I'm A Mother! Well, she is...

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Scolopendra subspinipes de haani just laid eggs. She was in a 120gallon with 2 others for 3 months. I always found them piling on one another (just look up centipede experiment), until one morning I came in... well she was the only one left. So they tolerate each other until females are fertile and ready to lay. I put her in a small tank and in a short while I got this :D :

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks... it's sad that I lost the other two (what I believe were males). But atleast I got a successful breeding.

AlexG

Arachnopeon
Nice, but by disturbing her like you did, you might compromise the whole thing...

you gotta leave her alone about 2 months!

good luck!

Alex

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice, but by disturbing her like you did, you might compromise the whole thing...

you gotta leave her alone about 2 months!

good luck!

Alex
i don't know about all that. i have done quite silly things to centipedes on eggs and with young and had no problems

of course... they have eaten eggs for no readily apparent reason either, so...

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good job :). It's true that mothers can be disturbed a bit and still tolerate it. I've transported a centipede on eggs in a cooler for half a day before and she didnt move a bit from her eggs :). Good luck with her!!!!

phil.

AlexG

Arachnopeon
I did disturbed females on eggs too, but you gotta use your judgment to dont go off the limits :5: , I had more success than females eating their eggs, but still wanna be carefull :rolleyes:

alex

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
congrats man! it is always exciting to find eggs...be careful bothering them...but i too have seen them eaten for no reason as well as eating them with heavy provocation...good luck!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yah I've only disturbed her twice. Once when I found the eggs... the second to snap the photo. I've left her be since. I tend to have more success with all my animals when I leave them be and forget about them until gestation/incubation is over. Disturbing them always leads to stress.