ID request

Kaltheory

Arachnopeon
So for a back story, I had ordered a Tarantula in from Toronto; and when it Finally arrived (a day late thank you very much Canada Post) the Truck driver was FREAKING out. I mean this 50 year old man pounded on my door and demanded if I had ordered a spider (the box with the tarantula on it and label "Live Spider" may have been indicative to this accusation).

SO he tells me that it's loose in his truck and I have to go get it. I grab my catch cup and run out thinking if he hurt my new B. smithi I was going to lose it. when I found it under the seat it was definitely not my T but a wild true spider that who knows how it got there.

TL;DR - Found a wild unidentified spider in a Canada Post truck and I'd love for an ID and help deciding whether to keep it and add it to my collection or let it loose outside.

Can't say for sure where the truck started out at. but my box came from Ontario all the way to the eastern tip of Nova Scotia. I feel like the spider probably didn't come all the way from there but I can't say for sure!

any help would be great!

Cheers,
Kal

Attachments

Kaltheory

Arachnopeon
Hah! I kind of thought it looked widow-Ish but not quite.

Thanks for the ID!

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Steatoda borealis most likely. Slim chance of Steatoda bipunctata but they don't turn up nearly as often in that region around homes.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I personally would've screwed with that man's head hahaha

"oh NO! the black widow got loose!"

Kaltheory

Arachnopeon
I personally would've screwed with that man's head hahaha

"oh NO! the black widow got loose!"
LOL! You know I probably would have considered it if he hadn't of looked like he was half a step away from a heart attack.

tsk. people and their fear of spiders

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Speaking of spiders and heart attacks.
Saw a tourist woman the other day up in mom in law's village trying to make friends with a mud coated rug rat. The girl was clutching something tight to her chest which the woman was curious about. She was squatting down, asking what treasure the girl was hiding. Cajoled out of shyness a bit the girl suddenly extended her arm to shove her pet tarantula right up in the woman's face. I never knew that the village was in an echo canyon. I guess you have to get above 160 db.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Off topic but this happened with a bunch of dubia that came in the post. Anyways the mail lady knocks on my door freaking out and hands me a large plastic bag with a partially crushed box of dubia in it. It was around 500 mixed sizes or so. Anyways she tells me the box was damaged in transit or something and the tupperware that these guys came in within the box was cracked on one side so a good 100 or so got out at the post office and they postal clerks were running around frantically trying to collect them all and the only thing they could do was put the box into a plastic garbage bag and tied a knot in it. By the time they delivered it to me half the colony was crawling around outside the box. lol The postal lady used to bring my packages to the door and now she drops them in my mailbox these days. I have one of those neighborhood central mailboxes you have to walk to get your mail. it's a pain. If only she knew what was in those other 100 boxes she used to deliver. muhahhaha