Yeah I think it would be cool to get a small colony going and maybe distribute them to people. Could help alleviate some of the fear of roaches :)
I think I may like those actually.

Yeah, they kinda freak me out cause they fly. That's one reason I don't like mantis either... They're just so pretty though...
Roaches don't bite do they?

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I think I may like those actually.

Yeah, they kinda freak me out cause they fly. That's one reason I don't like mantis either... They're just so pretty though...
Roaches don't bite do they?
not all roaches fly (though the one pictured does fly). In the end there is a decent variety of things you can house with millipedes so keep us updated on what you end up finally choosing :)

raeanna

Arachnopeon
not all roaches fly (though the one pictured does fly). In the end there is a decent variety of things you can house with millipedes so keep us updated on what you end up finally choosing :)
Oooo I'll look into flightless ones then! Thanks.

Yeah it may be a bit but I'll definitely end up posting something when I do! Thanks for the help!

raeanna

Arachnopeon
In addition to my Orthoporus and a couple Narceus and Florida Ivories, I keep Halloween Hissing Cockroaches (males only, I don't want swarms of babies) and Gymnetis caseyi (Harlequin Beetles).

The way I included the beetles has probably been a mistake. They are beautiful and active, and the adults don't bother anyone – but they have reproduced more than i expected. This has put more larvae crawling through the substrate (among the millipedes) than I'm comfortable with. I currently have the beetles separated and am slowly picking out grubs when I lure them near the surface. I plan to replace the Harlequin beetle population with males only. I'm also raising a couple dozen stag beetle larvae, and I'm sure I won't need to use all of the males I end up with for reproduction. So I plan to add the smaller males to the tank at the end of the summer and see how that works out.
I don't mean to bring this back up, but you seem beetle knowledgeable... I searched for "flightless beetles" and saw scarabs pop up. They are so beautiful!
Also, I never looked up the gymnetis caseyi you mentioned above. That is a pretty cool beetle and I just realized it's a scarab!

1) Would any other scarabs work with millipedes?
2) Must they feed solely on dung?
3) Do the gymnetis caseyi fly? o_o

I am basically still looking for a type of bright or unique colored flightless beetle that won't harm the millipedes or possible larva (is that the correct term?).

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I know you asked @davehuth , but I happen to know a bit about them as well.

1.) I'm sure there are a variety of scarabs that would work with millipedes given proper and copious substrate. Even some of the larger ones, but those will be much harder to get a hold of since only native species are readily available. But common June Beetles, May Beetles, and most Flower Beetles are all in the Scarab family and would probably make ideal tank mates. The only issue that you would have is the mass reproduction issue that he mentioned above. Just make sure that whatever species you are looking at can thrive in a habitat with millipedes in mind.

2.) A great majority of Scarabs feed on decomposing matter, be it dung or rotting wood and leaves similar to millipedes. The particular species you mentioned is a Flower Beetle, and will be happy to feed on decomposing plant matter as well as dung, rotten fruit, and any other form of decomposing vegitation. So you could probably just go with a good rotten wood substrate with plenty of leaves and the occasional bad apple for larva. The adults will prefer to eat only fresh, soft fruit like bananas and peaches (at least that's my understanding).

3.) Strictly speaking, yes. Almost all Beetles can fly, but many varieties of beetles, including most of the readily available scarabs are reluctant to fly. Another consideration regarding flight, is that many insect are only able to fly at certain temperatures. See if you can find any specific information about each individual species.

raeanna

Arachnopeon
I know you asked @davehuth , but I happen to know a bit about them as well.

1.) I'm sure there are a variety of scarabs that would work with millipedes given proper and copious substrate. Even some of the larger ones, but those will be much harder to get a hold of since only native species are readily available. But common June Beetles, May Beetles, and most Flower Beetles are all in the Scarab family and would probably make ideal tank mates. The only issue that you would have is the mass reproduction issue that he mentioned above. Just make sure that whatever species you are looking at can thrive in a habitat with millipedes in mind.

2.) A great majority of Scarabs feed on decomposing matter, be it dung or rotting wood and leaves similar to millipedes. The particular species you mentioned is a Flower Beetle, and will be happy to feed on decomposing plant matter as well as dung, rotten fruit, and any other form of decomposing vegitation. So you could probably just go with a good rotten wood substrate with plenty of leaves and the occasional bad apple for larva. The adults will prefer to eat only fresh, soft fruit like bananas and peaches (at least that's my understanding).

3.) Strictly speaking, yes. Almost all Beetles can fly, but many varieties of beetles, including most of the readily available scarabs are reluctant to fly. Another consideration regarding flight, is that many insect are only able to fly at certain temperatures. See if you can find any specific information about each individual species.
1) Thank you!
2) That is do-able. :)
3) Ohh. Okay. Do you know of any reliable/good shops online? I would rather find some I like that are available rather than look up what I like just to find out they aren't available lol! I saw The Butterfly Company and Bugs in Cyberspace, but that's it. TBC seems pretty good. My only thoughts are what is legal or not. But I mean... They wouldn't offer them or ship to me if it was illegal...?

