Injured T. Blondi

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't seen my male T blondi come out for a couple of weeks. Then, yesterday I noticed him at his water bowl. I also noticed his left back leg seemed to have significant injury so that it was bent in an unnatural way. It wasn't bleeding too bad while he remained calm, just seeping slowly.However, while trying to remove the leg, he began to bleed quite a bit during his struggling. I managed to pop the leg off at the base within a few seconds but it looked as if he lost about a teaspoon of blood. :( He was no longer bleeding once the bad leg was removed but I'm concerned about the blood loss during the struggle. He is 9"+ so is a teaspoon of blood going to cause him too much distress? Will he be able to recover? :confused:
He seems to being doing ok this afternoon but seems to be somewhat weak.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So sorry about your guy Diane. For what it's worth, I had a male suffer similar trauma to his back leg and had to remove it as you did. There wasn't quite as much loss of fluid, but after a couple of days, I noticed him at the water dish more frequently. Also took him a little over a week to regain his appetite, and I gave him mealmorms and earthworms then, because I didn't wnat to risk putting a mouse in with him. Hope he recovers...

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Wayne :eek: I was hoping to get some input on this but maybe no one has had this problem but us. :rolleyes: I've never had to remove a leg before. I tried to do it as quickly as possible to reduce the stress. I can't say he doesn't hate me now but I wouldn't know if he did anyways. :D

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
T blondi

A while back I had posted about my T. blondi having leg problems.

One day I noticed that his last rear left leg was bent in an unusual way and left it be for several days. Fluid was also coming out of most of the junction points on each limb and not just the injured area. It wasn't pouring out but you could see where it leaked frequently. I was thinking that he maybe had taken a fall due to liking to climb all the dam time.

Well, after a couple day had passed he was dragging it along with him not moving it. I felt bad and had thought about removing it so that if it wouldn't fall off inside the burrow and bleed the T out. I held the leg from the rear and when he felt me touch him he started pulling to run away. POP it went. It leaked very little during the next couple days.

After that he had gotten really dark brown and black under the legs. I was figuring that he would die anyday. He wasn't eating and moving at all. Well after being concerned for about 3 months now...I got home two days ago to find him molting. Now he has a brand new black/ blueish coat, brand new sharp fangs and guess what else.....his lost legs is back in full! You can see pics at the T announcement forum.

He is fine now.

Today he is still at his water dish which is always full!

Don't worry.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Diane S said:
Thanks Wayne :eek: I was hoping to get some input on this but maybe no one has had this problem but us. :rolleyes: I've never had to remove a leg before. I tried to do it as quickly as possible to reduce the stress. I can't say he doesn't hate me now but I wouldn't know if he did anyways. :D
Well you did it right...quickly as possible. I kept saying "I'm sorry" as I did it, myself. Had I known about it at the time, I would have used some of that NuSkin stuff...liquid bandage. I wondered that about the male I had hating me for it...he hated me anyways. ;)

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well you did it right...quickly as possible. I kept saying "I'm sorry" as I did it,
LOL! I was doing that too! He must not hate me too bad because he let me clean the area with a Q-tip (held at the end with very LONG tweezers :D ) and almost seemed as if he knew I was just trying to help. But then again, he was probly trying to get me off guard so he could tag me a good one! {D

I was thinking that he maybe had taken a fall due to liking to climb all the dam time.
I assume that's how he broke his leg. I think he was trying to climb the sides and fell onto his water dish so I moved it to the center of the tank.