Im lost

SavesTheDay

Arachnopeon
Since i got my new ,and very first, scorpion (p. imperator) I've had a lot of fun learning about them and watching my own. I even want to try and breed some and check into other species, but i feel like im doing a lot of things wrong enough as it is!

- First, i've read all through this site looking for sure-fire ways of maintaining a high humidity level but it seems there arent many definate solutions. I even went out and bought a new hygrometer since mine never got above 80. The new one has hit 80 but its barely there. Huge water dish, false bottom, covered top, the works. My next step is switching to totally peat or jungle mix and flooding the substrate. Perhaps i just havent tried enough ways....or at least the RIGHT ones. This will be my third time changing the substrate and it has to be stressing him out! This leads me to my next question.

- I bought him a reptile cave as a hide and he stays in it ALL THE TIME. Now this doesn't bother me much because that seems like normal behavior from alot or the posts i've read, but at the same time, its pretty agrivating trying to make everything perfect for him and never get to see him :( but anyway. Anytime he eats it's in his cave and i have to lift it up and clean out the cricket bits. Part of me wants to take it out permantly for a couple reasons. 1: it would make for easier cleaning and less stress everytime i disturb him. 2: I might actually get to see him burrow. I've even tried starting one for him with a pencil that would lead down along the glass (so i could see him) in hopes he would continue it but he completly ignores it. But then again if there are cricket bits down in his burrow(if he'll ever make one) i wont be able to clean and wont be able to control mold and fungus. Will this be a problem? Whats the solution here?!?!?

I have since realized the biggest mistake i've made is preparing a suitible habitat and making sure all the settings are correct BEFORE getting the scorpion. However that was kind of hard seeing as how someone got him for me as a surprise gift. It's also very likely that im stressing over nothing since alot of people figure humidity is overrated. Has anyone ever come across such problem with the burrowing/mold issue? Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yea changing the substrate 3 times is stressing. I do not use a false bottom. I just use my substrate in a 5 gal tank and I mist and pour water down the sides of the tank everyday. Am I crazy?? because my humidity reads 100%. The false bottom works wonders but I just dont have the time for it. I've been taken over by mites too many times. Do you mist? pour water around the sides and corners? Try it...you'll notice how the water doesnt just splat like it does in the middle of the tank, it will seep into the substrate when poured around the sides of the glass. It helps for me. My scorp loves it. Ever since I moved her in there, she stopped doing stupid things like chewing on grass and bark, which I think she did for moisture.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
If you use peat you will almost never get mold anywhere. That said there are some types of mold I have seen inside the burrows but it has not affected the scorpion in any way. There are quite a few types of mold. The kind that grows on leftover food is the kind you don't want as this attracts other pests.

I suspect for species such as Pandinus and Heterometrus that mold/fungus is present in their natural environments to some extent.

Your attempts to raise the humidity are fine. 80% is more than adequate...you don't need 100% in the least. The only times in the wild an Emporer would experience 100% humidity is if it were outside in the rain or doing the backstroke.

John
];')

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey SavesTheDay,
Im new to this as well so I can feel your pain.
I think maybe your stressing a little too much over some things.
Give the scorpion time to settle in. Everything your doing seems to be fine to me except for the fact of constantly disturbing the atmosphere.
Now that my Emperors have settled in I can catch a glimpse of them once the lights have been toned down in the room.

When I first put my 3 emperors in they ran and hide and I didnt see them for a couple of days. Now I see the claws of one and have seen another peeping out. The third burrowed and I havent seen him at all.
I am beginning to understand that P.Imperartors are kinda like this, and you probably wont see them very much.

Maybe my set up can help you out. Take a look...

Link

Mine is staying at 80%, and I would agree with Kugellager that it should be fine.

I have thought about using a not so strong vacuum cleaner hose to skim the top of the substrate so to pick up any left over criket parts. I think it may work.
Im a beginner as well so consider my advice after those given by the more experienced like Kugellager and RaZeDaHeLL666.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I'm Rolling over in my grave! LOL!

John
];'P

Last edited:

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NoS said:
Im a beginner as well so consider my advice after those given by the more experienced like Kugellager and RaZeDaHeLL666.
{D Thanx, Ill take that as a compliment, but I am not yet as experianced as Kugellager or SkinheadDave.

Last edited:

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
I'm Rolling over in my grave! LOL!

John
];'P
Was it something I said. Or are you just making fun of me?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
NoS said:
Was it something I said. Or are you just making fun of me?
I think John was refering to the fact that the most prolific posters are not always the most experienced and that lots of half-truths and speculations aren't necessarily in the best interest of the hobby when presented as fact.

Cheers,
Dave

SavesTheDay

Arachnopeon
Well if there are leftover food parts down in the burrow it could cause an infestation where i couldn't get to it right? I actually think i might have to get rid of him anyway :( I'm a person with a lot of allergies,sinuses,asthma problems, etc. and im thinking the mold and/or bacteria from the terrarium has been making me sick lately. I would justmove it to another room but then i would never get to see him plus my room is the warmest one in the house. Maybe i'll check into a desert species or something......

EDIT: Is it very common for people with allergies or sinuses to get sick when dealing with humid scorps? It kinda makes sense if you have mold allergies but i thought it was a certain kind of mold that was only outdoor.....

Last edited:

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
If you do find you are allergic to things that humid species might bring then your suggestion of switching to a desert species would be an excellent choice...to add to that they are , for the most part, even easier to care for that those which humidity is more of an issue.

John
];')