Importing/exporting scorpions.

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone here have experience getting scorpions exported from another country, into the U.S., from lets say... Morocco <- right next to Algeria.
Someone here may know why I am interested, but we will see.

Anyways it apears to be open for export, but I have never done this before so I wanted to know if anyone here has, or knows how?

Thought I would post while I am still searching.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Contact some imp/exporters that already do it for their own business (like Carolina specialty Pets, Glades...etc). They might be able to help you out. I have asked about certain species that are easy to find, but I still can't find an importer who can get them in the USA, so good luck.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess it makes a difference if you are just bringing some specimens with you after beeing on vacantions there or if you plan to be an importer of great number of them.
Guess you plan to get some Scorpio maurus or anything!?

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that if you want to become an importer/exporter yourself you have to go through a ton of paper work, but you "can" do it if you want to. The next step is to find an exporter in the country you are looking for and talk to him. It can be a pain in the ass for sure. The only reason to become an imp/exp is to do it for a business so you can get your money back by selling off animals, otherwise you end paying a ton for just a few scorps. My friend got his and he order about 100 geckos from a guy for about $2 a gecko. (sold them for $70 each here). It you are interested contact your local fish and game office.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The US is very strict about moving any form of animal across its borders, hence the reason its so difficult to get north american species in europe, theres some good info about it here

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/impexp.html

If you are going to import scorpions above board it will cost you alot.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Fusion,

how is it that there is a lot of H. arizonensis on the European market? Are these shipped legally from the US? If they are comming in legally, it is strange that we don't see any N. american centipedes or other inverts on the European market, as there would be a demand for them.

Cheers,

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@Dan,
Can't speak for the UK,..

but as for Belgium i did had a talk with an importer just recently about the same subject,...
his answer:

He could import American centipedes,.. but they are more expensive to import then most Scorps and the ones offered are mostly very tiny at high prices,.. and customers won't pay big money for a small pling if they can get for the same price a giant H.spadix or arizonensis :eek:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steven said:
He could import American centipedes,.. but they are more expensive to import then most Scorps and the ones offered are mostly very tiny at high prices,.. and customers won't pay big money for a small pling if they can get for the same price a giant H.spadix or arizonensis :eek:
That is a real shame. I wonder why they would be more expensive to import that scorpions though? They probablly arent as hardy as most scorpions, but i still can't see why that would be the case :confused: