Idiothele mira Sling setup

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Do you use cork bark or hides with them or just let them build a trapdoor? I got a 1/2” sling coming and want to get it setup before hand. Sling enclosure pictures would be nice if anyone has.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Neither- they will build trapdoor without a thing

Search my posts I wrote how much sub and head space the container will need over time sorta. In short, give more space between sub and lid than you might expect

cold blood

Staff member
Neither- they will build trapdoor without a thing
While this is absolutely true.....giving a hide will give a typical starting point for the burrow....I have given most of mine hides, and most have used them as their trapdoor point....but I have housed without or had them ignore hides and they still make a trapdoor eventually.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So pretty much either way they will build a trapdoor. That was my main concern as I wasn’t sure if they all build trapdoors and wanted to make sure it had a good hiding spot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So pretty much either way they will build a trapdoor. That was my main concern as I wasn’t sure if they all build trapdoors and wanted to make sure it had a good hiding spot.
Yep! The tunneling etc causes the sub height to raise significantly. It’s a fascinating species, one of my all time favs

I’m sure there’s some “gotcha” idiot who can say “mine never...” good, shut up we aren’t talking about exceptions.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Yep! The tunneling etc causes the sub height to raise significantly. It’s a fascinating species, one of my all time favs

I’m sure there’s some “gotcha” idiot who can say “mine never...” good, shut up we aren’t talking about exceptions.

Good to know, I saw your other posts on a few I. Mira threads about the substrate. I Left a little more room at the top. This will be a 1/2” sling.

I did add a piece of cork bark with a starter burrow in the corner, hopefully it will dig down the edge and i can remove the cork bark once it settles in. This way I can see it in the burrow if it stays near the enclosure edge. My luck its gonna ignore it and dig dead center. 😀

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good to know, I saw your other posts on a few I. Mira threads about the substrate. I Left a little more room at the top. This will be a 1/2” sling.

I did add a piece of cork bark with a starter burrow in the corner, hopefully it will dig down the edge and i can remove the cork bark once it settles in. This way I can see it in the burrow if it stays near the enclosure edge. My luck its gonna ignore it and dig dead center. 😀
I was REALLY lucky, she made a single burrow right against the acrylic and never changed, watched her the entire time.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So the sling decided to use the cork bark and build its trapdoor out the front of it like a cave with a trapdoor. I can see in the den now because the cork bark is against the enclosure. :D

It just sits with its feet out, such a cool species.

Fed it a cricket and it grabbed it and drug it under.

Instantly moved to my top favorite list. :cool: