Iguana's

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Anyone have any experience with iguana's? How big do they typically get?
Any info on them would be helpful.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Green iguanas get 5-6 feet within a few years. They are easily one of the worst reptiles to keep as a pet. Only the very most committed keepers should consider them. There are other iguanas that are better as pets, but are pretty rare. Google is your friend.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Google will help you learn a ton. I will, however, point out that they need a large amount of room and can be difficult to "train". I planned on adopting one for quite some time but never ended up doing it. I do, however, know that they can be very rewarding pets if you REALLY have the dedication.
They're generally bad pets from what I know.
Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will chime in.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Thanks! =) I was just curious as to what people on here thought of them as well as their size. I don't think I am going to get one since they get so large and require such a large enclosure.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
Personally I don't know much about them - but a local reptile shop in Illinois (The Tye Dyed Iguana - they have a website :) ) actually specializes in adopting out green iguanas. One of the people working at the shop own a massive iguana, and dedicates an entire converted bedroom as the lizard's cage. They truly are a bad idea for a beginning pet owner - they have specific needs, get huge, and most cannot supply the space they need. For more information on whether you really want an iguana, I would highly recommend visiting the shop's website - under Available Exotics they have a whole tab about green iguana care and why they no longer sell the species.

Eugene

Arachnopeon
Throughout my childhood my father kept 3 iguanas and none of them were ever "friendly". They were tolerant for the most part but they never really liked to be touched or interacted with much. I now have one that I rescued a little over a year ago. When he came to me he was brown, thin, lethargic, and only 21". Now he is bright green, very chubby, and 40" snout to tail. He eats A TON of food every day. I go through one bushel of collard greens every 2-3 days depending on his appetite, not to mention all of the other veggies he gets every day. He has a large cage, but is seldom in it since he has his own room and I let him free range. Over the past year he has gone through major mood swings, which I have found normal with these guys. One day he can be the calmest lizard, and the next.. well, you better just stay away from him. :) I honestly wouldn't recommend keeping an iguana unless you have a ton of patience, time, space, and money to look after one properly.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I suffered a major bite to the hand when our male reached sexual maturity, it was like his personality changed overnight.