Inbreeding

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Has there been any studies on inbreeding tarantulas and the lasting effects/defects it might have?

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
I belive inbreeding takes so many generations to affect arthropods, I dont think a sibling pair of tarantulas would reslut in a wonky F1, people inbreed bettas all the time for disirable traits, I would not anthropomorphize spiders or fish thinking it is weird to inbreed them, then again I would not keep miliking the bloodline for so many generations...

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I doubt anyone would research inbreeding tarantula specificly. I could be wrong but you would need a lot of generations to get any results and the fact that T's take a few years to mature it would take half a lifetime to study the effects.

Tom Servo

Arachnopeon
If you're a game of thrones fan you'll have a stack of names ready for your inbred spiders.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
The hobby form and the newer WC specimens are very different. I remember reading a thread on here awhile back about these guys. It was kind of crazy to see the difference.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
The hobby form and the newer WC specimens are very different. I remember reading a thread on here awhile back about these guys. It was kind of crazy to see the difference.

Ohhh I thought you meant like disfigured inbreeding results sorry.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Nah, But they definitely became "watered down" in appearance over time for sure.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I've had this thought...

I've read that some of the more desired species like P Metallica all come from a single bloodline or a mix of two separate bloodlines. I don't know. I doubt that but who knows.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Are you sure you are not confusing 'inbreeding' with 'crossbreeding'? I believe B. albopilosum hobby form looks different because the bloodline is mudded with B. vagans blood (amongst others).

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I was just saying that decades of limited bloodlines though breeding can water down a species. Hobby form and Nicaraguan WC specimens of B. Albopilosum were an example that I instantly thought of when I read the post. Crossbreeding is a whole other can of worms.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Intentional inbreeding seems to be a common enough practice, but I haven't heard anything about it being studied. It really would take so long to accomplish and you'd also need a control group to compare the results.

It would be a really interesting study, but I bet there would be so many details to think of and set up, and not enough interested people with the time, money, or training to pull it off.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Hobby form and Nicaraguan WC specimens of B. Albopilosum were an example that I instantly thought of when I read the post.
It is true that the hobby form of B. albo looks differently compared to 'true' curly hairs. However, this is not due to inbreeding, but due to cross breeding with different species of the genus Brachypelma.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I will take your word for that as I am no expert by any means. I just always assumed that it was because of limited bloodlines and decades of breeding. Or a culmination of both maybe?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Inbreeding why do it if you don't have too? There have been reports that inbreeding is a no no. I've heard this for over a decade. People due a lot of inbreeding for example the new spiders that is in the hobby Theraphosinae sp. "Colombia" and Typhochlaena seladonia they'll be inbred and people will still purchase them at a high price. Personally I don't care about inbreeding I will never do it.

I have a chance to either due third generation inbreeding with the Brachypelma baumgarteni. Of course no way no how will due such foolish thing I will try to breed the second generation inbred baumgarteni with the new bloodlines from Mexico. The Mexico bloodline are babies from wild caught parents.

Last edited:

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also note some are from honduras whereas some are from Nicaragua.
I tend to buy species I want to breed in lots of 6 or more as slings and in my experience the males mature and hook out before I feel like any females are ready so they are moved on to other keepers. Having said that it is possible for there to be a good deal of inbreeding in those species for which there aren't many bloodlines available. It would take a long time to notice detriments, if any.