id needed - WC species in singapore

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hjehe i guess i make a mistake in measuring but any way its actual size should be like that of my avatar.. :) will try to post a pic when i take it with a rule hehe

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I actually meant that the size would tend to indicate that it was not a Lychas, not that your measurement was off. That being said, a good measurement would indeed be useful. Comparing it to your avatar is useless, since the size on the screen will depend on the resolution and size of the monitor it is being viewed on.

Cheers,
Dave

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup... sure make sense... haha will do a proper measurement before i post again...

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Walton,

Try to get an accurate measurement (mm) and a photo of the rear walking legs and let's try to determine what we have here. However, if your measurement is accurate (90 mm), the ONLY Lychas spp. that comes close to that size is L. scutilus (males to 86.5 mm; females to 65 mm), which does occur in Singapore. All other Lychas spp. are <70 mm in adult length (Based on Kovarik, 1997).

Take care,
Luc

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
which does occur in Singapore. All other Lychas spp. are <70 mm in adult length (Based on Kovarik, 1997).

Take care,
Luc
Is that locality reported in the Kovarik paper?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
fusion121 said:
Is that locality reported in the Kovarik paper?
Yes it is. Actually, the colouration matches not too bad, though all of the more relevent details are not apparent in the pictures.

Cheers,
Dave

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm ive taken a pic of the scop over a ruler.. heres the pic// also others like the legs the pincers... all that. i have put them together le.. hopefully they will mate soon! hehehe...

Last edited:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just a bit over 60mm (at least thats what Serpentines Widgets' snake measurer says)
still kinda hard to say about the tibial spur
but, i still think its there

thanks for the new pics!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
TheNothing said:
still kinda hard to say about the tibial spur
but, i still think its there
Isaac,

Go to his gallery and check out the picture of them grasping each other that is also shown in this thread. Scorpion on the right, leg IV -- pretty sure I see the spur.

I'd try to key it out as best as possible with the Kovarik key but I don't have the time right now and will be out of town tommorrow.

Cheers,
Dave

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
walton09 said:
i guess so too.. anyways. the whole album is updated.,,,

http://individualistic.multiply.com/photos/album/29

cheers! ive leave the couple alone and hope something happens. :)
make sure you add a rock/piece of wood or something with a smooth surface in the tank so the male can lay his spermatophore on it.

Otherwise it will be very difficult for them to complete mating.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isaac,

Not too many Lychas spp. reported from Singapore (however, this is not to state that other species do not occur there):

L. mucronatus (males & females 40-65 mm total length). Not mucronatus.
L. scutilus (males 60-86.5 mm/females 40-65 mm: PTC 15-20)

Luc

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes i saw them too.. and anyways i had something for it to hide, the surface is pretty smooth and i think he can easily use // :) how long will the spermatophore be able to stay there? im afraid that i might miss the chance to see it as i wont be home these two days maybe i can come homw and hopefully see some left overs of the spermatophore ? will there be any?

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i guess ill go with L. scutilus (males 60-86.5 mm/females 40-65 mm: PTC 15-20)

????? heheheh
because L.scutatus was reposted by Kian wee web.. but he didnt getthe exact id any ways...

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Occasionally scorpions may eat the spermatophore, though normally it will be left where it was deposited and is quite easy to see.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Occasionally scorpions may eat the spermatophore, though normally it will be left where it was deposited and is quite easy to see.
I think that it glows under UV light too.

Michael

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
I think that it glows under UV light too.
If i remember correct from an old threat on arachnoboards spermatophore doesn't glow under UV light:?

Regards
Michael

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was under that impression too but I think I saw one in my h.jakari tank the other day....
perhaps it could be a piece of an old exoskeleton but I'm 80% sure it was a spermatophore...

has anyone any fresh spermatophores to confirm if they glow or not?