Im very very very upset

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I started out with 5 C. versicolor slings around 1,5 years ago. three died relatively quickly do to some errors i made with the husbandry and they just seemed frail. but the remaining two were doing very well and were beautiful and getting pretty big. with 2cm bodylength i assumed they were out of the danger zone so to speak.

but I just found the biggest one like this, seems it got stuck while trying to molt:

20180307_225707.jpg

jaycied

Arachnoknight
So sorry for your loss. I've had the same thing happen with 3 Y diversipes slings. I just lost the last one I had yesterday due to being stuck in a molt.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I mean the first three were so small but these last two were about 2 inch legspan so i was like, they're so hardy (and they were). this one is half stuck and curled.

cold blood

Staff member
How is a 1.5+ year old versi still that small? It doesn't even have its purples (at least not that I can see).

I've raised like 17 males to maturity, I think 13 or 14 months was the longest any took to reach that size....most matured in a year. But body length tells me absolutely nothing regards to the actual size of the t...going by body size, all MMs shrink with their ultimate molt, but all gain leg span.

Stinks that you have had such poor luck with them:(...maybe post pics of the entire enclosure set up...something has to be wrong somewhere. Are they being kept dry?

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How is a 1.5+ year old versi still that small? It dpesn't even have its purples (at least not that I can see).

I've raised like 17 males to maturity, I think 13 or 14 months was the longest any took to reach that size....most matured in a year. But body length tells me absolutely nothing regards to the actual size of the t...going by body size, all MMs shrink with their ultimate molt, but all gain leg span.

Stinks that you have had such poor luck with them:(...maybe post pics of the entire enclosure set up...something has to be wrong somewhere. Are they being kept dry?
Mine was about the same size at that age. Also died stuck in a molt.

I'm not sad about it. More annoyed than sad. These are unthinking animals I like to care for. Not family members.

Last edited:

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
this one was beginning to show his purples through the blue. I was keeping them dry (with water dish ofc) with enough ventilation.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Beautiful spider I'm sorry it passed. Seen a lot of posts about dead C. versicolor lately and as I just got a 3/4" sling I'm hoping it does okay...

zoogirl

Arachnopeon
Beautiful spider I'm sorry it passed. Seen a lot of posts about dead C. versicolor lately and as I just got a 3/4" sling I'm hoping it does okay...
ME TOO!! I just got a 1/2" baby last Thursday. She seems to finally be settling in, ate for me for the first time last night and finally put up a few strings to a web today. I was getting worried about her.....being new to this and all :)

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
@Robyn8 Was it stuck because it was in a tight space or did it have enough space to molt properly but still get stuck regardless?

My diversipes just died recently because it got stuck while trying to molt in a really tight space so I was just wondering.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry for your loss, hon! Really I am! This is the saddest thing I've heard all day!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I started out with 5 C. versicolor slings around 1,5 years ago. three died relatively quickly do to some errors i made with the husbandry and they just seemed frail. but the remaining two were doing very well and were beautiful and getting pretty big. with 2cm bodylength i assumed they were out of the danger zone so to speak.

but I just found the biggest one like this, seems it got stuck while trying to molt:

View attachment 268700
It looks like their wasn't enough space for your tarantula to moult. It decided to moult right at the top of the enclosure and as your picture shows the lid would have basically stopped it. So sad.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
seems it made a molting hammock about 2 inches below the lid. was that too small? i moved the sling in the middle of the enclosure for the pic. the hammock was lower to the side.

Last edited:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This happened to me a few years back too. I bought 5 C.versicolor and I got 4 males and 1 female. Sold all the males and kept the female, and when she was around 3.5 inches she got stuck in a molt and was dead when I found her. I still removed her out of the molt easily enough as she was still very soft, but she was a goner. Kinda spoiled the species for me.

basin79

ArachnoGod
seems it made a molting hammock about 2 inches below the lid. was that too small? i moved the sling in the middle of the enclosure for the pic. the hammock was lower to the side.
Ah right. The pic made me think it was a tight squeeze.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron

View attachment 268700
god i remember when my L1 mantis died of a molting incident im sorry man i know how hard that can be. i only had the mantis for about a week and i cried over its death so i cant imagine how raising a sling and having it die feels. im sorry for your loss

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
One thing i found odd, is that this molt came very unexpected and it has just molted a few weeks prior. Abdomen wasn't even noticeably big.