Im lookin for a new. Communal Type of Scorp..

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ANy ideas? i like how i can house my emps together and they do great .
but i want to broaden my Horizons and get a new type of communal Scrop..
Id actually like to see them use there Tail to kill prey too ..

but on another not . not one TOO venomous . one thing i wont have is a pet that can kill me .. but thats understandable right ? lmao:D
My experience with scorps is now where near what i know and do with T's so
any input would be great guys! thanks!

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Centruroides vittatus/gracilis/hentzi, Rophalurus junceus, Babycurus jacksoni, Isometrus sp. , Lychas sp., Mesobuthus martensii/gibbosus....

And there are a lot more.

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the person above me has it pretty much covered. i cant really think of any more species that arent too hot.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have a lot of options, one way to narrow it down is do you want a bark species or a desert species? For bark species, mostly any Centruroides species or B. jacksoni are great. For desert, Hottentotta Judaicus is a great communal species.

All those species basically rate a 3/5 on venom toxicity. They certainly won't kill you, but a sting would be rather unpleasant.

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well if you want a scorpion you will actually see more than once a month don't go with B. Jacksoni. I have 6 now in a 10 gallon and they never come out. Only time I see them is when I lift up hides top make sure they haven't eaten each other. I'd go with M. Martensii like Emperors you can house large numbers together. I have no experience with any Centruroides sp. so I couldn't help you there. Lychas Mucronatus (Chinese Swimming Scorpion) is also a good one. Scorpio Maurus are considered communal, but they do tend to kill each other on occasion.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Uroctonus mordax.

Uroctonus mordax.

Uroctonus mordax.

:D

These guys are just like miniature emperors (they only get to about 2") and they're native to the Pacific Northwest. They burrow a lot but they're still neat little guys with mild venom and they usually sting their prey.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of dealers or breeders that carry them, so your best bet is to catch them yourself.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Centruroides.
Vittatus being my preference.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can't go wrong with B. jacksoni! From my experience, their temperament is pretty good. They tend to play dead a lot and they'll act like you don't know that they're there, so you have to watch out for that. Plus they have beautiful coloration. The venom is a 3/5 (5 being most venomous), but aren't considered to be medically significant. Just read the sting reports here. Overall a sweet scorp and you definitely won't regret getting some! I have 5 of them. I got them as 3i and they're now 4i. They're very good eaters and it's neat to watch them subdue their prey, although it usually only takes a sting. They'll cannibalize during molts, so you'll have to get adults if you don't feel like waiting for them to mature and then introduce them. I can't wait for mine to mature :)

Hope that helped.

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ehh....Like someone posted above me, B. Jacksoni are really boring. I have 4 in a 5.5 Gallon aquarium, and I might see them once a week at like 2 a.m. They are beautiful scorps, Ill give them that, but if you want something active I would go with a Centruroides species or H. Judaicus.

Tobarnis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have B. Jacksoni and never see 'em.

I have C. vittatus and they are out most of the time.