ID South Africa Centipedes please

aquadementia

Arachnopeon
HI guys

Herewith two centipedes I found while rock flipping around Pretoria, Gauteng province, South Africa

Is this Scolopendra heros?

and I think this is Cormocephalus nitidus?

and here is a local snake that only eats centipedes - Apparalactus capensis (Black Headed Centipede Eater). They are mildly venomous, and max out around 40cm. Sometimes they get eaten by centipedes! This particular specimen was found in the same area as the centipede above

Found a ton of big blue centipedes further north a few months ago. miraculously failed to photograph them! :'(

thanks!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Very cool! While unsure of the identity of the first one, I can be pretty sure that isn't S. Heros. As for the second one, it certainly fits the Cormocephalus genus in my eyes, but don't bet the house on my identification.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Yeah @Staehilomyces is right, defiantly not S. Heros as they are absent in your neck of the woods. It's a strange CF of Scolopendra Morsitans 100% for sure, the terminal legs build and absences of a ring furrow give it away. Never seen anything like it, I would love to import some of these! Both species actually. You mention a big blue one, how big is it by chance? 15-20cm? Real interested in seeing that species, I suspect you are speaking of a rather rare giant Ethmostigmus sp., well rare in the hobby if not all together absent like these 2 you have here.

aquadementia

Arachnopeon
thanks guys! Very interesting, I'll search the forum for the species mentioned.

Guess what I found some snapshots on my phone
Yeah they were in that 15-20cm+ range.
They were VERY prolific where we found them. Literally hand to mind your step at night
20151125_111712.jpg
20151125_111820.jpg

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
I've been looking for a centipede like that for a longgg time, no current exporters ever have them or even know where to get them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, back in 2000 they were very plentyful in the bug trade,and yeah they were good sized ive kept many,and ofcourse had lots of babies from them, but after about a year from that, that was it they vanished from the trade. kept all of mine,babies then sold.traded etc,thinking oh yeah they'll be around for awhile.............nope that was it,wish i kept them and all.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
What were they like temperament wise? Also, do you know the scientific name of this beautiful species?

aquadementia

Arachnopeon
they werent too aggressive, I kept two adults together for a few days with no issues. They fed well and I could touch them without much hassle

Are there exporters from Africa or rather mostly European breeders?

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
There are plenty of exporters in Africa, mostly Tanzania to my knowledge though and they all have common, plain stuff.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
One question, how big was that Cormocephalus nitidus?

Edit: You also said that sometimes those snakes get eaten by centipedes. Have you ever seen this happen? If so, I'm sure we'd all love to see some photographs.

aquadementia

Arachnopeon
it was 5 - 6 inches, I didnt actually take photos for scale but it was in that range

Couldnt find the photos I've seen with the centipede actually eating the snake, but I did find the following:

A guy reversed over both in his garage :(

and here the snake won

F1refly

Arachnopeon
Well well well, fancy seeing you here. I've actually been looking for Ethnostigmus for a while but all we get here are small blue centipedes with red heads, and some sort of Caramel coloured one with a black lateral stripe.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Well well well, fancy seeing you here. I've actually been looking for Ethnostigmus for a while but all we get here are small blue centipedes with red heads, and some sort of Caramel coloured one with a black lateral stripe.
Pics of these pedes you speak of?

F1refly

Arachnopeon
I apologise for the quality, I had to resize each image so I hope not too much detail has been lost
The locality details for the first 2
Smithfield
Free State
South Africa
don't have the GPS yet
And both were found under cow dung

Blue
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
Caramel with Lateral Stripe
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG

And these 2 should be different forms of S. morsitans right? Not sure where exactly these were collected
IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG
This one ^ is actually smaller than the one just before, which is why its in a smaller tub. Its actually very deep

Attachments

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Very attractive creatures! The blue one looks like a Cormocephalus, to judge from the terminal legs. In Australia, there are many representatives of that genus, and they are quite colourful little characters.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I can't remember, is Cormocephalus missing spiracles on sements 6 & 7? Looks like it in the first pic. Looks like westwoodi. I think they also have S. African distribution? I wish I could make caramel guy out better.