Incubator Tutorial

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:worship: Yeah, yeah, yeah, more accolades!! I have several individuals that find eggsacs nummier than Ben 'N' Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. I've always thought that incubators were way too complicated... but you make it simple enough even a blonde can do it!!! These girls are getting no more protein from their own eggsacs!

Oh, and your wife should have squirted you back!!;)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just an update: The Versicolors are emerging from their eggs as I type this! Also, the Ornata's are molting into 1st instars, also as I type...busy day!! I'm getting pics and video of everything. I'll be starting a seperate thread shortly!! Very exciting!! :D

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cant wait to see them Rob.....Love this video. I will be using this method for my upcoming Lasiodora parahybana sac.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
One question. Well, two actually. When do you pull the sacs, and do you rotate them every day?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is my alternative method that works very well and I have used for many years now. When it comes to rotating, the circular deli containers help me with that a simple spin of the wrist and they all evenly turn. BUT I have started to notice that they don't need to be rotated much. I do it once a day now and think they might not even need it at all once the fluid is absorbed. But regardless because I don't know for sure i still give them a spin daily. The deli containers don't have lids on them ether.
If you take the sac and they are eggs with legs you can place them directly onto moist paper towels at the bottom of the deli and then into the setup. If they are eggs I just leave them in the coffee filter until they get to 1st instar which is when I like to separate but don't always get to it. The sides are nice and smooth and the slings won't go anywhere despite there being no lid on the deli's.

I guess I just find my method simpler but there is always more then one way to get something done. I have had 3 different species at 3 different stages of growth all in the same setup at the same time and they did just fine. Plus it cost me like $4 bucks and is reusable. Even now I have gbb, irminia, and avic avic together in the same setup growing.

We should see if we can get this thread put up as a sticky it has some good stuff in it !

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is my alternative method that works very well and I have used for many years now. When it comes to rotating, the circular deli containers help me with that a simple spin of the wrist and they all evenly turn. BUT I have started to notice that they don't need to be rotated much. I do it once a day now and think they might not even need it at all once the fluid is absorbed. But regardless because I don't know for sure i still give them a spin daily. The deli containers don't have lids on them ether.
If you take the sac and they are eggs with legs you can place them directly onto moist paper towels at the bottom of the deli and then into the setup. If they are eggs I just leave them in the coffee filter until they get to 1st instar which is when I like to separate but don't always get to it. The sides are nice and smooth and the slings won't go anywhere despite there being no lid on the deli's.

I guess I just find my method simpler but there is always more then one way to get something done. I have had 3 different species at 3 different stages of growth all in the same setup at the same time and they did just fine. Plus it cost me like $4 bucks and is reusable. Even now I have gbb, irminia, and avic avic together in the same setup growing.

We should see if we can get this thread put up as a sticky it has some good stuff in it !
Very nice - looks awesome, Ryan, plus it's a great way to do multiple species at once. :clap:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome pics! I love watching them grow.:clap:
Thank you!! I think it's the neatest thing in the world to watch!!

I saw that time-lapse video on Youtube of the eggs w/legs hatching out and I have to say that is probably the most amazing thing I've seen!! I'm going to try and get one today...we'll see how that goes. My camera isn't nearly as good as yours!! LOL

Off topic: is there a secret to getting the youtube videos so clear? Yours are much clearer than mine...I'm thinking it's the better camera. Mine are clear on my PC but grainy when I upload them. Frustrating!!!!

Franklin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rob, your ornata that is molting just looks absurd! and the one above and to the right i call dibs on, it looks like it has a really funny looking face on the abdomen!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rob, your ornata that is molting just looks absurd! and the one above and to the right i call dibs on, it looks like it has a really funny looking face on the abdomen!
LOL - I hadn't noticed the face before...that's awesome!! I'll try to keep an eye on which one that is for you!!

arachnube

Arachnopeon
I either seperate them once they hatch into 1st or 2nd instars or I will place them all together in a deli lined with a coffee filter.

The KK has P. Ornata eggs...
Schooling the Newbie! I looked up P Ornata on the web and the first thing to come up was your Youtube video, collecting the egg sac. Very cool!
1st, 2nd instar? what does that mean?:worship:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Schooling the Newbie! I looked up P Ornata on the web and the first thing to come up was your Youtube video, collecting the egg sac. Very cool!
1st, 2nd instar? what does that mean?:worship:
LOL - That's awesome!!

Some people have different thoughts on the whole instar thing but my point of view is that after they emerge from the eggs - and are eggs with legs - they are post embryo at that point...once they molt again (and resemble an actual spider) they are 1st instars. When they molt again, they are 2nd instars...and so on.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks Rob for all the information you keep sharing. I've been using an old incubator design from 20 years ago and I enjoyed the simplicity of the design you shared. I'm going to give it a try because I too really enjoy watching the development of the eggs and slings. :worship:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks Rob for all the information you keep sharing. I've been using an old incubator design from 20 years ago and I enjoyed the simplicity of the design you shared. I'm going to give it a try because I too really enjoy watching the development of the eggs and slings. :worship:
You are welcome my friend!!!