import/export

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

Sometime early next year I'll be visiting Florida and I was wondering if there are any real difficulties involved in taking scorpions back home to Sweden by plane or if they have to be sent by airmail?

thanks for any info,

Andreas G

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good question......... They might consider them to be danger to other passengers. I don't think you are even allowed to take them on trains or buses.

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At least within EU scorpion traffic is alowed. All you have to do - contact airlines and find you what are the rules of transportations (you mai need some soft of specific container or something like that). I successfuly brought 2 scorps frm Germany to Lithuania, but I didn't declared it :rolleyes: I hided it among small beer bottles from Belgium ;) so X-Ray only saw bottles.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You would have to do a personal exportation through the USFWS, which limits you to seven specimens and still requires that you fill out the paperwork. It also requires that you leave via a designated port.

Cheers,
Dave

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is that regardless of species or just those protected by CITES? Which are the designated ports?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Someone mentioned that they had placed scorps in cigarette boxes and film canasters before. I wouldnt see why this would fail. Aslong as the scorps can survive an X-ray. I dont see why they would show up going through an x-ray. Just fill a few film canasters with tissue and scorps. If and when you do this I would love to hear of the outcome.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do it like the columbians do it... take some of the "product" in this case "scorpions" throw them in a condom, swallow them... and then poop them out on the plane :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
This is for all specimens. CITES is an even bigger headache.

And yes, smuggling is of course feasable, but so is murder. We've all done illegal things (speeding, for example), but one must balance the potential penalties with the rewards. I've seen a lot of people dismissing animal smuggling as inconcequential -- but if you were to get caught and run up against some by-the-book officials you could easily find yourself facing a huge fine or even jail time. I've bent some rules in my time, but I am doing my darndest to keep things legal, if only on principle.

Cheers,
Dave

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@ Shammer4life
That method might just be a little too risky :). Should I attempt smuggling then I think I'll try another method just in case I get the runs midflight.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lmao, ya that would probably not be very good! You could also try taping them to your genital region... LMAO

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One Of The Reasons!!!

One of the main reasons of the strong regulations regarding import-export animals, verts, etc, is because Countries are trying to protect life, protect from any posible spreading desease, desease from animals can spread in a certain region within a week, and contaminate waters. ( just take a look of some countries in africa, with malarea, Nile desease). thats the reason of quaratine, and other regulations.

I hear from a Mexican Doctor once he new the running water in a ? state was contaminated once, because an animal was infected and it spread the desease very quick.

of course CITES protect endanger animals but I think that does not mean an non endanger species will not be endanger in the future.

I prefer to get animals with papers than wild caught species.

Saludos

Marcelo

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In both cases, when the animal is imported and it escapes it can wreck havoc on the local flora/fauna.

BTW, I am in Mexico too (Veracruz)

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

Sometime early next year I'll be visiting Florida and I was wondering if there are any real difficulties involved in taking scorpions back home to Sweden by plane or if they have to be sent by airmail?

thanks for any info,

Andreas G
Hi Andreas,
I was wondering if you managed to get your scorpion to Sweden? I would like to take my spiders to Sweden and I've been trying to figure out the laws and plane policies etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !