id please...dolomedes triton?

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wc today in south nj at a small lake. was about to scoop up a bunch of very small fishing spiders and found this one by total accident. nice!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It reminds me of a Pisaura. I'm not particularly good with trues tho'. Cool bug, in any case.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It reminds me of a Pisaura. I'm not particularly good with trues tho'. Cool bug, in any case.
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Sorry...pet peeve of mine :D

Looks like one to me. Have you found any more since then?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Sorry...pet peeve of mine :D

Looks like one to me. Have you found any more since then?
you're only allowed to be annoyed at calling a spider a bug if you only call insects in the order Heteroptera bugs =P

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
triton. of all the fishers, these guys seem to be most restricted to the lake/stream habitat itself.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you're only allowed to be annoyed at calling a spider a bug if you only call insects in the order Heteroptera bugs =P
I know Heteroptera are true bugs...does that count? lol

Holy smokes that girl is fat! Egg sac on the way maybe?

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haven't seen anymore big ones. There are tons of little guys out there, but I don't know if they're slings/juvies or just a smaller species. Lots of small wolves as well.

I was wondering if she's gravid too. She has yet to eat. Will they build their nursery webs before or after they make a sac?

I'm new to hunting fishing spiders this year and I'm hoping to find some giants. If you find a bunch of tritons, are other big species usually nearby?

Thanks!

Last edited:

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
better picture

She ate 2 small crickets at the same time last night. Hoping for a sac!

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They sure are beautiful! I'm gonna sneak a Dolomedes fimbriatus, or even better, if I can find one, Dolomedes plantarius past my girlfriend. She thinks I have too many spiders now... But one or a dozen more can't hurt, right?