Idea...

Derivative

Arachnosquire
This is most likely gonna be the stupidest idea many of you on arachnoboards have ever heard so please forgive me in advance. But what if when rehousing fast defensive species you put the enclosure in a tub full of water. So that if the T bolts it lands in the water and you scoop it out with a catch cup.Im thinking this could be semi usefull with speedy T's. Also the water would be at a high enough level so that the T's would avoid fall damage.
Also this isn't an idea I plan on trying out because I already have a fine rehousing method that works for me.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
This sounds messy and dangerous.

I always did my rehousing in the bathtub with the drain plug in. More space to catch an escapee.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I had an idea a while back as well that I have not tried.

Has anyone tried *feeding* their OW or skittish T before a rehouse? Like rehouse while they are holding the captured food? Seems like this may distract them at least a little....

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Personally, I wouldn't want to be trying to maneuver around a tub with water in it. Some people have suggested wetting down the tub before using it to rehouse, as it might slow down spiders if the sides are slick with water, but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Personally, I wouldn't want to be trying to maneuver around a tub with water in it. Some people have suggested wetting down the tub before using it to rehouse, as it might slow down spiders if the sides are slick with water, but I'm not sure how effective that would be.
Tried it years ago, it didn't seem to help. Made it messier in the bathtub which didn't please my wife..

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tried it years ago, it didn't seem to help. Made it messier in the bathtub which didn't please my wife..
I thought it probably wouldn't. The sides of my tub dry pretty quickly, so it's not like they are soaking wet for very long, and spiders could find enough dry spots that it wouldn't slow them down.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Its an interesting idea.I think the OP means,only filling water to about an inch,putting the enclosure in the
middle of the water, surrounding the enclosure with water.Coax the angry OW T out,and when it bolts,its forced to
swim,or at least wade,instead of racing away.I might try this on my upcoming rehouse later.
OP,not as stupid as you think.
I have tried the food diversion trick.Results were...drop prey and bolt,pissed off...bolt while holding said prey item
also pissed off.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
This is most likely gonna be the stupidest idea many of you on arachnoboards have ever heard so please forgive me in advance. But what if when rehousing fast defensive species you put the enclosure in a tub full of water. So that if the T bolts it lands in the water and you scoop it out with a catch cup.Im thinking this could be semi usefull with speedy T's. Also the water would be at a high enough level so that the T's would avoid fall damage.
Also this isn't an idea I plan on trying out because I already have a fine rehousing method that works for me.
I’ve seen people soo this on YouTube, filling there bath a bit and placing both enclosures in the middle, when the T bolts they just run round the enclosure and will stay off the water

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Defensive species are much easier to rehouse than flighty species. If they're defensive they boldly stand their ground, throwing those awesome threat poses, and you just put that little catch cup over them, watch them strike the inside, and go about your business. The flighty ones who like to bolt during rehouses are my nemesis. Every time I have rehoused my versi it has taken laps up and down my arm. The little goof jukes me every time. Moral of the story, if you've got a bolty tarantula the water will be a non-issue for it, as it will just trod up your arm, and if you can prevent that, you don't need water to slow it down. Keep it simple.

cold blood

Staff member
Ummm, major problem....a t can run across the surface of the water probably faster than the tub its self.

With experience, most new keepers that are or tend to be apprehensive about re-houses, will come to realize re-houses aren't all that time consuming or difficult. I remember as a newb I built up re houses to the point of sweating...lmao, and afterward it always ended up about nothing.

Newbies get in their heads about re housing too much and I was no different...its only natural.

Develop your own techniques and work on them...this is your best recipe for easy re-housing....not new methods:)

I prefer a simple catch cup transfer.

Bolty ts, bolt right in a properly placed deli cup...threat posturing ones just get the cup put over them...others are just easily ushered into the cup.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
If you accidentally knock into the huge container of water, you'll have an even bigger problem than a skittish T.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I’ve seen people soo this on YouTube, filling there bath a bit and placing both enclosures in the middle, when the T bolts they just run round the enclosure and will stay off the water
I haven't seen these YouTube videos, but that would be the behavior I would have predicted. Tarantulas absolutely hate being wet and will only go swimming if they feel like there is no other option. I can totally see a high strung tarantula going up and over the side of its container and start running laps on the outside instead of running into the water.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Sounds very creative, but it seems to complicate things more than it eases it. I have a strategy on housing/rehousing that involves planning. I make sure that all the enclosures and catchcups that i use fit perfectly, or almost perfectly into one another. So I don't necessarily have to cup the spider, i just usher the spider out of it's hide, it bolts out for the exit, and into my catch cup. Saves a lot of hassle, and is really damn safe because you're not giving the T even a chance to tag/bolt up your arm!

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
If the tarantula is currently in an enclosure that is smaller than the new enclosure, and if it is possible to place the smaller container inside the larger one, wouldn't it be easier just to open the smaller enclosure while it is inside the larger one and leave it in there overnight until the T goes into the larger enclosure on its own? Even pet holes come out of their burrows occasionally.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
If the tarantula is currently in an enclosure that is smaller than the new enclosure, and if it is possible to place the smaller container inside the larger one, wouldn't it be easier just to open the smaller enclosure while it is inside the larger one and leave it in there overnight until the T goes into the larger enclosure on its own? Even pet holes come out of their burrows occasionally.
Sounds easy but putting this into practice in reality is another story, yes you can do this with shipping containers, but doing this with an actual enclosure where they think home is is never going to work even if you’re pet hole does come out as soon as you disturb it it’s going to run back in. There is nothing wrong with rehousing if you do it properly so why is everyone trying to fix it, remember the saying if it’s not broke don’t fix it? Well that applies here I think

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I haven't seen these YouTube videos, but that would be the behavior I would have predicted. Tarantulas absolutely hate being wet and will only go swimming if they feel like there is no other option. I can totally see a high strung tarantula going up and over the side of its container and start running laps on the outside instead of running into the water.
I can’t remember who it was I’m sure I was just searching species specific videos I’m sure it was a Psalmopoeus Cambridgei video