If a female tarantulas is mated.....

bokgrasul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
....she will make a an egg sack. Corect ? Yeap
But after that, she will still be able to breed again after a while, right ? Yeap
Normaly , every time she will lay more eggs, and the next time, even more, and so on... because she is getting bigger and a more experienced mom.
My question is : for every single time we want an egg sack, we need to find a male and mate them ?
Or a single intercourse is enough to lay more times ?
:worship:

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are some species out there that will (on the rare occassion) double clutch however they are far less common than the tarantulas that need to be successfuly mated per egg laying.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just because a spider has been mated doesn't mean she will drop a sac.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I´ll borrow the thread:eek:
Does a female need to molt between eggsacks or can she be paired again without molting?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She can be paired again without molting.

The odds of her dropping a sac before molting are greatly decreased though.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She can be paired again without molting.

The odds of her dropping a sac before molting are greatly decreased though.
Agree.

In fact, it's best to mate a female about a month post molt. If a female molts she loses the sperm I believe. It's happened to me before.

Another good thing to think about is this, just because a pair was been mated and everything looks good, it doesn't make a female gravid. I like to pair them one last time just to be safe. I know it's dangerous for the male but he's on his way out anyway..

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a bit to add...

Many "true spiders" such as widows, orb weavers, etc can have sac after sac after sac from a single mating. These types of spiders are much shorter lived than tarantulas. Once they become mature they do not molt again, somewhat similarly to male tarantulas. They'll mate with the male and continue squeezing out eggsacs as long as the weather allows them (to live) and they have sufficient food to make eggs with.

Tarantulas, being much longer lived, will lay a sac (maybe a second one if you're lucky) then molt, shedding any remaining sperm along with the exuvium. To become gravid again they have to mate again.

And thus the confusion.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
To add to Moltar. This is true for most but not all species of tarantulas. There are species of tarantulas that will store sperm and not shed the sperm when they molt. E. olivacea is an example.

Thanks,
mike