Impulse Buy at Petco

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I went to get some crickets tonight, and like always, I go look at their herp/arachnid selection. It turns out that the were having their B. smithi $39.99 special again. I noticed that one of their B. smithis was really a B. emilia, and against common sense (urticating hairs), I bought it. I guess I will have to get some rubber gloves for when I do cage maitenence. Oh well, I've really been needing to get a terrestrial display tarantula, as all mine currently are burrowers.

Jon

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
p.s. I will get a better pic when I can get some more light.

Jon

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
why does that look like a B.emilia,wait it is!

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I did the same thing here. I'm visiting in Oswego, NY and went to the closest
PETCO here near Syracuse. I was here last fall when they got all the baby B. smithis in and some were not red knees. Then I heard that some B. emilias were sold as Red knees by PETCO. Just had to see if they still had any. One of the 2 was a B. emilia. I asked if I could hold her then just picked it up. It let me turn it over to look underneath and I thought theres a good chance its a female. I have a small male Red knee so I wanted to take this one home.
$At 39.99 I don't think its too much to pay for a 2 inch or so female.
It is very calm and never even kicked any hairs so it is going to be a sweetie.
Someone there has done their homework because they had all the tarantulas,
B. smithi and G. roseas, on peatmoss with a hide and large water dish.

Sharon

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
And I thought you had given up Ts that have urticating hairs..? But the addiction takes over occassionally and you can't resist. ;) :D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mendi said:
And I thought you had given up Ts that have urticating hairs..? But the addiction takes over occassionally and you can't resist. ;) :D
I swear this will be the only one...:rolleyes: :cool: :) .

Actually, I do keep Avicularia and plan on getting some Ephebopus which also have urticating hairs. However, the one from Avicularia don't seem to bother me, so I'm guessing that I will be fine with the Ephebopus too. *knocking on wood 3 times*.

If I have too many problems with the emilia I will sell/trade it. But I'm going to try my best to get along with it just fine.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh yeah, when I was at Petco, there was a Bafoon there trying to buy a scorpion to feed to his dog -- to see what would happen. They wouldn't sell the idiot the scorpion.

Jon

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Me, too!

I got my little Tequila, B. emilia, at Petco advertised as a Mexican Red Leg ... the others looked like smithiis, but this one was different - so of course, I got him/her!! I seem to be totally immune to urticating hairs, and come to think of it, haven't had anyone kick at me, anyway ...

So, I also take a gander over at Petco when I am around that area, just to see if there are anyother boo-boos in my favor {D

Attachments

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought I got the same deal once upon a time; low and behold, the next molt my emilia turned into a smithi. I think mine was a bit smaller than yours though, so you could be set :)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Just resist handleling them too much until it gets pretty large, they a calmer the bigger they get B.smithi for me, is the itchiest of any T I have. And the adult female sometimes kicks as she is being removed from her enclosure but then is fine. I have never noticed any itchiness with emilia... But IME the the ones I have, they are less kicky than smithi

And if you can keep it until larger, even if you have to not touch it, raise it up.unless you get hives or something. A leg span of 4-5"will sell pretty much as soon as it be posted, and who know what you would be offered in trade :)
I know these were one if the first taken off my wishlist, sling and sexed female.

They are the epitome of tarantula-ness to pretty much everyone then they think of a T

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Big Dragonfly said:
Oh yeah, when I was at Petco, there was a Bafoon there trying to buy a scorpion to feed to his dog -- to see what would happen. They wouldn't sell the idiot the scorpion.
What the heck?!! What is wrong with people these days? ...to feed to his dog.... First time I ever heard of anything like that.

By the way, that's a really awesome looking spider. :D Very nice.

EDIT: I ran into the same thing just a few months back - I got a B. emilia that was mislabeled as a B. smithi... and I love her to death!

Last edited:

Hex

Arachnopeon
Big Dragonfly said:

Jon
HAHAHA... Boy some people are smart! I would have sold him the scorpion... a very deadly scorpion... morons need taught lessons ;)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
abstract said:
I thought I got the same deal once upon a time; low and behold, the next molt my emilia turned into a smithi. I think mine was a bit smaller than yours though, so you could be set :)
Once you know what to look for, you can easily tell the difference between small juvi. B. emilia and B. smithi -- especially when they are side by side. I once made the same mistake too. I think that plenty of brachy baby newbies make that mistake.

Jon

EvilCactus

Arachnopeon
Wow. I just bought a B. emilia that was marked as a redknee too. What is it with these stupid petshops?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
EvilCactus said:
Wow. I just bought a B. emilia that was marked as a redknee too. What is it with these stupid petshops?
I'm guessing that whomever sold the spiders to Petco, just marketed them as RedKnees. I seriously doubt that anyone at Petco looked down a list of tarantulas and arbitrarily picked out B. emilia and B. smithi and decided to sell them both as Mexican redknees.

Or they probably just got a good deal on both, but thought that calling them both Mexican Redknees would make them easier to sell, since they are what most people think of when they think of tarantulas -- or at least people of my generation (X).

Hmmm....well, there is a population in this country that will refer to B. smithi as Mexican Redleg -- even though throughout the hobby, that name is reserved for B. emilia. So maybe that is the source of the problem (not really a problem for those who know their spiders -- more of a treat).

I don't really know. I just made all that up.

Jon

:)

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Big Dragonfly said:
I'm guessing that whomever sold the spiders to Petco, just marketed them as RedKnees. I seriously doubt that anyone at Petco looked down a list of tarantulas and arbitrarily picked out B. emilia and B. smithi and decided to sell them both as Mexican redknees.

Or they probably just got a good deal on both, but thought that calling them both Mexican Redknees would make them easier to sell, since they are what most people think of when they think of tarantulas -- or at least people of my generation (X).

Hmmm....well, there is a population in this country that will refer to B. smithi as Mexican Redleg -- even though throughout the hobby, that name is reserved for B. emilia. So maybe that is the source of the problem (not really a problem for those who know their spiders -- more of a treat).

I don't really know. I just made all that up.

Jon

:)

The B. smithi and B. emilia that Petco has came from Tarantulas.com. I doubt it was a mixup on their end, Petco is just retarded.

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what would posses someone to try to feed a scorpion to there dog.. it makes me worrry people like that are alive an walk the earth.. Hahaha... i dont get wh people are always going on about the butt hairs.. lol i got a B.Smithi and he sure likes shootig those hairs at me i dont even feel them ive even got them in my face an nothing happened...or are B.Smithi's not sposed to hurt or itch or whatever lol. i dunno