ID please - shaped like a widow but not a widow?

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two of these guys hanging around in my house and I regularly check in on them and even feed them left over prey items on occasion, but I have no idea what they are. Any ideas? They don't look like any widows I've found online or in books but they are shaped like a widow and are the same size.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Doesn't look like a widow to me. A better picture would help but I would imagine it's just some sort of common house spider. Nice spider though

Argos

Arachnopeon
Tempting to think this might be Latrodectus due to the mark around it's spinneret and faint "finger marks" on the dorsal area of abdomen; however, Silberrucken is spot on with identification. I've kept one captive for a few years now and her progeny are into their third generation. It's a beautiful spider. And while they are quite friendly and would rather roll into a ball and play dead than attack, I've been bitten by this species. Experienced a slight fever and bruise-like warm pain around the bite, no necrotic lesions. was definitely not on par with Latro level venom. Closest looking widow is geometricus but even then the give away is the longer legs and much higher tensile /elastic modulus webbing.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I love these spiders, they'll make a tiny little web in the cupboard and defend the silverware!