Impending T Blondi molt and I'm nervous!

Mudskipper

Arachnopeon
My 3 inch Blondi stopped eating a few weeks ago and now her bald behind has turned black..molts are old hat for me BUT I lost my 7 year old 9 inch Blondi female to a bad molt 4 months ago and now I'm biting my nails over Kiwi (3 incher) understandably. I need reassurance LOL :rolleyes: :8o

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Make sure the water bowl is full. Raising the humidity would help. Dont overdo it though. She will be fine. Just relax. U sound more nervous than the spider. :p
I would be nervous to if I had lost a 7 year old to a bad molt. What happened?

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry to hear about your 9" female:(

I've a 3"+ blondi that should be pre-molt in a few weeks, aslong as your keeping it the same as you have for past molts it should be fine, sometimes bad molts just happen, but those are rare:)

Good luck, keep us informed!!!

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, your lost was probably not your fault mate, theres no need to be afraid they did it for millions of years ;) pretty sure she will be fine, give us update

Mudskipper

Arachnopeon
This will be Kiwi's first molt in my care since I haven't had her too long. I'm still not sure what went wrong with the old girl. The molt seemed to go fine, she didn't get hung up or anything..she just didn't flip back over and never seemed to recover despite immediate ICU treatment. :'(

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have yet to experience the thrill (or heartache) of a molt... I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Be careful with too much humidity though. My T. blondi is in pre-molt right now and I tried to raise humidity by spraying a little extra and ended up with mold. Now I just make sure that his water is always full. I'm a little nervous about this molt too, I've heard so many stories about blondi's having bad molts. Hope all goes well for you!

P.P.'s Mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you consider ICU?

I've read a couple of people mention ICU treatment. I would love to know what all that entails in case of an emergency at my house. I'm a new owner (just over 1 month) and have not experienced much of anything including molts! Please inform me and help me to be prepared. I have the nail mender polish so far!!!

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mud...don't mist your t.blondi....they don't like it or need it. Just have adequate fresh water everyday. I'm sure all will go well.

Mom, don't ever move a molting or freshly post-molted T into an ICU...the stress and movement will kill them. ICUs are not for molts going/gone badly....you have to work with them where they are if they are stuck in the molt. Only use the ICU after many hours post-molt if they are displaying problems. Use the search to look up reasons to put a T in ICU.

Mud...I know how you feel losing your older T. I lost a g.pulchra I raised from a sling to 8+ years due to a bad molt because I could not see into her burrow. That will NEVER happen to me again because I always have a peep window for the burrows.

I cried for days when I lost that gentle girlfriend of mine and the guilt was overwhelming. I loved her so :(

P.S. I only have one T at a time...makes it really hurt when they die.

Last edited:

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am sorry to everyone who lost their T's to bad molts. I just got my first blondi for a Christmas present from my hubby, who bought her at 8". She just molted 9 days ago, and it was a perfect molt, and she looks beautiful, and she is meaner than ever (I thought she was mean before? HAH!). I wouldn't worry. All I did was keep her water dish full, and she came through like a champ. I wouldn't mist it...just keep the dish full. It worked fine for me! Keep us posted about it's progress! Good luck!

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My 6.5" blondi is in premolt, and should be molting any day now, just keep doing what you have been doing, and yes make sure the water dish is nice an full.

-Mattyb

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
In your experiences, how long do larger T. blondi's stay in premolt? Mine has had a black butt for a couple of weeks now, but no molt yet. It's driving me crazy with anticipation!! :mad:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well my 6.5" blondi, he has been in premolt for about a month now.

-Mattyb

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 8" blondi was in premolt for just over 3 weeks. I was beginning to think it wasn't gonna happen, just because it SEEMED like it was so much longer! Everything went great though. It was my first molt with her, and she is my first blondi, so that is my only time frame I have! Good luck!

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.P.'s Mom said:
I've read a couple of people mention ICU treatment. I would love to know what all that entails in case of an emergency at my house. I'm a new owner (just over 1 month) and have not experienced much of anything including molts! Please inform me and help me to be prepared. I have the nail mender polish so far!!!
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=41531&highlight=intensive
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=31332&highlight=intensive
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=16467&highlight=intensive
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=16070&highlight=intensive
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=32342&highlight=unit

Gemein

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope everything goes well for you; naturally after a loss; things will seem stressful; but no need to worry. I wish you the best with the upcoming T molt :D

Mudskipper

Arachnopeon
The molt went perfectly. :clap: Saw her flip over out of the corner of my eye and watched the whole thing. I'm no pro at sexing but it looks like I have a female. Probably going to send the molt off to someone who's better at it to be sure.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congrats on your succefull molt, was it as bad as you thought it would be?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. Blondi shedding...

You can relax now my friend. Your Blondi has endured this rite of passage with flying colors. Let her rest and hydrate up. In most cases the nail biting won't help the molting process but I understand the anticipation!! :D

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Indeed, my 9 inch blondi is in premolt right now and I don't think I have nails left at this point :eek: