inhumane?

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My dad is (or at least was, as of a few months ago) an avid fish keeper. He's kept all sorts for a long time. But unfortunately, one of his tetra's (which are his favorites too) seemed to be on the way out so he just ended its suffering. I never actually saw the fish my self but from what he told me, it sounded pretty bad. When he told me that he was thinking about putting it down, I consulted one of my fishkeepers books, and it actually had a whole section on different methods of euthanasia for fish. I let my dad know and he 'took care of it'. Some of the methods were:
1. throwing the fish down against the pavement as hard as you can
2. putting it in a plastic baggy and leaving it in the freezer
3. crushing it with a hammer
Ok, all of them seem pretty quick and easy right? Well it was the next one that sorta freaked me out. It included putting the fish into a cup of water and dropping an Alkazelzer into the water so the fish would basically die due to lack of oxygen :eek: This seems a bit harsh, even for a fish. I can't recall what exactly causes the fish to die, but I'd like to know. Anyone else think that this is a bit inhumane?

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure such a tiny thing experiences pain the same way a human does. I'd just flush the bugger! Seems alright to kill a fish like that.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thoth said:
Solutions of bicarbonate (i.e. Alka Seltzer) have an anesthetic effect and cause the fish to lose conciousness and the CO2 generated by the Alka Seltzer suffocate it.

Some info on euthanizing fish.
http://depts.washington.edu/iacuc/policies/fish_euthanasia.html
That's interesting. I watched a NOVA program. I think it was NOVA anyway. They have vets that are specializing in operating on fish now. They anesthetize the fish and stick a tube down it's mouth that supplies it's gills with water so it can "breath". After watching that show, I think fish are going to get even more popular. So anyway, what about freezing the fish? On the other extreme of how to kill a fish, on Max X, they filmed a fish being prepared to eat by customers in a restaurant. They gutted it and fried the back half of the fish. They did this as fast as they could. The goal was to serve the fish while it was still alive. Different cultures. Anyway, the hammer thing sounds pretty fast. Seems like it would be hard to do for some people.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I personally like the freezing idea best. I know they are just fish, but the other methods seem inhumane. But if the Alkaseltzer(sp?) works like it should, then I would jump on tthat band wagon. Then again, I cry when my fish die.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thoth said:
Solutions of bicarbonate (i.e. Alka Seltzer) have an anesthetic effect and cause the fish to lose conciousness and the CO2 generated by the Alka Seltzer suffocate it.

Some info on euthanizing fish.
http://depts.washington.edu/iacuc/policies/fish_euthanasia.html
This is basically the same thing as killing rodents with CO2 which you said wasn't exactly the most friendly way to put down a hamster. I know that fish don't feel pain or suffer the same way that mammals do but...um...what's the real difference? :confused:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I like to fish (have done so since I was 5) so I bet I'm a bit damaged in that regard. But I'd cut its head off with a sharp knife. It's a milisecond job and ends everything once the spine is severed. Ok, it's bloody but *I'm* used to it.