ID my spider

Transient

Arachnosquire
When I first caught this guy he was very small, about 1/4" DLS. When I first spotted him I thought it was one of my then-tiny slings that had escaped, but no.

I've seen his adult counterparts around, which I suspect are Agelenidae family. I've always been unsure of the species, but since Agelenopsis is the common genus found here (southern Indiana) I assumed that was the genus. Now that my little guy is big enough to start showing coloring, I wanted to find out the species but instead became unsure of the genus.

So! Any ideas? 'He' is now about 1-1.25" DLS.

2012-01-08 13.34.51.jpg

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
It is definitely Agelenopis http://spiders.entomology.wisc.edu/Agelenidae/Agelenopis/species.html maybe someone could pinpoint the sp. I searched but all I got was Agelenopis species -.-
It is definitely not an Agelenopsis sp. & Agelenopsis always require a close up look at the genitalia, often dissection to determine the species.

That looks like a wolf spider in the family Lycosidae, however it is blurry and I cannot confirm the eye pattern. Using carapace and abdominal patterns to ID spiders will usually send you in the wrong direction. Body posture, eye arrangement, carapace & abdominal shape are good for finding the family, and possibly the genus. Also, Agelenopsis spp. have very distinct carapace markings, which this spider definitely does not share. Look at your image then this one again, if you look hard enough you will see what I am talking about, two dark strips vs 1 light strip...

Last edited:

Transient

Arachnosquire
I can't say exactly what the arrangement of the smaller ones are, but I do know that four of its eyes are large and it has kind of a squared-off carapace in the front. It doesn't really web, at all, but rather hides behind the tiny rock slab I gave it.

After a quick google, my spider does rather look a lot like some species of wolf spider. Would the species be difficult to identify, even with better photos?

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I can't say exactly what the arrangement of the smaller ones are, but I do know that four of its eyes are large and it has kind of a squared-off carapace in the front. It doesn't really web, at all, but rather hides behind the tiny rock slab I gave it.

After a quick google, my spider does rather look a lot like some species of wolf spider. Would the species be difficult to identify, even with better photos?
Lycosidae (wolf spiders) are generally very tough to ID to a species. This spider unfortunately will have to settle for family ID, I could not even be certain of the genus.

Transient

Arachnosquire
Lycosidae (wolf spiders) are generally very tough to ID to a species. This spider unfortunately will have to settle for family ID, I could not even be certain of the genus.
Well, so long as it's not a hobo spider. Once it gets warm out I'm going to release him back into the lawn.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Well, so long as it's not a hobo spider. Once it gets warm out I'm going to release him back into the lawn.
Why would you be concerned of Tegenaria agrestis (hobos). They are harmless, docile, and recently a 2 year study on the components of the venom has shown they do not cause necrosis, or anything medically significant to vertebrates. Vests initial claims of dermenecrosis have not been reproduced in any labs.

I handle hobos almost daily, the only spiders in the US you need to be cautious of are fiddle backs & widows.