I'm freaking addicted.

EvilCactus

Arachnopeon
Yes, I bought a new tarantula. She's a B. smithi I named Kali. Me and my boyfriend theeternal browsed the pet shop last week and saw her. Bryan sexed her and said she was female. This week, when I was buying some food for mine and Bryan's spideys, I decided to get her. She can be a little skittish, but she's mostly docile as heck. Here's a pic of her munching on a cricket tonight. I THINK my collection is complete now. If I get any more, I'm going to tarantula's anonymous.

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice B. Smithi she's beautiful and i know what you about T's being addictive i got my first one last week and now i have a total of three, and deciding on getting a B. smithi or an A. Metallica this weekend

kavka

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the club.

Last edited:

littlefoot

Arachnopeon
that's a beautiful B. smithi! wow..

gosh, you tarantula people are going to get me just as addicted as you are! :D and i'm not complaining!

*adds B. smithi to list*

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
EvilCactus said:
Yes, I bought a new tarantula. She's a B. smithi I named Kali. Me and my boyfriend theeternal browsed the pet shop last week and saw her. Bryan sexed her and said she was female. This week, when I was buying some food for mine and Bryan's spideys, I decided to get her.
Wow. Look what I started ;) hehehe

It's okay. You only have four so far. My first year of serious hobbying (three years into keeping them), I got as many as 80+. Now, I'm comfy at 25. Well, I still want a couple more ;)

-Bryan

DNK Pets

Arachnopeon
OK I had to do it. If this works this is the one I bought at the BTS show photographed on my new Fuji S5000 camera and resized to fit.

What do you guys and gals think.

Attachments

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well after count-less hours of debating on either a b. smithi or an A. metallica i have decided to get both :D and i'm prolly gonna pick up the E. campestratus they have there too. good thing i'm moving into a three bedroom they're going to get their own room.... :}

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
house mix

:confused: O.K. i see so many people posting that they have 4, 5, 20, 47, or even 90 T's. At the same time i see pic's of realy nice ones in realy make_shift looking houses. Cups, trash cans and large tupper ware containers. I know aquariums can be costly, espeacialy if you have 1 million T's. What exactly are you guys using???

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
jayco_heat said:
:confused: O.K. i see so many people posting that they have 4, 5, 20, 47, or even 90 T's. At the same time i see pic's of realy nice ones in realy make_shift looking houses. Cups, trash cans and large tupper ware containers. I know aquariums can be costly, espeacialy if you have 1 million T's. What exactly are you guys using???
Shoeboxes, deli cups, and vials. Dry food storage containers for arboreals (other than slings).

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anything that is ventilated, or can be made ventilated with a drill - and holds substrate. Pretty much any option is open, from delicups to pasta-containers. "Sweaterboxes" etc. also acceptable. Take a trip to target and say to yourself - "can I put dirt in this, and can a T escape?" :?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
jayco_heat said:
I've found these little plastic display cases at Michael's (a craft store). They're $4 for the largest size, and very easy to fit for spiders.

It's all about budgetting. Would I rather spend $10-20 on each cage (25 of them), or would I rather save most of that and get some new spiders at the next show? ;)

-Bryan

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tarantulas Anonymous

Addiction is easy from this message board. For over a decade I had one T, a Chilean rosehair. After finding this message board a little over a year ago...now I have 13. There's something about a mob mentality that can shape human behavior :rolleyes:

youasmyonlyhope

Arachnopeon
DNK Pets said:
OK I had to do it. If this works this is the one I bought at the BTS show photographed on my new Fuji S5000 camera and resized to fit.

What do you guys and gals think.
what a cuuuutie. an excellent picture as well. :D

PreciousB

Arachnopeon
7 and counting

I certainly know what you mean!! Last Oct I went to an "exotic pet" show. I had wanted a T for a while so after much consideration I purchased a juvi B. smithi.. Well, about a month later an adult female G. pulchara joined my household, followed a couple weeks later by a sub-adult female E. campestratus.
A few months later a sub-adult G. aureostriata and my first 2 s'lings, a B. vagan and a C. fimbriatus joined the collection.

A friend had a G. rosea that died after 15 years so I gave him the Zebra.. He never held his T so he was excited to get one that he could hold. Well, I had to replace it.. right?? :p

I really wanted a L. parahybana so I ordered a s'ling along with a sub-adult B. albopilosum, and got the cutest little P. murins for free.
Unfortunately the L. parahybana didn't survive the shipping so the seller said "no problem, I'll replace it. Do you want anything else?" Well, I couldn't just get one little sling - what a waste of packaging {D so, a juvi A. versicolor and an A. avicularia s'ling were added to the order - to fill the container of course :D and I'll get another orange terror as well.. so when they get here next week, that will take me up to 11... I think that will be it for a while.. I'm running out of space for all the "houses".

Lanna

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yea, well I thought I was doing allright because all of my T's fit into one display case (an old 27" TV stand) - with a few stragglers in tanks. I'm moving apartments, so I figured I'd take the spiders over there last night before I got the rest of my furniture etc.

After packing them well, all 24 of my babies took up the entire trunk and back seat. I think I only had about 5-10 when I moved into this last apartment; they multiply soooo fast...

Can't complain though! There's always one that's maturing male and getting shipped off....so the number fluctuates.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I KNOW the feeling! Years ago, when I was in college(back in the Stone Age)I had a B. smithi from a pet shop. To give you an idea of how long ago THAT was, I only paid $10.00 for it, and it was an adult! Turned out to be a male, though, so I didn't have it but a year before it went to the Great Big Web in the Sky. I didn't get another until last fall, of '03, when a kindergarten teacher gave me a big female G. rosea that her son had left with her when he ran off and got married. This was one NASTY spider, the equal of any P. murinus for sheer attitude, but it got me started on that road to addiction. She was soon joined by the following:

0.1 adult Avicularia metallica
0.1 sub-adult Avicularia avicularia
0.1 adult Brachypelma smithi
0.1 adult Grammostola aureostriata(BIG)
0.1 sub-adult Grammostola pulchra
0.1 juvie Grammostola rosea(cute little fuzzy thing)
0.0.1 unsexed juvie Aphonopelma texensis
0.1 Eupalaestrus campetratus adult
0.1 adult Brachypelma vagans
0.0.1 unsexed subadult Brachypelma albopilosum

These are soon to be joined by another adult female G. rosea and an adult female Avicularia versicolor, so yeah, it is definately time to join Tarantulas Anonymous!

pitbulllady