Illinois residents BEWARE!

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought I'd post this video, as it has some relation on the whole matter of "having nothing to hide..." Its fairly long, but worth watching I think.

Don't Talk to Cops - By Professor James Duane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Part 2 should be in the links next to the video too...

Basically, on the idea that "Anything you say can and WILL be used against you" - means just that. You can be 150% innocent of any wrong doing, but they can still find something to find you guilty of if you let them.

Sad state of affairs really, that people who have done no wrong need to resist being at all cooperative or helpful just to protect their innocence.

Also always remembering how much our society leans towards filing lawsuits against ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, its generally best to be cautious about who you share anything with, legal or not. I have neighbors that would have loved to see us ticketed or arrested for having a bird feeder out, since they were convinced the thistle and hummingbird feeders were causing squirrels to chew through their house...there is absolutely nothing illegal about having birdfeeders, but they would've tried, and possibly succeeded had we not decided to just take down the feeders so we wouldn't have to deal with the crap from them...

The other annoying thing in IL is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a license or permit to keep any of the restricted species (say, if you get a snake at it grows past 6ft). Theoretically there is, but when I looked into it for our shelter (in case we got such an animal in and wanted to try and adopt it out), the only contact info for such inquiries was an email - and it bounced. So in reality, you just can't get a permit or whatever it is... :wall:

Guess the moral is to not let anyone you don't trust know about your critters, never assume that because you are innocent of any wrongdoing that they will actually acknowledge you as innocent, and never let anyone search your place or possessions without them having legal authority (ie a warrent) to do so...

Really does make me sad that our society has gotten to this point... :(

BearGrylls4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
<crap>, i live in Illinois. sorry about your bugs mate. hope it all works out

Last edited by a moderator:

hotbugs62

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No city laws that I know of. They didn't say anything about my snakes but they're all Ball Pythons and rarely exceed 6'. If I had the money to move I would. Missouri has more lenient laws and some counties don't have any. I'm just waiting on phone calls from a friends lawyer. He's going over the issue but I know my scorpions are froze by now. That is the way they do it here, sad but true. You give someone a little authority and they become GOD. It's a husband and wife team. NEVER trust anyone with the DNR they will set you up to make themselves look good. I'm sure it's the way I look, tattoos, piercings etc. One of the conservation officers even asked me if I did coke cause I had razor blades and a straw from a soda LOL. Typical. Oh they found no drugs LOL. I think they thought I had venomous snakes and had to take something not to look like asses.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If there is one thing I hate , its somebody messin with my stuff, the more I read this the more pissed I get.

Sorry dude.

hotbugs62

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's the main reason I posted this thread. I have been keeping some type of animal, reptile, or bug since I was 9. I worked with endangered reptiles and had all the permits before getting the reptiles. I did my research long ago on the more toxic scorpions and the laws in my state. Why after 30+ years are they messing with me now? No where did I see that the 2 species or any bug was illegal in my state. I bred Androctonus bicolor back in '93 and even wrote a paper on it for a small herp club newsletter. Now that I stay to myself BAM! They hit me. UNBELEIVABLE!

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Threadjack

I am currently watching the videos on youtube of Don't Talk to cops- worth the time to watch :thumbup:

hotbugs62

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good video. I did catch some lies the one guy (that did the confiscation) said. Abuse of authority to the extreme. His wife did lie to the conservation officers earlier this year before my buddy's May confiscation. She told him it was OK to keep them but they preferred him not sell them. His intent was to display them only. When they came to seize his she said she never said that. I was there when she said that one time. He told them I was the care taker since I had the experience and that's how I got involved, my experience.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You really really need to talk to a lawyer about this. I bet you have a case of some kind. I would sock it to them if you can at all.

Down with big brother!!

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You really really need to talk to a lawyer about this. I bet you have a case of some kind. I would sock it to them if you can at all.

Down with big brother!!
Theres truth to "absolute power corrupts"

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hearing about these cases popping up worries me. In Alabama, I am not aware of any laws pertaining to scorps, but things change over here so quietly that you never know. The states really try to take advantage of people. For example....

Fishing licenses used to last a year. If you bought it on January 1st, your license would cost you $16.50 and it would run out on January 1st of the next year. Well, they changed the law last year. ALL licenses expire on August 1st. If you buy your license on July 20th, it expires on August 1st. How much does it cost you ask...$16.50. There was not an announcement of this in any way. The cost is not prorated or anything. Then of course, on August first the game wardens are out trying to ticket everyone becuase they know people are unaware. Total robbery.

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think if you are going to get legal advice it would be better not to post anything here about it and kind of let this thread go. just my .02 cents

hotbugs62

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's what's going to happen. I talked to a few lawyers today and one deals with exotic animal laws. They think I have been seriously messed with. The DNR guy does that intimidation thing with the threats to try and keep people from doing anything legal against them (DNR/conservation). I sent copies of my warning and the paper work from 2 weeks ago. They even said they would do it at no cost so they must know something. Thanks for all the positive responses. This will be my last post on this thread. I will let everyone know what happens. Illinois money situation is pretty crappy now and their superiors are going to be pissed LOL. Thanks again. Bend over Big Brother.

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think if you are going to get legal advice it would be better not to post anything here about it and kind of let this thread go. just my .02 cents
Sound advise....
Let us know how it works out for you when it's all said and done.I'd send you some slings to get back on your feet.But I just lost a collection to a fire,Trying to rebuild my collection:mad:
Hope everything works out for you.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's what's going to happen. I talked to a few lawyers today and one deals with exotic animal laws. They think I have been seriously messed with. The DNR guy does that intimidation thing with the threats to try and keep people from doing anything legal against them (DNR/conservation). I sent copies of my warning and the paper work from 2 weeks ago. They even said they would do it at no cost so they must know something. Thanks for all the positive responses. This will be my last post on this thread. I will let everyone know what happens. Illinois money situation is pretty crappy now and their superiors are going to be pissed LOL. Thanks again. Bend over Big Brother.
Thats good to know. I wish you luck.

Swemba

Arachnopeon
Just had to comment on this as a long time CU resident. I've never run into problems buying alcohol after midnight (assuming the place doesn't close before then, most bars don't)
I was just there in April. it's actually law shared by Champain/Urbana districts or whatever. Went to 3 gas stations at 2 AM and could not buy beer on the first night. Second night was a race from Chicago to make it to a gas station 6 min before midnight so I could get a case.

Your right firearms are legal, but concealed permits are another issue. Especially in Chicago.

straywolf

Arachnopeon
Sad thing is that they confiscate it and are clueless on how to keep them.. ALIVE.

hotbugs62

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The DNR guy has a reputation on freezing animals he seizes. He's supposed to be for the welfare of the animal but kills them instead. You know what they say about people who abuse animals, they turn out to be serial killers LOL. I checked the ticket out and looked up what they gave me a warning for and it has to do with nothing why they seized them. The section they sited me on has to do with water fowl hunting ROTFLMAO! IDIOTS! Our tax dollars pay the salary of idiots.

hotbugs62

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No updates. Looks like I'm basically screwed. I don't have the money to get a lawyer and the ones I did talk to don't seem to want to take the case because of how unusual it is in this area. I want to call the director of the DNR but I know they mess with me again out of retaliation and I don't want the rest of my stuff stole. What ever he says goes I guess(the guy who seized them). Sucks really, cause I love working with the buthids. I hate it when people tell me what I can and can't do. I still haven't found any thing specificly saying I can't keep the more hot bugs. Thanks again for all the positive replies. If any thing changes I will let everyone know.