EDIT just realized TBC are not live bugs LOL. That's a bummer.

Last edited:

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Despite getting too many larvae in my substrate – (and I should emphasize I didn't witness the larvae causing problems, I was simply startled that there were so many produced so quickly, and it made me nervous) – I'm a huge fan of G. caseyi. They are fun to watch and cause no problems as adults. As @Beedrill said, feed them slices of banana and they're happy. The millipedes will also munch on the banana from time to time. I've never had a G. caseyi beetle fly. Sometimes at night i hear them buzzing their wings in the enclosure, so I know they're capable of flight. But they're really very chill and just lumber around on their feet, climbing up and down the perches and burrowing in and out of the substrate.

You mentioned that you're not a fan of roaches, but the Halloween Hissers I keep with the millipedes and beetles basically look much like giant colorful beetles, and of course they don't fly either. You may want to look into an easy, fun flightless roach like the numerous species of Hissers.

I got my G. caseyi beetles (as well as other inverts) from Peter Clausen at Bugs in Cyberspace. He's a member here on Arachnoboards and he has many years of knowledgable service in the trade. He specializes in native North American species, which is one reason I love his stock. The animals from him have always be healthy and exactly as described.

You should know the adult G. caseyi beetles will live only about 5 months or so. This is their natural lifespan. This is actually a reason I'm glad I have so many larvae, I can begin replacing the ones that die as the larvae grow up.

Here are a few pictures from my communal enclosure, a 20 gallon aquarium tank...

raeanna

Arachnopeon
Despite getting too many larvae in my substrate – (and I should emphasize I didn't witness the larvae causing problems, I was simply startled that there were so many produced so quickly, and it made me nervous) – I'm a huge fan of G. caseyi. They are fun to watch and cause no problems as adults. As @Beedrill said, feed them slices of banana and they're happy. The millipedes will also munch on the banana from time to time. I've never had a G. caseyi beetle fly. Sometimes at night i hear them buzzing their wings in the enclosure, so I know they're capable of flight. But they're really very chill and just lumber around on their feet, climbing up and down the perches and burrowing in and out of the substrate.

You mentioned that you're not a fan of roaches, but the Halloween Hissers I keep with the millipedes and beetles basically look much like giant colorful beetles, and of course they don't fly either. You may want to look into an easy, fun flightless roach like the numerous species of Hissers.

I got my G. caseyi beetles (as well as other inverts) from Peter Clausen at Bugs in Cyberspace. He's a member here on Arachnoboards and he has many years of knowledgable service in the trade. He specializes in native North American species, which is one reason I love his stock. The animals from him have always be healthy and exactly as described.

You should know the adult G. caseyi beetles will live only about 5 months or so. This is their natural lifespan. This is actually a reason I'm glad I have so many larvae, I can begin replacing the ones that die as the larvae grow up.

Here are a few pictures from my communal enclosure, a 20 gallon aquarium tank...

I think I like them! But, say they do reproduce like crazy.... Will I need to move them out of the enclosure to keep the numbers down?

Hm there's just something about the shape of that type of cockroach that is uncomfortable to me. They are quite pretty though, thank you for the suggestion. Maybe once I get more experience and opened up to it. :)

Your photos are beautiful! I think I had seen some earlier today on natgeo website. While I was looking for the harlequin beetle actually.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
So how to handle beetle larvae in a big enclosure like this seems to be an open question. I got nervous, chickened out, and removed the adults to breed separately, and I pick out the larvae when I can. But with the deep substrate I have, this may not be necessary. My main concern is that when the grubs get large they may burrow over a millipede during a molt and harm it. But like I said I haven't seen this happen. Maybe you'll want to let it go and just see what happens! Or, alternatively, just put in all male or all female beetles (that's my plan; all my cockroaches are male).

Thank you for the compliment on my photos. I don't think natgeo has ever published any of my photos (I think I'd remember that!). But I like the idea! :)

Good luck on your adventures and don't forget to show us what you put together.

raeanna

Arachnopeon
So how to handle beetle larvae in a big enclosure like this seems to be an open question. I got nervous, chickened out, and removed the adults to breed separately, and I pick out the larvae when I can. But with the deep substrate I have, this may not be necessary. My main concern is that when the grubs get large they may burrow over a millipede during a molt and harm it. But like I said I haven't seen this happen. Maybe you'll want to let it go and just see what happens! Or, alternatively, just put in all male or all female beetles (that's my plan; all my cockroaches are male).

Thank you for the compliment on my photos. I don't think natgeo has ever published any of my photos (I think I'd remember that!). But I like the idea! :)

Good luck on your adventures and don't forget to show us what you put together.
Ohh gotcha. Can it usually be requested to get all of one sex? From BIC or I just found them on Roach Crossing. Also did a search here and nothing came up.
EDIT they ship as larvae... Will it be difficult to care for them in this stage or do I just plop them in and they'll do their thing?

You're welcome! And I think it was just a profile type deal... If you have that. Maybe it was someone else. But I could've sworn I saw that link at the bottom...

Yes I will!

Last edited: