I'm new to the hobby, and my Rosea made an eggsac yesterday!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad you found someone to help out. OK, the best thing you can do is get the light off her cage. It will dry out the air, and lower the humidity. If she has a screen lid, cover 90% of the lid with saran wrap or something else. Then the opposite side of where she is at, soak the substrate down some. Try and keep it moist. Or take a deli cup or other container, and stick it in there full of water. The eggs will need the humidity in the air in order to develop right. Without it, they will have molting problems. Also, be very careful to not let any of the water get near the sac, or it could completely ruin all of it. Good luck.
I think I've found a breeder that's not too far from here that is willing to meet me somewhere that can properly care for the egg sac and babies. She's even offered to split the wholesale costs. ^_^ I'm more worried about them making it than the money. Layla brought her eggsac out of the cave this morning and was sitting with it. From the light I have on her tank, I could actually see the perfectly round impressions on the eggsac of the eggs, since the webbing is a little thinner than what I've seen in other pictures online. There are definitely eggs in there, and it is not a phantom sac! She is very protective, and is doing a good job taking care of them.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Good luck... but just to let you know, phantom sacs is usually what people call a sac laid by an unmated female, ie one with infertile eggs in it.

Marga

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i meant to say this also. Phantom sacs will have eggs, they will just be infertile.
Good luck... but just to let you know, phantom sacs is usually what people call a sac laid by an unmated female, ie one with infertile eggs in it.

Marga

Rhadora

Arachnopeon
I looked up The Legacy of Annie Rose, and read the summary, and was like "HOLY CRAP!" hahaha I sounds so much like what has happened to me it's crazy! I have to buy this book and read it. I bought Layla to get over my arachnophobia, which she has more than helped me accomplish. And now all of the sudden she has an eggsac? hat is crazy! LOL Thank you for recommending this book, I can't wait to read it!

---------- Post added 01-21-2013 at 08:22 PM ----------

How can you tell if they are phantom sacs? Will she eventually just abandon it?

---------- Post added 01-21-2013 at 08:25 PM ----------

I did not know that about the light! I fixed that right away when I read this, thank you so much! I did as you said and soaked the substrate down where her water dish is at, which is on the opposite side of her cave where she likes to keep the sac. But I don't have any saran wrap just yet, my neighbor is digging out a piece of plexi glass, will that work?
Glad you found someone to help out. OK, the best thing you can do is get the light off her cage. It will dry out the air, and lower the humidity. If she has a screen lid, cover 90% of the lid with saran wrap or something else. Then the opposite side of where she is at, soak the substrate down some. Try and keep it moist. Or take a deli cup or other container, and stick it in there full of water. The eggs will need the humidity in the air in order to develop right. Without it, they will have molting problems. Also, be very careful to not let any of the water get near the sac, or it could completely ruin all of it. Good luck.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can tell if they are phantom sacs if you know for sure the female has never been mated, she has molted in your care, not been mated, and then dropped a sac. Basically if you know for sure she is not fertile, then you know its a phantom. Unless you happen to have E. olivacea, who can store sperm through a molt, and drop a fertile sac. Which is awesome, and still on my wishlist! Yeah glad you got the light out of there. Just keep it moist, and anything you wanna cover the top with will work. A book, plexiglass, saran wrap, towel, carpet, flamingo, herbie the love bug, aliens, pretty much anything :).

Rhadora

Arachnopeon
LOL I'm not sure if she's been mated, and I've had her for 14 days and she hasn't molted in my care. So there's no telling, and I guess it's just a waiting game right now. It was overwhelming at first, but I'm hoping the sac is fertile. I've been doing everything I can to make sure that if it is, the spiderlings will make it comfortably. If they hatch, it'll be an awesome new experience. If not, it's still useful knowledge, if I ever decide to breed her.^_^ Phantom sac or not, she's being an awesome mama. She always has at least two legs touching it at all times.
7 days down...

You can tell if they are phantom sacs if you know for sure the female has never been mated, she has molted in your care, not been mated, and then dropped a sac. Basically if you know for sure she is not fertile, then you know its a phantom. Unless you happen to have E. olivacea, who can store sperm through a molt, and drop a fertile sac. Which is awesome, and still on my wishlist! Yeah glad you got the light out of there. Just keep it moist, and anything you wanna cover the top with will work. A book, plexiglass, saran wrap, towel, carpet, flamingo, herbie the love bug, aliens, pretty much anything :).

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well hopefully you get lucky and she is holding onto fertilized eggs. Be sure to keep us updated. And make sure to have that incubator ready just incase.

Rhadora

Arachnopeon
I have everything for the incubator you laid out for me, and I'm all set. Thank you so much John, I feel much better about doing all this and I probably wouldn't be attempting this at all if it wasn't for your guidance. ^_^ The humidity is up to 75% though, with it being 80 degrees, and the top covered 90%. Is that humidity too high for the sac?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad the incubator is coming along. Your more than welcome, im happy to help. I dont think that humidity will be a problem. When in the incubator, most people have the humidity at 100% or very close to it. Also forgot to tell you, if your using a stick on plastic humidity gauge, pitch it in the trash. They are useless. It will give you a somewhat rough estimate, but not good enough. Best thing you can do is make sure that one spot in the enclosure stays moist, water dish full, keep the lid mostly blocked off. That will be plenty good enough.