Importing Tarantula(s)?

Frost

Arachnopeon
I am going on a trip to Puerto Rico and I will be visiting some rain forests. My intention is only to obtain some experience with field work and a little vacation, but if I can I would like to try to bring in a few specimens. Is this allowed? How can I do this legally <edit>? Please be relevant and stay on topic with your answers, I don't need any remarks. Thank you in advance. The species I would be interested in are Avicularia. Specifically an Avicularia Laeta.

Last edited by a moderator:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whether or not you believe it's relevant, I'll tell you now that you shouldn't be here soliciting advice on how to illegally import tarantulas into the country.

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just purchase specimens that are already in the country. It will be cheaper and doesn't come with any threat of legal prosecution. And asking for advice on breaking the law on a public forum is......well....it's not smart.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whether or not you believe it's relevant, I'll tell you now that you shouldn't be here soliciting advice on how to illegally import tarantulas into the country.
+1

It amazes me that this question was even asked. So you are seriously asking for ways to illegally bring in wild caught Ts into the country? You do realize we are completely against illegall importation. Way to support the hobby :clap:.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I in no way condone illegally smuggling tarantulas, but would it be illegal to bring from Puerto Rico, as it is a US territory? That being said, I would suggest buying from a breeder as supporting CB is much better than raping nature.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why would anyone want to get WC specimens themself and hence help endanger a species in their natural habitat? Especially Avics are being sold nearly all over the USA, same here in Germany. Don't wanna annoy anyone, but personally I wouldn't -ever- get WC T's if avoidable. There's a lot of respectable breeders out there, better honor them and purchase your T's from those people putting the effort into it to avoid people doing what you're thinking to do.

Just my 2 cents...

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
you know he did also ask how to bring them legally... everybody is so quick to talk smack... I didnt take his post as him asking how to actually smuggle.. it sounded more like he wants to know what is legal and what is illegal.. thats just me. and yea everybody is against WC specimens and so am I but I had the same questions awhile back..
Frost- I believe you need an importer/exporter license to bring into the US. also its a huge hassle and I believe a hefty amount of money.
not worth the attempt. (but thats up to you)

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Technically, you are not importing tarantulas if you bring them from Puerto Rico into the continental US. Since PR is part of the US, it's no more than bringing spiders from AZ or TX.

However, I'd check with them locally before putting anything in a jar. I know they don't take kindly to people from the upper 48 coming down and removing wildlife as if it is their own personal property. In fact, I believe that PR has specific laws that forbid the taking of most (if not all) native animals. I don't think I'd like to spend the end of my trip explaining my intentions to the local constabulary.

Also, getting them back can be problematic. Most airlines have strict rules about animals in the cabin. If TSA finds them through xray in your carry on (or in your checked bags from a random check), you will probably not be making your connecting flight.

Personally, I agree with most of the other posters. With the number of captive bred animals on the market, there is no reason whatsoever to take animals out of the wild. Why risk the hassle for what may seem like a free spider, but could turn out to be very expensive.

Last edited:

Frost

Arachnopeon
Of course you've got something to say. I'm not soliciting anything.

Frost

Arachnopeon
you know he did also ask how to bring them legally... everybody is so quick to talk smack... I didnt take his post as him asking how to actually smuggle.. it sounded more like he wants to know what is legal and what is illegal.. thats just me. and yea everybody is against WC specimens and so am I but I had the same questions awhile back..
Frost- I believe you need an importer/exporter license to bring into the US. also its a huge hassle and I believe a hefty amount of money.
not worth the attempt. (but thats up to you)
Thank you for having some type of brains. To everyone else being straight negative, how do most of you have T's to begin with? Every T in this hobby had to be caught and domesticated later on. If it's completely illegal to import a tarantula I wouldn't do it. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and I was curious. I'm 19yrs old with a lot more to lose over being stupid enough to bring in an animal that isn't allowed to be.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any perceived negativity was due to something that you wrote.

How were people supposed to interpret that? If there is a misunderstanding, all you have to do is clarify yourself, which you've done. Thank you.

Thobby1982

Arachnopeon
Just purchase specimens that are already in the country. It will be cheaper and doesn't come with any threat of legal prosecution. And asking for advice on breaking the law on a public forum is......well....it's not smart.
Am I reading the same post as you??? I dont see where they asked how to do it illegally, I saw thet they asked is allowed and how can it be done legally. I just scrolled back up to make sure and yup, they asked is it allowed and can it be done legally.

although I do agree they should just purcahse some that are already here instead bringing another WC into the hobby.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Am I reading the same post as you??? I dont see where they asked how to do it illegally, I saw thet they asked is allowed and how can it be done legally. I just scrolled back up to make sure and yup, they asked is it allowed and can it be done legally.
That's because it was edited. Hence the <edit> in the original post. Here:

How can I do this legally <edit>? Please be relevant and stay on topic with your answers, I don't need any remarks.
That last bit about staying on topic and not needing remarks would make no sense if he was only asking how to do it legally.

