if you think all those tarantula stunts on TV are bad...

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
What purpose does this serve, other than to show the public that, yes, some snakes can swallow a human?! I cannot believe that the anaconda would enjoy this very much.
And as for coming out unharmed... I doubt we can say the same for the snake.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
This stuff ticks me off in a big way. I'm not sure it is real though, I thought snakes had a pretty strong stomach acid..? either way, it's ridiculous! Animal Planet, Discovery, the History Channel and Nat Geo are all so far away from what they are supposed to be about it's really sad.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I doubt it's "real". It will probably be like their other recent "documentaries" (mermaid, megaladon, Bigfoot, ...ugh... Ghost hunters).
90% will be about them trekking through the jungle "looking" for the snake with small bits of snake trivia peppered in between to help them prepare to make that suit.

Then for the last 10%, things will go one of three ways.

1. Don't find snake, this is how it would look like with liberal use of bad CGI!

2. They find snake, fake getting eaten with liberal use of bad CGI.

3. Find snake, suit doesn't work (surprise). So they try something else to get the film they wanted or just film it eating something large.

It will just be sensationalist garbage just like everything else they've produced for the last few years.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I doubt it's "real". It will probably be like their other recent "documentaries" (mermaid, megaladon, Bigfoot, ...ugh... Ghost hunters).
90% will be about them trekking through the jungle "looking" for the snake with small bits of snake trivia peppered in between to help them prepare to make that suit.

Then for the last 10%, things will go one of three ways.

1. Don't find snake, this is how it would look like with liberal use of bad CGI!

2. They find snake, fake getting eaten with liberal use of bad CGI.

3. Find snake, suit doesn't work (surprise). So they try something else to get the film they wanted or just film it eating something large.

It will just be sensationalist garbage just like everything else they've produced for the last few years.
Sums it up well.
What ever happened to truth in advertising? A little info blurb before the show, maybe? ->The following program fictionalized and is intended to entertain stupid people.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
My favorite part is the title, "Eaten alive". Because thats how snakes roll:sarcasm:

I got to reading some comments, and those people, who are not hobbyists in any sence of the word, seem to agree that this is just some stupid-hype TV show. Thats somewhat reassuring.

Last edited:

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
ghost hunters is the Syfy channel. and to be fair to them, at least they don't harm any actual ghosts in that show.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
ghost hunters is the Syfy channel. and to be fair to them, at least they don't harm any actual ghosts in that show.
sometimes I find the ghost hunting show's kind of entertaining honestly. Briefly, but sometimes I like the kind of t.v. programming that makes part of my brain melt. ;)

The Snark

Old Timer
Not that ghosts are much of a problem if you realize what their gig is. You can help them move on or learn to live with them. Things other are a different story, and far beyond the scope and capacity of sensationalism horsepucks..

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
Seems like they aired "Eaten Alive" Sunday night. According to a Washington Post article I found on the Internet, the whole thing was a disappointment, as the guy was never actually swallowed. I'm relieved overall that the snake wasn't put in any danger, despite the false promises, but... really? If you're going to call it "Eaten Alive" and hype it up this much, at least follow through! This is really about the principle of the thing, rather than the desire to see a snake swallow someone.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I watched the climax part on YouTube, it was like 3 minutes. No real strike, no real constriction, they probably rapped the snake around him and finally the snake barely tried to swallow the helmet part and the idiot wuss called it. Total bullcrap! Poor anaconda was harassed. What has Discovery Channel turned into?

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Unfortunately last night while channel surfing, I did catch the airing, watched maybe 8 minutes. Totally bogus, 1 the snake was way to small, 2 the guy had a steel helmet on the size of late 1800's deep sea diver, 3 a stupid stunt to up their ratings. I've had constrictors in the past and NONE ever swallowed live prey. I highly doubt any would, even in the wild.
Okay, I've vented enough, think my blood pressure is on the rise. Time to relax with my Ts.

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm trying - and failing - to relate this debacle to the 'grandpa' at the snake farm. ~ 25 foot and somewhere between 200 and 400 lbs depending on what games the blood sugar of the guesser is playing. Not that grandpa moves more than about 5 feet a year but nobody ever goes in his cage. If, by some rare chance he actually took offense and got motivated to chomp and give a hug it's broken bones time and a good chance he would have to be killed to get the victim free.

Grandpa. That's 1cm heavy wire mesh behind him making him ~9 inches thick. Want a hug, Discovery Channel people?

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
I saw this "climax" on youtube as well. Pretty sad that they had to stoop to this level to get views, felt very bad for the snake for having been put through that. Didn't feel so much for the human...perhaps 'grandpa's cage would have been a better option for the fool in the video.