im a beginner... whats misting?

jom123

Arachnopeon
i have 2-2.5" g.rosea... the original owner told me to mist it everyday because its summer.... if i have to mist the aquarium do i have to remove my tarantula in aquarium?? thanks... i have a follow up questions :D

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Misting" is using a spray bottle filled with water and spraying the inside of your T's enclosure. But believe me, all you need to do to keep your G. rosea hydrated is give it a shallow dish with water; misting is not necessary.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Misting is where you spray the enclosure down with water.. Being that you have a G. rosea you dont need to mist the enclosure... Just keep a waterdish in with the T at all times.. If you want to mist the enclosure only mist half the substrae.. A G. rosea likes it bone dry..

jom123

Arachnopeon
thanks... i put shallow dish on my aquarium... any tips? how about feeding? and handling? :D

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Feeding regimen varies from person to person, but in general, G. rosea can do with a feeding once a week, or every other week. They can also fast for weeks/months at a time. For handling, I'd suggest the cupping method or letting it walk onto your hand. Once out of its container, keep it close to the ground or a flat/padded surface to lessen the height of a fall (should it happen). Definitely don't grab its legs or palps.

jom123

Arachnopeon
eh how about the meaning of DLS? and hows the growth rate? thanks again...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DLS = Diagonal leg span

Growth rate for a G. rosea super slow..

jom123

Arachnopeon
wow thanks alot! i want to have a next tarantula... maybe a smithi, albo or chaco... :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say get one of each of them... They are kept they same exact way..

Welcome to the boards & addiction! :D

Scolaratari

Arachnopeon
Try your hand at a brachypelma abopilosum (curly hair) they are awesome T's as well

Welcome and good luck

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Another good source of info for your species:
CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA

On the misting thing, don't bother. Misting only serves to annoy the tarantula and will evaporate so quickly it will not do any good anyway. You would be better served to occasionally overfill the water dish, letting the water soak the substarte immediately around the dish. Bu, as the others said G rosea likes dry substrate, so keep the dry.