Jared781

Arachnobaron

That last bit about staying on topic and not needing remarks would make no sense if he was only asking how to do it legally.
Just a heads up everyone, dont battle this dude!

he WILL win

---------- Post added 02-08-2012 at 09:23 AM ----------

funny you've said that you will be going to a rainfeorest because i too will be going away soon (Mexico)

and i am also going to the rainforest :p and i really want to catch a wild specimen, but if i only find ONE

there is not point of going through all that trouble importing it! there is probably tons of papers to sign

BUT if it goes the way i hope by the end of the trip i should have 5 Ts in my Condo :/...

clearly Arachniphilia but hey! Iv always wanted to collect wild specimens.. maybe in a few years

it will be cool if i went on a trip specifically to find Ts, like what Martin & Amanda did (TarCan) very nice people by the way!

just do research for the time being, because Smuggling is a huge offence

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Jared781,

None of that made any sense....

So you would collect one single specimen? But if it goes the way you plan, you'll have 5 Ts after your trip? And you say it's not worth doing the paperwork and smuggling is a huge offense... Then what are you talking about doing? Sure sounds like smuggling to me.

Last edited:

Tarac

Arachnolord
there is probably tons of papers to sign

BUT if it goes the way i hope by the end of the trip i should have 5 Ts in my Condo :/...

clearly Arachniphilia but hey! Iv always wanted to collect wild specimens.. maybe in a few years

it will be cool if i went on a trip specifically to find Ts, like what Martin & Amanda did (TarCan) very nice people by the way!

just do research for the time being, because Smuggling is a huge offence
I think the issue is that the Mexican Government will never give you a permit for tarantulas in any time that could be considered "soon" if ever. Many scientists with long lists of credentials from prestigious institutions have difficulty in this regard and for organisms that are not even CITES.

Our government is much more amenable, you just have to fill out some paperwork, wait half the year (sometimes less) and pay per species (surprisingly little for non-CITES, last time I checked it was only about $50.00-80.00 US for the first species and $10.00 for each on after that up to a certain limit) and typically it requires some type of justification and a protocol regarding how you intend to detain them, dispose of them, etc. They need to be sure you are not bringing in some unwanted pests along with the target species, and that's assuming the target species isn't considered a pest itself (which all herbivore are here in Florida anyway). Often you have to submit a specimen to a state agency. I don't know exactly how it works for tarantulas specifically but that's the story for butterflies and moths. It's trickier getting anything CITES but it is absolutely possible, the fee is just accordingly higher I believe and with extra paperwork and better justification. People do it for Ornithoptera and some of the rare Morphos on a regular basis. Usually for re-sale as specimens in fact so I'm sure that "economic hardship" clause that gives business a pass to exploit the environment even when we know better is somehow involved. I've never dealt with anything CITES so I couldn't comment beyond that, but the folks over at insectnet.com have loads of experience and protocols available for how it's done with insects.

You will have to check federal and state laws as many states require there own sets of permits for live organisms in addition to the federal level. With that in mind, you still have to have the permit from the country of origin for legal export. If you do not, regardless of how perfect your permits are on this end, they are still illegal and you will be prosecuted, with heavy fines and likely jail time. It's really foolish to try illegally and moreover disrespectful on multiple levels to the community, to the animals and to the laws.

There are lots of state and government agencies you can call to find out about it but I will tell you from experience with other animals that it is ridiculously difficult to find any helpful information or a single informed employee at most of the agencies you will be calling.

I'm in-line with everyone else here in this regard- don't bother, it's a waste of time and money bringing something you can already buy and just adds insult to injury to the wild populations. You aren't bringing in something new or for the benefit of the animal or knowledge, I suspect that will be the justification for denying your permit anyway as they will say what we are saying- if all you want is 5 avicularia for pets, go buy some.

Thobby1982

Arachnopeon

I totally missed that EDIT, I guess I should really slow down when reading. I feel a little ignorant since I read it twice before posting and I still missed it.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
@Jared781,

So you would collect one single specimen? But if it goes the way you plan, you'll have 5 Ts after your trip? And you say it's not worth doing the paperwork and smuggling is a huge offense... Then what are you talking about doing? Sure sounds like smuggling to me.
Here we go:

but if i only find ONE there is not point of going through all that trouble importing it! there is probably tons of papers to sign ( if I only found one I`ll leave it in as its not worth the paperwork)

BUT if it goes the way i hope by the end of the trip i should have 5 Ts in my Condo :/... ( I`m looking for 5, if I find 5 I`ll attempt to fill out the papaerwork)

Last edited:

Jared781

Arachnobaron

Dont listen to what dexhxex said...

notice how the OP put "importing" and not smuggling!!!!

@Jared781,

5 ts in my Condo.... in Mexico! because im going on a trip

Because there isnt any point of importing 1 T

and for all the papers: YES you have to sign a bunch of papers

and NO ^^^^ this is still involved in the legal department.....